Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Personal music

I'm glad to hear the bar plays music at CSA. What I was referring to was people bringing their own speakers to the bar. We stayed in Nuevo Vallarta at an all inclusive resort. There were three different groups at the bar playing their speakers; In addition to the bar playing music in the background. Imagine sitting at the bar listening to classic rock, Pit Bull , Jimmy Buffet and Mariachi bands all at the same time. It was much too much. IMO the resort should control the music at the bar and leave it at that.

On my first couple trips to CSA the bars just had a clock radio tuned to a local station. I loved it because it played a variety of music from soft classic reggae to the harder rap style. Little bit of dis, little bit of dat. Not sure what they play now.

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Beach View Post
    I've said it many times before (and I'm sure others have, too)...but it would be really nice if they'd install some type of music system on the island at CTI. Ya GOT to have some fun music out there, particularly in the afternoon when things get rolling. We usually bring a speaker and some tunes out there, and sit it on the bar for public use. We'll play our music on it, or others can play theirs...whatever. But any party must have some music, to help kick things up a notch.
    Some of us "old farts" like relax in a peaceful atmosphere on the beach. No need to kick things up a notch for us. I vote for just the sounds of the waves and winds blowing through the palms.

Life is good on the beach

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Beach View Post
    I've said it many times before (and I'm sure others have, too)...but it would be really nice if they'd install some type of music system on the island at CTI. Ya GOT to have some fun music out there, particularly in the afternoon when things get rolling. We usually bring a speaker and some tunes out there, and sit it on the bar for public use. We'll play our music on it, or others can play theirs...whatever. But any party must have some music, to help kick things up a notch.
    When will you be there next? I want to make sure I am NOT there the same time you are. I really don't need YOU or anybody else to kick my vacation up a notch.
    Last edited by Gin Mon; July 27th, 2015 at 07:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beach-bum View Post
    Some of us "old farts" like relax in a peaceful atmosphere on the beach. No need to kick things up a notch for us. I vote for just the sounds of the waves and winds blowing through the palms.

Life is good on the beach
    Add us to that list... no one needs to kick things up a notch for us... ever ~ thank you very much.

Someone else mentioned they'd be okay with music playing on another balcony/patio... well not for me "please and thank you"... I'm usually reading and/or napping and would much rather hear the sounds of the tropical breeze through the palms, the magical sound of the treefrogs singing in the distance, the waves crashing down below, and the travelling Jazz Sax Player strolling by ~ would you believe we actually had neighbouring guests who did this during a serenade at CSS?

Romantic Vibe totally ruined.

Oh how I wish Bluetooth speakers were never invented. I hear so many people say that they bring theirs for the beach but keep it at low enough volume for just the two of them or check with their neighbors to make sure they don't mind. Sound travels! You may think it isn't bothering others, but it surely is. Last trip we had a foursome of drunken country music lovers near us blaring music one day. We loved the spot we had set up for ourselves on the beach that morning at CSA but ended up moving. Another we had neighbors "quietly" listening to Sheryl Crow. Help! We just tolerated it because we didn't want to move again. We all have different tastes. Earbuds, please! And resort Security or beach staff should routinely ask the ones playing music loudly to turn it down or off.

In my opinion, when someone asks if it is ok to play their music people say they do not mind because no one wants to be a "kill joy." I am guilty of saying I don't mind when in fact, I did

Last time I was at CSA, a man brought his boombox to the beach! Thankfully, security quickly asked him to turn it off. We are all on this vacation together, I wish others would think about how they would feel. Imagine your LEAST favorite type of music - would you want that playing next to you all day? Earbuds, PLEASE!

I always ask myself - are my actions invading anyone's senses? (Noise and smells especially). I agree with the person who said everyone is different - we need to be kind to each other, we are all on this vacation together

Well said, Dee. I don't want to hear anyone else's loud music on the beach OR on my balcony. We play our music in our room only, and at a reasonable volume. On the beach....headphones! RESPECT...it's for everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Deee View Post
    Last time I was at CSA, a man brought his boombox to the beach! Thankfully, security quickly asked him to turn it off. We are all on this vacation together, I wish others would think about how they would feel. Imagine your LEAST favorite type of music - would you want that playing next to you all day? Earbuds, PLEASE!

