Default calling home: phone calls from Jamaica to USA

Looking for ideas on calling the States from Jamaica. Anyone use their room phone and pay with their romance credits?
    thanks!
    Last edited by bribo; November 30th, 2015 at 10:21 AM.

You've got a couple of free options available. You can use WiFi calling on your phone or if you have an Apple product you can Facetime with your loved ones back home. Both options are free. You also can email with loved ones from the computer room for free.

I did use my cell phone last year and the cost wasn't horrible, but I was only on the phone for a couple of minutes. Once I used the room phone and thought the charge was a bit too much. There are better options out there.

Save your romance credits for fun things like a dinner on the beach, spa treatments, or goodies to take home from the resort stores.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

I would think that your idea of using your room telephone would be about the most expensive option.

Most people will use instant messaging instead. The resort has free Wi Fi. They will use something like Skype, Google, etc. Can be done from any smartphone or PC. I think the computers in the Internet Cafe are equipped with webcams and are available 24/7. Most times you can find more than one not being used.

Some people will rent a cell phone at the airport. Not sure of the rates. I think there is a kiosk in both the arrival and departure terminal.

I will usually get a temporary Caribbean calling plan put on my phone. Prices vary. But I have a company phone and the company I work for pays for it. Last time it was less than $30 for a voice only plan. I switch the data off on the phone because most access I use is via the resort Wi Fi.

This is a personal preference but we like to leave the real world behind while we are in paradise. 99.999% of the time my phone is turned off and locked in our room safe. I will only occasionally turn it on to check messages. I use the resort Wi Fi and connect via an instant messaging app if I need to contact anyone. I have most other features on my phone turned off so there are no unexpected charges when we get home.

Enjoy your stay in paradise

Only 79 more days until we return to CSA
    Jack and Kathy
    CSA 2007, 2010, and 2016. CTI 2012, 2014. CN 2016 (Trading Places only), 2018, 2020. 2022?

Download an app called magic app (from magic jack) pay 1.99 to get a local area code (your hometown area code) and make calls or get calls for free over wifi

Quote Originally Posted by CK1115 View Post
    Download an app called magic app (from magic jack) pay 1.99 to get a local area code (your hometown area code) and make calls or get calls for free over wifi
    thanks, this is one good option. I'll investigate.

It's actually not bad to call from the room. We always use our rewards toward it. I only call home once during the trip and keep it to 5-10 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Coloradojuli View Post
    You've got a couple of free options available. You can use WiFi calling on your phone or if you have an Apple product you can Facetime with your loved ones back home. Both options are free. You also can email with loved ones from the computer room for free.

I did use my cell phone last year and the cost wasn't horrible, but I was only on the phone for a couple of minutes. Once I used the room phone and thought the charge was a bit too much. There are better options out there.

Save your romance credits for fun things like a dinner on the beach, spa treatments, or goodies to take home from the resort stores.
    We have phone/cable/internet with Time Warner (TWC). They have a free "Phone To Go" app that I put on my android cell phone.

"Phone 2 Go is an app that extends your TWC Phone service and features to your mobile devices. You can receive incoming phone calls and place calls utilizing your TWC Phone phone number, all from your mobile device. All thatís required is a WiFi or cellular data connection. You can even manage and listen to your voicemail messages.
    The Phone 2 Go app is available to download for free as an added value for you as a TWC Phone customer so that you can enjoy more of what you love about your service. Keep tabs on your TWC Phone account from anywhere you have a WiFi or cellular data connection, so youíll never miss a call and manage and listen to your voicemail messages without having to sign onto the web."

Just sayin': This worked for me at CTI.