Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Convince us Couples (CTI) is the place to choose.

We are planning a trip for our 15th wedding anniversary in September of 2016. So far we have our list narrowed down to 2 resorts, one being Couples Tower Isle. Compared to the other resort on our list CTI is less expensive and has more inclusions (catamaran, Dunn's River Falls etc.). CTI also offers a military discount, which I would have to look into more (my husband is in the army reserves). The other resort seems to have more little intimate areas like fire pits, hammocks and cabanas. It also looks much prettier and seems to have a more romantic atmosphere. Please convince us that cost should not be the only reason we should choose CTI over the other resort.
    Thank you!

Are both resorts in Jamaica? Out of curiosity - why did you eliminate the other Couples resorts? Perhaps mentally refreshing your list of why the others were crossed off will point you in the right direction. I've not been to CTI, so I can't speak from experience but we got starry eyed with a resort in the Dominican Republic for our Honeymoon instead of doing a split resort Couples vacation. Of course we had a great time - it was our honeymoon, but we both agreed that we liked Couples (and Negril) much more.

My wife and I have been to CSA 3 times and CTI 3 times and I can say that we do like each. We just got back from CTI and I did publish a review on the Couples Website, August 2015 Review. We loved CSA and it does have a much prettier and nicer beach and you can walk out a long way from the shore before it gets deep and with a minimal surf. CTI beach is much smaller but it is also very private as there are no venders that walk by. The venders are generally not a problem at CSA as they are only allowed so many feet away from the ocean and if you are not interested in what they have to sell just say no thanks and they generally leave you alone. CSA is much more spread out so there is a fair amount of walking and there are no elevators so try for a first floor room if you don't want to climb stairs. We tried CTI because it was cheaper and my wife wanted to try another Couples property. We did like CTI because it is smaller and we have met friends that we keep in touch with all year and all try and return at the same time each year. I am a diver and I was worried that the staff at CTI would not be as good as CSA, well after going there the staff there is just as good. The resort has a more intimate feel to it as it is smaller. In our opinion the swim up pool bar is far superior at CTI as it is larger and the staff keeps things interesting with the games and stories. We feel that the food is equal at each resort but the piano bar is better at CSA with Ultimate Chocolate although Eddie at CTI is a very close second. The staff, what can you say, they are excellent at each resort. The rooms are about the same at each resort, we generally get the third floor in building 3 (Premier) but after looking next year we will try the Superior or Deluxe in building 4 facing the island, we like to look at the ocean while we are eating our breakfast on the deck. We generally don't go off the resort as we have done most of the tours that are included but we do go to Scotchies as the food is most excellent and very inexpensive (Jerk) and only about 30 minutes off the resort. When we first tried CTI we had never done Au Natural but a trip to the Island is a must, If you don't go, you don't know. We like it so much that we have already booked for next August. I will say though that you can't go wrong at either of your choices regardless of the cost, but we now prefer CTI over CSA although CSA is still an option for us.

We Went to CTI in Nov of 2013 for our honeymoon and we loved it! Very peaceful and relaxing but also plenty of stuff to do. The rooms were beautiful and the food was delicious! Try the island at least once! You will not be disappointed if you go to CTI!

Thank you for the reply! The other resort is in St. Lucia. We narrowed down to either one of the 4 Couples resorts in Jamaica or one of 3 (not sure if I should use the name of the chain) resorts in St. Lucia. We then narrowed it down to 1 resort at each location. For Couples it came down to a few very small things: Sans Souci doesn't offer the catamaran cruise or the private romantic cruise; Negril and Swept Away offer very little room service options, not that we plan on eating in the room all that much, but having the option to have any meal in the privacy of our room is nice. Funny, 3rd on our list was a resort in the Dominican Republic. Narrowing it down is so hard!

You should not let total strangers on the Internet decide which Couples resort is best for you.

On this forum it is common to find people who are extremely loyal to one Couples resort. They will tell you that their favorite Couples resort is the best. Even though many times they have not even been to the other Couples resorts. Answers to a question like this can be somewhat skewed.

Start by looking at all of the pages on the main Couples website. Then look at the Couples Facebook page. Then go to Youtube. On Youtube you will find lots of official and unofficial videos from all of the Couples resorts. Just search for Couples followed by the resort name. Watch some videos from all of the resorts.