I always ask myself - are my actions invading anyone's senses? (Noise and smells especially). I agree with the person who said everyone is different - we need to be kind to each other, we are all on this vacation together
    I got to agree, if someone close to me was playing Toby Keith, AC/DC or Hip Hop Rap I'd have to go drown myself in the ocean.

As a sufferer of migraine headaches at the least amount of noise, I dislike people who read on the beach and their balconies. Listening to the rustling and turning of pages drives me absolutely nuts! Especially when people are real fast readers. People should be required to use some sort of E-reader if they want to read. Maybe Couples / security can address this too while they are addressing the music issue.

Does this stuff ever end?
    Last edited by cpanddp; July 31st, 2015 at 12:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ORV View Post
    I got to agree, if someone close to me was playing Toby Keith, AC/DC or Hip Hop Rap I'd have to go drown myself in the ocean.
    Finally, a palapa!

KrisJamie.. hilarious.

cpanddp.. I'm glad I don't like to read because I don't want to bother to anyone... but I sensed some sarcasm there too.

Personally, I don't like ear buds, as they interfere with conversation with my sweetie. We listen to our Bluetooth speaker at a very low level and always ask those around us if it bothers them, and if it did (which it never has) we would turn it off. When in Jamaica, we do as the Jamaicans do, and listen to reggae. I don't see the problem with a little background music to go with the swaying of the palms, or the crashing of waves on the beach. If you don't want to hear my music, why don't you try ear plugs?! Don't people realize respect goes both ways?

benandmiranda - Of course respect goes both ways but your point is lost when you tell people that they should put in ear plugs on one of the most beautiful beaches in the world... Because you want to listen to music they have to listen to nothing??? Everyone comes for the beach and ambiance, you are the one introducing a foreign sound and therefore should act accordingly...

I have to agree with Surfhary. Respect would be not disturbing others - it isn't expecting someone else to put up with your disturbance.

I was at Patois one morning, it was a bit busy, and we were seated so close next to another couple that we may as well have been at the same table. (you know, the couch/table combo?) As soon as they sat down, they got on Facetime, and proceeded to YELL with their family members at home. After about 10 minutes, we asked them if they would mind keeping it down - well, this did NOT go over well, they felt they were in a public place and had every right to do what they wanted.

I agree that everyone should be able to enjoy their vacation their way, but not at the expense of others' peaceful enjoyment either.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfhary20 View Post
    benandmiranda - Of course respect goes both ways but your point is lost when you tell people that they should put in ear plugs on one of the most beautiful beaches in the world... Because you want to listen to music they have to listen to nothing??? Everyone comes for the beach and ambiance, you are the one introducing a foreign sound and therefore should act accordingly...

We speak louder than our volume is set on our music. Should I not talk too? That makes no sense, neither does having to wear ear buds, or ear plugs all the time. Which is my point exactly. Why can't we all express some tolerance of others while on vacation?
    Last edited by CouplesRocks; August 3rd, 2015 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Further clarification

If you're looking for total peace and quiet, there are some other beaches near by such as Half Moon Beach (10 min) you could take a day trip to. Expecting total peace and quiet on a public beach is expecting too much, in my opinion. While I can also do without the boom boxes and extremely loud music, I don't see anything wrong with a small blue tooth speaker playing on low volume so the sound doesn't travel further than a 10-15 food radius. It's all about common sense and respect.

Different frequencies come across at different volumes. I could hear a radio in the park this weekend hundreds of feet away, but could not hear anyone in the group talking. Music travels a lot louder and further than you think, this discussion wouldn't be happening otherwise. No one is making you wear earbuds all the time. Wear them when you want to use music. That gives YOU the choice. it is not fair to expect others to tolerate you.

Apples and oranges here guys... Verbal communication is a little different than music and some would consider a necessity in their daily lives... SMH...

