Thread: CSS vs CN

Default CSS vs CN

First visit to a Couples resort was to CN last March and we LOVED it. Would love to return this year but price of CN has increased by >20%. So, looking at CSS which seems to have more reasonable prices for same time of year. Question - from reading various sources I get the impression that a greater proportion of guests of CSS are inclinded towards AN than are guests of CN. Wondering if my wife and I (who are not AN-ers) would feel "out of place" at CSS? We really loved the beach at CN and the watersports. Is CSS just as good?

You won't feel out of place at all. But, the beach is nowhere near as good as Negril and the watersports aren't as good either. CSS is on a very small bay (which is usually very calm), but if you want a little more room you have to go out past the reef and out of the bay and the water can be quite rough. We prefer calm waters for sailing, but if you like excitement...
    <font size=2>
    CN 2006, CSS 2009, CN 2009, CN 2010, CTI 2010, CN 2011, CSS 2012, CN 2012, CN 2013, CSA 2014, CN 2014, CSA 2015, CN 2015, CN 2016, CN 2018, CN2019

Our 2 favorite Couples resorts are CN and CSS. CN has the nicer beach but CSS has a lot to offer. CSS is absolutely beautiful with a lot of walkways and lush vegetation. The beach is smaller but private with no beach vendors. The rooms are true suites with mini bars and in-room dining and wonderful views of the ocean. The staff is fantastic as is the food. We were at CN this past July and are going to CSS next April. We love the Beachfront rooms and are anxious to see the new rooms. We never do the AN. No problem. And the more couples that go to the AN beach the more room for us other couples on the regular beach. You definitely will not feel out of place. Go for it!!

If beach is the big draw for you, then CSS isn't your best choice. The beach is small and the water is not as crystal clear and free of rocks and sea weed as CN's beach is. While I really enjoyed CSS and the property is beautiful and very romantic, the beach just doesn't cut it. I missed CN the entire time I was there. The water sports are the same except CSS does not have the catamaran trip. Please don't get me wrong, I would go back to CSS in a heart beat, but my favorite resort of all four (and I've been to them all) is CN.

Also, you can still very much enjoy the resort without going to the AN beach. In fact, the textile beach seems to be less crowded because of the AN beach and all the guests over there. If your pocketbook says to go to CSS, then don't hesitate. Just be prepared that the beach does not live up to the beaches in Negril.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

You would definitely NOT feel out of place. The two beaches are separated by a peninsula, so it is much different than the AN area at CN.

That being said, do not expect the long winding beach that you experienced at CN. The main beach is quite small. There are no vendors on the beach either.

Don't let me scare you away however, after one year at CN, and one at CTI, CSS is hands down our favorite.

We are heading to CSS in 13 days and fall into the same category as non AN-ers. This will be our fourth Couples property and feel the AN features are not important to us. We just enjoy the rest of the resort. CSA still remains our favorite and will be back (home) in February.

Life is good

CSS is beautiful. It is awesome just to explore the place. We loved it! However, my wife is a beach person. There is no comparison between the two when it comes to the beach.
    CN has few rivals while CSS has a pretty poor beach in comparison. In addition to the grounds being amazing at CSS we absolutely loved the beach grill restaurant for both lunch and dinner.
    The beach grill at CN (at least for lunch) does not compare. It was our favorite restaurant at CSS.
    If I was going back to CSS and was not going to enjoy SSB, I would likely spend my day at the mineral pool.
    Both of these resorts are special in their own ways. It's a win-win.
    Last edited by rhallva; November 14th, 2015 at 09:39 AM.

The beach at CSS really doesn't compare with CN. We do a split stay between CSS and CN only because two weeks is too long in one spot. The AN facilities at CSS are quite popular, but there are still those who use the regular beach. Just be prepared for a totally different beach experience.

Our biggest negative with CSS is the buffets. Some love buffet dinners, but they just don't do it for us. Waiting in numerous lines to eat cool food just isn't our thing. Even the repeater's dinner is buffet there.

Here in the great white north, buffet meals are considered a sign of a cheap resort. While we know Couples isn't cheap, we do make the buffets clear to friends who ask about CSS.

Thanks all for the very helpful responses!!

All buffets as CSS??? Not true and I have never attended a repeaters dinner that was buffet style.
    Gene and Jeanne
    CSS October 2012, 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017
    CSS/CTI October 2018

Just remember you are staying with Couples and it will be a wonderful experience. One nice thing about the resorts in Ochi is they are private, and no vendors. Be sure to do a trading spaces day to CTI and check out the beach there. It is private and intimate.

Quote Originally Posted by JEANNEW View Post
    All buffets as CSS??? Not true and I have never attended a repeaters dinner that was buffet style.
    I agree, not all buffet. It's been a few years since we've been to css but the restaurant up top (Casanova?) was ala carte. All the food at css was excellent.

Palazina offers ala carte in the evenings and the main beach grill turns into Bella Vista for ala carte evening dining....then turns back into the beach grill and is open all night....never tried it after dinner hours.
    Gene and Jeanne
    CSS October 2012, 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017
    CSS/CTI October 2018

Quote Originally Posted by JEANNEW View Post
    Sorry if I was unclear. More buffets. Usually 3 dinners including the Repeater's dinner. We didn't go to Jamaica this year so maybe they changed it, but in the three years previous the Repeater's dinner at CSS was buffet. I haven't heard that it changed, but I have been wrong before. /shrug