Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default No tipping, got it. What can we bring to show our appreciation?

Hi friends,

Mrs Amy and I will be going to Couples Negril for our very first time in just a few weeks. We have heard that bringing small gifts are a smart way to say "thank you" to folks both at the resort and out and about. We have heard small school supplies (crayons, etc), hairbands, lip balms, even chocolates.

Can anyone help us be thoughtful but not rude or out of line with any gift ideas?

Thank you in advance. We can't wait to be in paradise.

We always take chocolate for the cleaning crews, for all that they do during the week. This year I took several packs of guitar strings for a couple of beach entertainers-after talking with one last year, I was told that things like that are expensive and at times hard to get their hands on in Jamaica. mike

The best gift would be to menton the person by name to management.
    Jack and Kathy
    CSA 2007, 2010, and 2016. CTI 2012, 2014. CN 2016 (Trading Places only), 2018, 2020. 2022?

That's funny, Mike&Sylvia...we did exactly the same thing. A plate of Ghirardelli Miniatures in the room with a note to "enjoy some chocolate", and guitar strings for Iceblock and Nevin on the beach. Of course, everyone we interacted with got a mention on our comment card. They ought to give you a scorecard when you check in so you can write everyone's name down!

How about just treating the staff with the same respect that any of us would expect? "Please" and "thank you" go a long way to anybody in the service and hospitality industries. If certain staff members stand out, mention their names on the comment card. I just don't get the condescending attitudes of some guests, thinking that they have to leave tips or bring gifts to these "poor, unfortunate" Jamaicans. The majority of staff members I have met seem very happy and take great pride in their work, and certainly don't seem to be putting on an act. And yes, I am aware that Jamaica is a poor country. However, by Jamaican standards, I would think that Couples employees have it pretty good. There are several reputable Jamaican charities that anyone can make contributions to, if they so desire.

Ok. Fire away!!!!!

Even before there was a Message Board, we have always brought candy to leave for the housekeeping staff each day. It was something that carried over from a trip to the DR over ten years ago, where we left those items and a monetary tip each day (it was a tipping-style all-inclusive). One of the managers at CN, who we know pretty well after four trips, told us in all honesty that the girls really do appreciate it, and we get that same sentiment when we cross paths. It's not they they deserve something others do not, but it's a simple show of appreciation and is always well-received. We both worked in hospitality in our former lives and always show respect, so that might help Outside of that, we follow the resort's policy and highlight the best people on our comment cards. In all of our trips, there was only one guy (a new employee on our last trip) who got a poor review, but he was a total (fill in the blank) for no reason. Respect goes both ways.
    "Brutalize me with music..."

CN: 11/2007, 11/2010, 11/2011, 11/2013, 11/2015, 11/2016, 11/2017, 11/2018

Gin Mon, thank you for your spirited response. No need to reply further, as I was in the service and hospitality industry for years and understand your position.

For everyone else, thank you! I'll look into possibly guitar strings for the beach musicians, and perhaps I will look into the ISSA Trust foundation for a direction to share some happiness with others. I understand school bags and supplies are being collected. The contact is: diane.pollard@issatrustfoundation.com

I agree Gin Mon !

I completely agree with Gin Mon. Our favorite is St. Anthony's Kitchen in Negril

I couldn't make it to St. Anthony's Kitchen and actually had found out about it from one of the great guys whom work with the Water Sports last time we where there. He was able to get most of what we brought to them. Call it what you want....(feeling good about charity) I give stuff here at home to the care corps all the time. When I stay in a hotel I usually leave $3 a day for the maid service. My 82 year old Dad taught me that. I also collect all the shredded paper in our office and take it to the humane society every month for the animals. I do feel bad for the POOR children....I have a 6 and 3 year old, whom can grab as many batteries of any size out of our cupboard any day of the week (just one example). NOW from the ones whom I have met on the resort, they don't have that choice. So I do bring stuff for the staff every time. I do feel good about that. I also bring candy...for I eat it as well. It is nice to share an Almond Joy with a new friend! 4 years ago we brought a suitcase of supplies that weighed 80lbs....went to the front desk twice to inquire. NOT one response! Would of been great for the Issa Trust. So we gave it to one guy who worked the grill all week through the night shift. On the last night he shared a photo of his child...We gave him the whole suitcase..it had wheels...HE cried, he hugged and said he would share it with the neighborhood...for they all could use it. I know I got off on a rant there...but I don't see what is wrong with giving?

Quote Originally Posted by deadluvor View Post
    I couldn't make it to St. Anthony's Kitchen and actually had found out about it from one of the great guys whom work with the Water Sports last time we where there. He was able to get most of what we brought to them. Call it what you want....(feeling good about charity) I give stuff here at home to the care corps all the time. When I stay in a hotel I usually leave $3 a day for the maid service. My 82 year old Dad taught me that. I also collect all the shredded paper in our office and take it to the humane society every month for the animals. I do feel bad for the POOR children....I have a 6 and 3 year old, whom can grab as many batteries of any size out of our cupboard any day of the week (just one example). NOW from the ones whom I have met on the resort, they don't have that choice. So I do bring stuff for the staff every time. I do feel good about that. I also bring candy...for I eat it as well. It is nice to share an Almond Joy with a new friend! 4 years ago we brought a suitcase of supplies that weighed 80lbs....went to the front desk twice to inquire. NOT one response! Would of been great for the Issa Trust. So we gave it to one guy who worked the grill all week through the night shift. On the last night he shared a photo of his child...We gave him the whole suitcase..it had wheels...HE cried, he hugged and said he would share it with the neighborhood...for they all could use it. I know I got off on a rant there...but I don't see what is wrong with giving?
    I wish this message board had a like button! I would like this post a million times over. I couldn't agree more and thank you for your generous spirit. I wish the world had more people like you in it. If you have the time, resources and ability to share your good fortune, even a little bit, wouldn't that make the world a better place?