Quote Originally Posted by benandmiranda View Post
    We speak louder than our volume is set on our music. Should I not talk too? That makes no sense, neither does having to wear ear buds, or ear plugs all the time. Which is my point exactly. Why can't we all express some tolerance of others while on vacation?
    When some jackhole pulls up next to you at a red light with hip hop music blasting so loud it shakes buildings within a two block radius, he is playing it at a volume that is comfortable to himself, without regard to others. Reading your posts, you probably do that too.

I get what you are saying benandmiranda.

Something I observed is people's personal opinion of what you should or should not be doing affects what they will tolerate. For example, I can sit next to someone and talk to my husband. The person has no problem. However, if I sit next to them and talk on my phone, at the same voice level, they have a problem. It has nothing to do with the level of the conversation, they simply believe I should not talk on my cell phone within close proximity.

My situation was not music played at a reasonable volume. These people had the volume cranked up. I had to yell just for my husband to hear me. This is what I'm trying to avoid.

I guess my point is its unrealistic to believe the beach is a quiet zone. There will always be noise. It does not matter if it is conversation, music or a snorer on a lounger(had this happen in Mexico), just be respectful with the amount of noise you create.
    Last edited by Renee79; August 4th, 2015 at 11:41 AM.

Thank you Renee79! At least one person gets what I am saying.

Gin Mon, it's not nice to assume.

I just feel like some of the posters on this thread have really high expectations of others to conform to their "rules" (for lack of a better word). I am simply saying that respect and tolerance for another's music would make everyone's vacation more enjoyable, especially your own.

I get it and I fully support tolerance! I just feel that when I spend a large sum of money on a beach vacation to be in that atmosphere I shouldn't have to ask someone to turn their music down or move to avoid it... I love to listen to music on the beach at times also, but I would never think of a Bluetooth speaker as appropriate on a beach resort in Jamaica... Someone said earlier that it effects their ability to talk to their partner, well to me that means you are listening to the music too loud and would be impacting someone else if you didn't have the ear buds in... If I pull up to a tailgating party I expect to hear 7 different music systems playing 7 different types of music, when I sit down on the beach at CSA I expect to hear the ocean, the breeze, maybe a faint hint of reggae from the bar and the local vendors occasionally passing by (HOT HOT HOT, ciiiiiiigarettes, ciiiiiiiigarettes, cigars cigars cigars)...

Quote Originally Posted by Surfhary20 View Post
    I get it and I fully support tolerance! I just feel that when I spend a large sum of money on a beach vacation to be in that atmosphere I shouldn't have to ask someone to turn their music down or move to avoid it... I love to listen to music on the beach at times also, but I would never think of a Bluetooth speaker as appropriate on a beach resort in Jamaica... Someone said earlier that it effects their ability to talk to their partner, well to me that means you are listening to the music too loud and would be impacting someone else if you didn't have the ear buds in... If I pull up to a tailgating party I expect to hear 7 different music systems playing 7 different types of music, when I sit down on the beach at CSA I expect to hear the ocean, the breeze, maybe a faint hint of reggae from the bar and the local vendors occasionally passing by (HOT HOT HOT, ciiiiiiigarettes, ciiiiiiiigarettes, cigars cigars cigars)...
    For issues like this, everyone is different. For example, you are okay with "a faint hint of reggae from the bar and local vendors occasionally passing by", but maybe others are bothered by that. Maybe others don't think that is "appropriate". Appropriate for whom? The key to all this is opinions vs. Couples rules. If Couples has rules against bringing speakers to the beach and playing music, then they will enforce it. If someone is doing something within the rules and also showing respect by inquiring others around them if it is okay to play music softly, then cut them some slack. If you say it would bother you, then they will probably move elsewhere if they really want to play their music. The beach is big enough where everyone can find a spot that will embody their euphoria. People on this message board can sometimes turn molehills into mountains.

Jamaican Junkie - I agree mostly, I guess my point is that my examples of music from the bar and the passing vendors are uncontrollable factors. A speaker on the beach obviously is...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast