Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Since I have been in education for 36 years we take all kinds of school supplies for children. We leave some each day for the ladies that clean our room with a thank you note. What we don't give away we leave at the front desk for them to send to a school. Our suit case is always lighter on the way home than on the way down there.

Quote Originally Posted by Gin Mon View Post
    And I'll let the mods decide whether I can participate or not.
    I made sure to report the post, as well as others in the same vein, since you are unable to display the respect that was requested in the thread from management.

Fun fact: That thread actually exists because of you.

Have an overproof and log off for a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by KrisJamie View Post
    I made sure to report the post, as well as others in the same vein, since you are unable to display the respect that was requested in the thread from management.

Fun fact: That thread actually exists because of you.

Have an overproof and log off for a bit.
    Here's another fun fact: Being a snitch isn't really something to brag about.

I always enjoy these tipping / gifting threads….

For what it's worth, we typically bring aspirin (adult / children), cough drops, cold capsules. These travel easily, and have been well received, as these OTC meds are pretty expensive on the island. We learned to do this when one of our favorite bartenders complained of a back sprain. I happened to have a 1/2 full travel bottle of aspirin, and when I offered it to him he was ecstatic.

Here's another fun fact: Being a snitch isn't really something to brag about.
    I'm just sharing with the class, so they know how to block the sad, ornery poster we've all come to roll our eyes at.

Thanks, sweetie!

Quote Originally Posted by gonegril View Post
    I always enjoy these tipping / gifting threads….

For what it's worth, we typically bring aspirin (adult / children), cough drops, cold capsules. These travel easily, and have been well received, as these OTC meds are pretty expensive on the island. We learned to do this when one of our favorite bartenders complained of a back sprain. I happened to have a 1/2 full travel bottle of aspirin, and when I offered it to him he was ecstatic.
    Careful, you don't want to "brag" about helping people. There are some sensitive snowflakes on the board that would like to snark about it.

I just have to say that I am being entertained nicely with this thread. Keep it up!

Surely the whole point of no tipping is because the people you do not see like the chefs, dishwashers and whatever goes on out of sight, will never receive tips. Similarly they will never receive the gifts that you bring.
    Sorry, but I do not agree with gifts...maybe leave a book you have read or toiletries that you no longer need....but bringing gifts is patronising....just my opinion! Plus I am British so tipping is unfamiliar to me. In the UK there is no obligation to tip anywhere. I was mortified the first time we went to FL and the server said he needed a tip!
    Just my thoughts!

There are some angry elves on here, aren't there? We usually bring chocolates and other edible treats for watersports and room service (these folks are very physically active all day, really make our Couples experience, and they appreciate a mid-shift treat). We sometimes bring snorkeling or dive accessories for the dive team, since we spend every day with them. We bring really high quality hand lotions (chemical free and very emollient) for housekeeping and school or art supplies for their kids. We sometimes bring other gifts for individual staff members that have become our friends or that have really gone the extra mile to make our trip a great one. We always include a personal note with our gifts, to ensure that staff do not get in trouble. I hope this helps.

I have also brought meds etc, but please be careful with aspirin as if given to children under 12 can cause serious medical conditions. I was also told soap is expensive and appreciated, so this is something else I have brought with me. I understand the 'behind the scenes' staff may get left out, but hope that other staff share around to anyone who needs it. Naive of me, perhaps, but I like to think the best of people.

We brought boxes of Girl Scout cookies one year. One of our favorite treats that aren't available in Jamaica.

Quote Originally Posted by KrisJamie View Post
    I'm just sharing with the class, so they know how to block the sad, ornery poster we've all come to roll our eyes at.

Thanks, sweetie!
    Love this reply.....Gin Mon, seriously?? Preach about respect in one reply and then become completely disrespectful and snarky in all others....nice job!!! Maybe you should try to practice what you preach
    Gene and Jeanne
    CSS October 2012, 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017
    CSS/CTI October 2018

Blog Entries

Gentle Reminder!!!