And so modest about all of your charitable endeavors! Please stand up and take a bow!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gin Mon View Post
    How about just treating the staff with the same respect that any of us would expect? "Please" and "thank you" go a long way to anybody in the service and hospitality industries. If certain staff members stand out, mention their names on the comment card. I just don't get the condescending attitudes of some guests, thinking that they have to leave tips or bring gifts to these "poor, unfortunate" Jamaicans. The majority of staff members I have met seem very happy and take great pride in their work, and certainly don't seem to be putting on an act. And yes, I am aware that Jamaica is a poor country. However, by Jamaican standards, I would think that Couples employees have it pretty good. There are several reputable Jamaican charities that anyone can make contributions to, if they so desire.

Ok. Fire away!!!!!
    What a fantastic response!!! Cannot add anything else... except... where's the "Like" button???

I heard that everyday first aid items are super expensive. I always bring travel packs of pain meds like Excedrin and first aid stuff, to gift. Everyone gets a headache and needs bandaids at some point. School supplies are also extremely appreciated. I bet they get a lot of candy/chocolate so I try to mix it up a bit.
    Any other 'outside of the candy box' ideas???

Becky & Wayne
    CTI in April 2010

batteries......fantastic idea

Becky & Wayne
    CTI in April 2010

Jeez Gin Mon - Completely unnecessary and uncalled for. Wow - I am hoping you read this wrong or that I am reading your response wrong but Deadluver was just giving some examples of how easy it is to help someone else out. Your response to it is what makes this message board seem so unfriendly and unwelcoming. I certainly appreciated your comment about helping people outside the resort but you sure ruined it for me with this one.

And for you Gin Mon...I took a bow right here at my computer. I was giving examples, NOT bragging. You are no better! if you have nothing nice to say....you know the rest. Do not participate in these threads if you don't like modest, charitable givers.

And for you Gin Mon...I took a bow right here at my computer. I was giving examples, NOT bragging. You are no better! if you have nothing nice to say....you know the rest. Do not participate in these threads if you don't like modest, charitable givers.
    Somewhere there's a puppy stuck in a drainage pipe just waiting for you to rescue it. And of course you won't be bragging if you tell the whole world about it. And I'll let the mods decide whether I can participate or not.

you are twisted

Quote Originally Posted by Gin Mon View Post
    Somewhere there's a puppy stuck in a drainage pipe just waiting for you to rescue it. And of course you won't be bragging if you tell the whole world about it. And I'll let the mods decide whether I can participate or not.
    WOW Gin Mon....
    Although I agreed with your original answer about respect.....I now feel that maybe it would be difficult for you to show that respect. Show that respect that you boast about on the message board.
    Bless up mon!
    Gene and Jeanne
    CSS October 2012, 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017
    CSS/CTI October 2018

Slow down people...dead... if you want to help out those that don't have and could use it ...GREAT!!! But why do it through a Resort that Spec's no tipping??? Why not just go through a site that spec's donations go to the needy in Jamaica. Gin... your response at # 5 is spot on... but it seems it might be time for a cold Red Stripe just about now!! Swept Away says no tipping... what's not so clear? People... If you want to help, help the community, you don't need the recognition1

Nice touch Gin Mon, OP was simply asking a question as to what else one could do to show appreciation for the hard work most of the Couples staff puts in on a day to day basis. I think it goes without saying-that treating the staff with respect and saying things like "please " and "thank you" go a long way. We tend to take a lot of things for granted here in the states, and if doing something to show a tiny bit of gratitude makes there day more enjoyable-great ! If you aren't interested in contributing any ideas, might do you some good to not comment....

Everybody appreciates kindness & consideration. Courtesy and respect are easy things to share and we do that. Sometimes, a small gift is a way to let somebody know that you think about them and think they are special (and who doesn't like that?).

We are CN people and absolutely love Donnavon Dalrymple. This past April we brought Donnavon a Rutgers shirt (we know that he loves red - the Rutgers Scarlet Knights color) and we hoped that he would appreciate that we were thinking of him from afar. There was no disrespect intended and I think none taken. Since then, we occasionally see a vacationer post photos from their CN trip...and it gives us a special thrill when we see one of Donnavon wearing his Rutgers shirt. April 2016 is already booked...and will be bringing our friend a new Rutgers shirt. GO RU! (maybe some guitar strings, too...does anyone here know the gauge he uses?)

People never cease to amaze me. An innocent thread about someone wanting to show appreciation turns into sarcasm and name calling. I think some of you missed out on the whole "respect" concept.

In response to the OP's question. I have also gone to Bath & Body Works and bought their gifts that include soap, lotion, poofs, stuff like that. They frequently have great sales on their individual items. You can buy some of those and create your own gift bags. I have given it to the ladies who clean my room and they have expressed the appreciation for the gift. It worked out very nice as the space I used for the gifts on the trip to Jamaica were taken up with coffee for the return to home.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast