Default Passport Question

I have read in the past that our passports have to be valid for six months after we leave Jamaica. My husband's passport expires July 10, 2016 and we leave Jamaica December 17, 2015. I know that it remains valid for almost seven months after our return, but I just want to make sure we will be ok and not cutting it too close. I would tell him to go ahead and renew it, but he is in the middle of purchasing a new business and will be busy until we leave. Has anyone had any experiences with this and could give me some guidance?

The paperwork is available on line, or you can get it at any AAA location. You will have to have another passport picture taken.

Duane & Mary

Hi, suggest you go to the following website which should give you all the information you need.

http://www.embassyofjamaica.org/VISn...anvisitors.htm

If you are traveling from the US, the following link may be helpful. This is addressed in the FAQ section.
    http://travel.state.gov/content/pass...orts/FAQs.html

Personally, I would take the time and renew the passport. Why risk having a problem during your vacation to paradise over something that can be prevented? You can't tell me that he is going to be too busy for the next 15 months with his business that he can't take the time to renew his passport. Sorry but this sounds like an excuse to me.

If you live in the US you can renew your passport at most post offices. It should take no more than 30 minutes, maybe less of the lines aren't too long. If you live in the US look on the "Your U.S. Passport" tab from the link above and you will find a link that will tell you where you can go to renew your passport in your area.

Enjoy your stay in paradise
    Jack and Kathy
    CSA 2007, 2010, and 2016. CTI 2012, 2014. CN 2016 (Trading Places only), 2018, 2020. 2023?

The requirement is for your passport to be valid for 6 months after the end of your trip. You will be fine.

I would just renew it. It takes 10 minutes to go to Walgreens to have new pics taken and 10 to fill out the form. Then you can forget it for 10 years. I renewed mine and it was $110 I think.

Message deleted.
    Last edited by Pamela; September 10th, 2015 at 02:30 PM. Reason: Contained inaccurate information, and I don't want to confuse or mislead anyone.

We have the renewal process going right now. I read that Jamaica requires the six months must be good after your travel date. We are not taking any chances. Renew.

Life is good

Thank you all for the suggestions and information. Sorry if I misled anyone, but we are going to Jamaica this year so our time to renew is limited. I also did not let you know that my husband is busy purchasing a business while running his own practice at the same time so he is very busy. I will see if I can get the forms to renew for him and see if he can make time. I will be ok either way as it looks like Jamaica only requires the passport to be valid at the time of entry. Thanks again!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pamela View Post
    The Six Months Validity Rule is imposed by some foreign countries, but Jamaica isn't one of them. http://www.uspassporthelpguide.com/s...validity-rule/
    Pamela:

Look at the list again. Jamaica DOES now impose the "Six Month Rule". They recently implemented this policy change and they are included on the list of countries your link pulls up. I just renewed my passport for this reason. My old passport would have expired just three months after our next trip.

Should your signature line now say "I know MOST everything, and I'm ALMOST always right"? (That's a joke. You give great information and advice.)
    Happy & Safe Travels!

=

The Six Months Validity Rule is imposed by some foreign countries, but Jamaica isn't one of them. http://www.uspassporthelpguide.com/s...validity-rule/
    Check your link again, Jamaica is on the list.

Jamaica IS on the list
    Captain Jim
    "I will grow old....
    But I won't grow up"

We just got back from Jamaica this week (September 5) and our passports expire at the end of February. No questions or delays coming or going. I would not worry.

Jim

I just rechecked the US passport site and I do see Jamaica listed as using the Six Month Validity Rule. Thank you rim1one for your post!! I am feeling much better knowing about your experience.

Quote Originally Posted by NeedBlueWater View Post
    Pamela:

Look at the list again. Jamaica DOES now impose the "Six Month Rule". They recently implemented this policy change and they are included on the list of countries your link pulls up . . . .

You're right! I looked at the list but read down (rather than reading left to right), so I missed it! Deleting the text from my message above so that I don't confuse/mislead anyone.

Just received our renewed passports this week. Took about 8 days using the express service. Now we have our license to run off to Jamaica any time we want.

Life is good