Let's be Respectful to each other on the Message Board
    To all our Message Board readers and posters,

The board was intended to be a place where everyone is respectful while sharing their personal views/opinions. However when we see the nature of the correspondence becoming combative we reserve the right to close various threads. We ask that in sharing your feedback/opinions/comments/observations you do so in a respectful manner so we can ALL continue having fun via this medium which I personally enjoy being a part of.

Thank you.

Michelle G "IslandGirl"
    Michelle Gordon
    ------------------
    On-Island Social Media Coordinator
    Couples Resorts

We are Canadians and were told they love trinkets with Canadian Flags on them, so last couple of times we brought keychains, hats, wallets, pens, chocolates etc etc with Canadian Flags on them, they loved them. We make sure we give something to everyone of the staff we encounter we a brief Thank you note. I feel bad that they can't really accept tips but it's our way to appreciate their amazing service.

Welcome to North America, land of the tipping lol Honestly, you don't have to do anything if you don't want to, but it's customary in our country to tip if good service is provided. I waited tables and bartended for years, you realize that with the wages we make in that industry you couldn't make a living especially if you're a single mother or father. These servers depend on tips to supplement their low wages and I've been to the UK and around Europe people there DO tip, not sure where you're from, yes, you are not obligated to tip nor is it the law but unless you've worked in that industry you will never understand. I'm basing this on your statement of "tipping is unfamiliar to me". This thread is not posted to tell you you should give something, it's for people like us who like to give a little back and want some ideas. You realize that this is a 3rd-world country and wages there are ridiculous compared to what you and I make. I had the honour of spending some time with the locals and I know what they get paid there, you would vomit if you had this knowledge. I'm a sucker for gratuity because I've worked half my life in the hospitality industry, I even tip when service is not that great, you have to be pretty much horrible for me not to tip you.

How about just treating the staff with the same respect that any of us would expect? "Please" and "thank you" go a long way to anybody in the service and hospitality industries. If certain staff members stand out, mention their names on the comment card. I just don't get the condescending attitudes of some guests, thinking that they have to leave tips or bring gifts to these "poor, unfortunate" Jamaicans. The majority of staff members I have met seem very happy and take great pride in their work, and certainly don't seem to be putting on an act. And yes, I am aware that Jamaica is a poor country. However, by Jamaican standards, I would think that Couples employees have it pretty good. There are several reputable Jamaican charities that anyone can make contributions to, if they so desire.

Ok. Fire away!!!!!
    LOL, love it. You've also been greatly misinformed. Of course they are nice and courteous to you, they have to be or out the door they go and there's a line up for people waiting for their jobs. "Please" and "Thank you" does go a long way but doesn't pay bills period. I've spent half of my life the hospitality industry, we appreciate the Please and Thank Yous but we would also appreciate the tips for our excellent service to you. If you did not receive good service then don't tip, period. I have nothing but respect for the staff but I like to give something to them, call it a treat or a bonus if you may. Put it this way, getting a tip is like getting the bonus at work, wouldn't you like to have that in YOUR job? Some people depend on it, this is in a weird way the same, the bonus is designed for work well done by the employee, I'm pretty sure the staff there don't get "bonuses". I would be very surprised if they did. You don't have to tip if you don't want to or give any gifts or treats or what ever, but don't try to justify for others who would like to give a little something back.

Agreed, there's always those people, just because they don't do it, no one else should lol. These people are greatly misunderstanding this thread. We aren't volunteering to support their families, we just want to give them a token of our appreciation for their hard work. And if there was a puppy trapped in a drainage and I was there I would help it haha...

I take a total figure of what "I may have tipped" and donate to the ISSA TRUST FOUNDATION. Simple, needed and I feel good about it.
    Mike & Martha

CSS 2010, 2013, 2014
    CTI 2011
    CN 2012

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2