After looking at what all of the Couples resorts has to offer, one of them may call to you more than the others. Choose that resort.

The great thing is that there is no wrong choice. Each resort is the same but different. Each resort will have the same quality facilities, staff, food, activities, entertainment, etc. But each Couples resort is also a little different. Not like some of the big resort chains that have the same cookie cutter sameness. Each Couples resort will have its own individual vibe that makes it different. Not better, just different.

My advice is to choose the Couples resort that you like best.

With that said. We have been to CTI twice and liked it both times.

Enjoy your stay in paradise
    Jack and Kathy
    CSA 2007, 2010, and 2016. CTI 2012, 2014. CN 2016 (Trading Places only), 2018, 2020. 2022?

Another thing, Negril and Swept Away don't offer the Dunn's River Falls trip. We'd both love that. Like I said, It comes down to the little things.

Having been to other resorts in Jamaica we have loved CTI since 1980 (honeymoon) and will be celebrating our 35th Honeymoon/Anniversary there on the 13th! Having been to all 4 of the Couples Resorts over the years our favorite is CTI! They are all unique and beautiful! The resorts in Negril (CN & CSA) have nicer public beaches but we love the private beach and island where you meet the most wonderful people.

Couples has always been about romance and relaxing with your loved one. The staff, food, atmosphere, entertainment, etc. are outstanding. We always feel like royalty and far from it. Everyone we meet wish to be repeaters and many return when we are there.

Good luck in your decision and choosing CTI will be well worth it.

Happy Anniversary and hopefully we will meet next September!

Paul & Debbie

I can't do that. In our opinion CTI is by far the worst of the couples resorts. We've stayed at all four. Couples Tower Isle is not even a Jamaican resort, just a big hotel on the beach. You might as well go to Florida. We love Negril and especially Couples Negril (trip #9 booked), however Couples Swept Away is very nice too. If you want to save a little money, Couples Sans Souci is very romantic and also in Ocho Rios like CTI. All four have the same excellent food, service and inclusions, but we like the outdoor atmosphere of the other three Coupes resorts much better. Of course everyone has their own opinions and many, many people like staying in a big hotel with a little crowded beach.
    <font size=2>
    CN 2006, CSS 2009, CN 2009, CN 2010, CTI 2010, CN 2011, CSS 2012, CN 2012, CN 2013, CSA 2014, CN 2014, CSA 2015, CN 2015, CN 2016, CN 2018, CN2019

We are CTI regulars but it would be wrong for me to tell you that is "THE" place for you to go. You narrowed it down to a couple so you've done some research thus far. Keep reading the message board and checking the resorts and what they have to offer at each. There will be one that return to a little more than the other. This will most likely be the one for you. More money does not mean a better resort. The food, staff and experience is top notch at each of the four Couples resorts.
    CTI won't disappoint you even though it is the cheapest.
    CTI - 07, 10, 13, 15, 16, 18, 21

Quote Originally Posted by slaitila View Post
    We are planning a trip for our 15th wedding anniversary in September of 2016. So far we have our list narrowed down to 2 resorts, one being Couples Tower Isle. Compared to the other resort on our list CTI is less expensive and has more inclusions (catamaran, Dunn's River Falls etc.). CTI also offers a military discount, which I would have to look into more (my husband is in the army reserves). The other resort seems to have more little intimate areas like fire pits, hammocks and cabanas. It also looks much prettier and seems to have a more romantic atmosphere. Please convince us that cost should not be the only reason we should choose CTI over the other resort.
    Thank you!

If you really want Dunn's River Falls, yet you also want private spaces, go to Couples Sans Souci! You may not get the catamaran, but they do offer a private sunset cruise ($). CSS is a very large property (30+ acres) with only 150 rooms equaling max 300 guests. Lots of hammocks and private spaces spread across CSS, and with fewer guests, you're sure to find one for you. Plus they're finishing up a lot of remodeling this year, so the main restaurant and the beachfront suites will be practically new. I think if you take a second look at CSS you will be impressed. I think it would be a great compromise for all the little things you're looking for.

I think you'll have a great time wherever you decide to go - it's your 15th anniversary. When we booked Couples Swept Away we fell in love with a photo of the dark wood shutters with a crisp white bed. No matter what our travel agent was pushing, we came back to that same photo and decided to book it because we kept saying, but look at this! Silly? Yes, because a room category doesn't make a vacation, but it was our deciding factor. When we booked our honeymoon in the DR, we fell in love with a photo of their pool, lit up at sunset with big lounger beds and we kept going back to that photo. (PS - it's a good thing that the pool was awesome because the beach where we were in DR {Cap Cana, a private area in punta cana} was not so great.

Whatever speaks to you, even if it's one silly photo, go with it. We stumbled across CSA because of a photo we couldn't get out of our heads, and we're so glad we did. If you chose another resort, you'll just need to make time to get to a couples so you can experience it at least once.

I'm not sure if you've previously traveled the islands, but Jamaica is by far our favorite. In my opinion, the staff can enhance your vacation significantly, or hurt it. We've done lots of travel, and came home saying, we miss vacation, we miss x resort, etc. When we leave Jamaica, we feel that we miss Jamaica. Couples is awesome, but it's their staff, their attitudes, their stress free demeanor and bright smiles that keep it a world class experience each time. I'm wound somewhat tight, and I relax faster in Jamaica than anywhere else in the world, I think that says something.

Good luck with your choice, you'll have a great trip either way.

Thanks for all the replies! This is great help! I'm pretty sure we are going to go with a Couple's resort now. But after reading so much on the message boards, we might go with CSS instead of CTI. It just seems to have a more romantic atmosphere with prettier grounds and we wouldn't be bothered by all the walking and steps people talk about. My only hesitation is that it shows it doesn't include the catamaran cruise or sunset cruise. But the trip will be what we make of it and I'm sure it will be every bit as romantic as we want no matter which we choose.

My husband finds the idea of AN intriguing, I could be talked into checking it out I suppose. Would be outside my comfort zone though!

We've been to all 4 couples resorts and CTI is one of our favorites with Swept Away being our least favorite. I think it all depends on your individual experience at the resort. No one can tell you if one is better than another. If CTI is the one that "speaks" to you go for it! It is true that the Negril beaches are nicer but there is so much more to consider. If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Wow, so much great info here! The fact that most are repeat visitors to Couples really speaks a lot! What can you all say about the general vibe of each resort? We'd prefer somoething a little more laid back and less of a "party" vibe. We definitly want to check out the night life wherever it is we end up going, but we're not really into roudy drunkedness. However, we do plan on drinking our fair share! CSS is looking more and more appealing.

If AN is a part of your decision then put some more though on where you will be most comfortable. If you do venture to the island at CTI or Sunset Beach at CSS, and like it, you may be spending quite a bit of your time there.

Just about everybody is "out of their comfort zone" the first time. Lots and lots of info about first time jitters on the AU NATRUAL link above.

One of the most repeated statements on the MB is "you can't go wrong whichever resort you choose". 100% true!!! Once you make your choice, don't second guess yourself. You will have a great romantic time wherever you end up. Next time you can check out the out the other Couples resort on your list.... You'll be back.
    CTI - 07, 10, 13, 15, 16, 18, 21

By now most of you realize that we are CTI fans.(77 to CTI) plus another 4 at other times. All Couples Resorts ar fabulous but each repeater has there favorite. On a personal note CSS is our least favorite. What ever tou choose will be a right decision. Good luck.

Went to CTI in 2013 for our 25th wedding anniversary and LOVED it. The food was fabulous, the restaurants were romantic. There was plenty to do, very pretty resort. The view from the ocean rooms was out of this world and perfect for celebrating a special anniversary. All of the entertainment was great. We had the trip of a lifetime. I would totally recommend it. I'm sure there will be some who prefer other resorts...to each their own. We went to Couples Negril this year, and though there were some nice things about Negril, and things that were "better" than Tower Isle, there were some things that couldn't hold a candle to CTI. In the end though, Couples is a great brand.

Nancy
    CTI - 2013
    CN - 2015

I'm really loving this message board! I might be addicted! We've pretty much decided on CTI. You all have been so helpful! One question I do have, and I'm sure I'll have more, but I've read a lot about "duty free" stores. What does "duty free" mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    I can't do that. In our opinion CTI is by far the worst of the couples resorts. We've stayed at all four. Couples Tower Isle is not even a Jamaican resort, just a big hotel on the beach. You might as well go to Florida. We love Negril and especially Couples Negril (trip #9 booked), however Couples Swept Away is very nice too. If you want to save a little money, Couples Sans Souci is very romantic and also in Ocho Rios like CTI. All four have the same excellent food, service and inclusions, but we like the outdoor atmosphere of the other three Coupes resorts much better. Of course everyone has their own opinions and many, many people like staying in a big hotel with a little crowded beach.
    Wally,
    "just a big hotel" ? I beg to differ. Both Negril properties have more rooms 234- CN, and 312-Swept away then CTI-218. "Not even a Jamaican resort, you might as well go to florida" come on now, aren't you being a bit unfair? "big hotel with a little crowded beach" I have not seen that in my 5 trips to CTI. I would rather be on the quiet beach at CTI then to be bothered by beach vendors trying to hawk their wares. Yes everyone is entitled to their opinion but yours seems to be a little unfair.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodbridgeata View Post
    Wally,
    "just a big hotel" ? I beg to differ. Both Negril properties have more rooms 234- CN, and 312-Swept away then CTI-218. "Not even a Jamaican resort, you might as well go to florida" come on now, aren't you being a bit unfair? "big hotel with a little crowded beach" I have not seen that in my 5 trips to CTI. I would rather be on the quiet beach at CTI then to be bothered by beach vendors trying to hawk their wares. Yes everyone is entitled to their opinion but yours seems to be a little unfair.
    I agree "A big Hotel"?, if that is the description then it should be a "Really nice big hotel". We have been to all (4) and we really like CTI. CSS was our least favorite because of all of the steps.

The food, rooms and service at CTI was wonderful. In September the "little crowded beach" is not going to be crowded at all.

The buildings at CN, CTI and CSS are all 2 or 3 story buildings with staircases in the rear or sides to service the buildings, so then all are "hotel" like. If you want to take long walks on the beach then you should select Negril but the vendors at CSA DID bug us.

Again, just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodbridgeata View Post
    Wally,
    Gotta agree with Wally. I'd rather be in Florida or maybe Gulf Shores, Alabama. The hotels are about like CTI, some a little better, some a little worse; but the beaches are far superior.

All depends on what a person wants to do while on vacation. For us, CTI is fantastic. The rooms are not super luxurious, but they're plenty good. We don't spend any time in the room anyway. If plush accommodations were what we wanted, we might go somewhere else (and probably would end up spending substantially more money for it). We live at the gulf coast and, in my opinion, have the prettiest beaches in the world....and we spend basically every weekend at the beach. So if the beach at CTI is "small", it's no big deal to us. We rarely even set foot on the beach at CTI. But others who don't see the beach everyday may want a vacation spot with a long beach and white sand, which is understandable. All depends on what you're after.

What I'm seeing the most on all of these threads regarding newcomer questions is that it doesn't matter which resort we choose because we "will love it and will be back"! Although we live in Wisconsin and don't get to see the beach much, I think even a small ocean beach would be nice for us especially one that isn't full of vendors. It looks like CTI will give us the most bang for our buck. We will be able to go on all of the offered excursions and see a lot of Jamaica, participate in the land and water sports that are available, enjoy the nightlife activities and splurge on some spa treatments. We like the idea of a smaller resort and we don't plan on being in the room much. If the beach is to small or the accomodations are too hotel-like, we can always try another resort on our next trip - since we all know we will be back!

Quote Originally Posted by slaitila View Post
    What I'm seeing the most on all of these threads regarding newcomer questions is that it doesn't matter which resort we choose because we "will love it and will be back"! Although we live in Wisconsin and don't get to see the beach much, I think even a small ocean beach would be nice for us especially one that isn't full of vendors. It looks like CTI will give us the most bang for our buck. We will be able to go on all of the offered excursions and see a lot of Jamaica, participate in the land and water sports that are available, enjoy the nightlife activities and splurge on some spa treatments. We like the idea of a smaller resort and we don't plan on being in the room much. If the beach is to small or the accomodations are too hotel-like, we can always try another resort on our next trip - since we all know we will be back!
    You will be plenty happy with CTI.

We have been to the resorts with the Cabanas. We never were able to use them because we did not get up at 4 a.m to "reserve" one of them. CTI really does give you a great "bang" for the buck, nice Hotel, nice small beach, GREAT restaurants, free excursions, I believe the best service of the 4 couples resorts, if you want to try a/n a great place to try it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast