Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Personal music

Default Personal music

Can someone give me a good reason why people think it's okay to play their music loud enough for everyone hear on the beach? I come to Couples to get away from the daily noise and I don't want to hear blaring music; I don't care what flavor it is. Of course this is not a Couples issue, inconsiderate people are everywhere. So bring your headphones, crank it up as loud as you want, and we will get along just fine.

Yes please!!!!

ddaugherty - we all have "blind spots" when we don't realize that our actions could be perceived by others as being annoying or, worse yet, offensive. I was recently telling a woman at work that I really do try to avoid being a jerk (and hopefully I succeed most of the time ). And I told her to please let me know if I have any blind spots that might lead me to unintentionally be a jerk (or offensive).

Occasionally there are threads on this board that annoy people and they ask the moderator to close them or take them down. I look at those threads as not only a great opportunity for us all to interact and share thoughts, but also a way to let some people know that some behaviors they might consider to be acceptable can be viewed by others as unacceptable, jerky or even offensive.

I agree that the personal music is out of place...but I try to not let it hijack my day.

Just got back from CTI, a couple came to the main pool with a bluetooth speaker cranked up, my wife and I looked at each other and just shook our heads. It was loud enough to hear all the way in the restaurant area. Either drunks at the swim up bar or inconsiderate people at the main pool......

There are other resorts that blare loud music at their pools. To us one of the benefits of couples is that it really seems designed towards relaxation. Yes there are aerobics classes etc. but they don't seem to take over like at some other resorts.

Now with that being said, we are ones who bring a bluetooth speaker with us. We use it sparingly and try to just have it loud enough for us to hear. We mainly use it by the hottubs at night and if others are there, we ask if it is ok to play some music. (and some have said they didn't want it, so it stayed off)

So after all my ramblings - my comment would be to go back to a basic rule - Respect for Others. Just because I want to listen to something doesn't mean you want to listen to the same thing. Keep the volume appropriate.

Kurt and Angela
    CN 2011, 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017
    CSS 2014, 2016, 2017

I would like CN staff to politely remind people who do that to please NOT do that. Bring some ear buds and enjoy but please don't share your music! We all have different tastes, and even if you and I love the same music someone else on their hard-earned, long awaited vacation might prefer to hear the ocean.
    It's easy to be considerate of others. You just have to use your head.

It's not about a blind spot, it is about people thinking its all about them. 90 percent of the people that do that sort of thing are confrontational if you say something about it.

Quote Originally Posted by ddaugherty View Post
    Can someone give me a good reason why people think it's okay to play their music loud enough for everyone hear on the beach?
    I've thought about it, and no. I can't. Sorry. Wish I could be of more help.
    Happy & Safe Travels!

=

Some people can't take quiet, or ambient noise. If you've visited SOME of the beaches in NJ you'd get the opportunity to listen to multiple radio stations and different music at once. Even at the tip of Cape Cod, music blasts out of the trucks. While my family prefers peaceful areas at the shore, my friends actually prefer being on top of one another, screaming and yelling of kids and blaring of music. So when people who are used to that travel, they take that culture with them. The quiet drives them nuts just as much as the music drives you nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by atcdanner View Post
    Just got back from CTI, a couple came to the main pool with a bluetooth speaker cranked up, my wife and I looked at each other and just shook our heads. It was loud enough to hear all the way in the restaurant area. Either drunks at the swim up bar or inconsiderate people at the main pool......
    Geez, what's wrong with people

Had this issue at CN once. Just moved down the beach. One more reason to go to CSA. Larger beach. Just be happy their room isn't next to yours.

Life is good

During our last stay, in May, we were at the Sunset Bar at CSA when a couple came up to the bar with their bluetooth speaker, and insisted on playing "Hotel California" over and over. The staff tried to joke about it and get him to turn it off, but he was obviously well beyond caring.

On that same trip, a fellow and his wife would sit on their beachfront terrace. He played an acoustic guitar, and she sang. Might have been cute if it wasn't 7:30 in the morning.

I believe many of these people are not trying to be annoying but want or need to have attention focused on them. They may believe they are doing you a favor and in return you will like them or talk to them. Kind of an ice breaker of sort. I can only hope they eventually get the idea from this message board or other guests' stares the ear buds are the way to go. Beach lounger, eyes shut, sound of waves lapping on the beach....zzz...

Damn, I was going to bring my bagpipes in October! ( please note, this is a joke, so go easy on me!)

There's no good reason for subjecting people to this sort of intrusion. It's an invasion of your personal space...PLEASE just use your damn earbuds!

I love music and when we visit CSA I bring my music for the beach. I listen to my IPod with the earphones and never bother anyone.
    I have to say from all the times we have been there late Feb to early Mar this has never been a problem.

In all the years that we have been going to CTI, whenever an issue such as this came up, we would let management know. Rather than confront another guest, you really never know what may happen, find someone in managment. That's their job. We should all be tolerant of others around us, but sometimes, some people lose sight of that fact. The public beaches on the east coast, are imbearab;e sometimes. Every blanket has a party going on and the radio blaring. Their attitude is, this ia a public beach and there are rules, not even common sence. In Jamaica, everyone pays for their place in the sun. I'm not going to let some other guests ruin my time simply because they are rude and thoughtless.

And whilst we're on the subject I would make a little suggestion to CSS management; perhaps, just once in a while, over a two week period, the music at the various pools and bars (particularly SSB) could have something other than reggae playing. Perhaps some soul, funk or even some modern stuff that veers away from the repeated songs day after day? Hotel California over and over? How about the classic reggae songs over and over? It is clear that we all love Jamaica and to a greater or lesser degree we love Bob Marley too but reggae is not to everyone's taste when it isn't just, well, a taste, but a full blown 24hr banquet. The evening entertainment isn't just reggae. I love to listen to reggae but it is all invasive and not necessarily to everyone's taste. I realise that many will come back with surprise and note that 'only last week we heard many alternative types of popular song' but this is not my own experience in five visits to CSS and SSB. As you were ladies and gents.

We too bring a blue tooth speaker. However it is relegated to our balcony, and it is always turned down low.

Piper, saw that at Swept Away 2 or 3 years ago at Sunset. Just at the time of a good cold Red Stripe and a hand hold with the Wife. Let's just say... the pipes should stay in Ireland! And too, Murtle..... There is Playa Del Carmen you know.

A couple of different guests brought bluetooth speakers to the beach at CSA last February. Two young ladies, in particular, had theirs on at a high enough volume that it was clearly audible several yards away. They even went into the water a few times and left it on! I think it shows a complete lack of consideration for other guests. If you see yourself in these posts, please, knock it off.
    Another couple we encountered as we moved to escape the first one, had their Bluetooth on low enough volume that we didn't hate being around them. They even asked if it bothered us. Imagine that.

Quote Originally Posted by BarDar View Post
    Piper, saw that at Swept Away 2 or 3 years ago at Sunset. Just at the time of a good cold Red Stripe and a hand hold with the Wife. Let's just say... the pipes should stay in Ireland! And too, Murtle..... There is Playa Del Carmen you know.
    Sorry but the Playa Del Carmen comment is lost on me. It may make sense to other, American, people. Blame it on me being a Brit! We tried Puerto Aventuras in 2007 and found the hotel to be just fine but the occupants a bit, how do I say this nicely?, spring break'y? Which is why we love CSS so much! However, my comment about constant reggae music still stands but it is very much a personal opinion so don't feel offended. You are right in one way though, the world is a big place and there is much to see and hear. Enjoy your day.
    Last edited by Murtle; July 22nd, 2015 at 03:27 AM.

Are personal music speakers allowed on the beach and at the bars at Couples Swept Away? I'm an easy going person. Music on the balcony or patio at a reasonable volume is fine with me. Maybe even on the beach if it's really low. I have to draw the line when it comes to the bar. People are too close together at the bar to avoid listening to music no matter how low it is played.

The beach bar we frequent at CSA plays reasonably contemporary reggae music. We enjoy freaking out the bartenders by knowing who the artists are. But, people who don't like it can easily locate away from the bar and use the flag service.

I've said it many times before (and I'm sure others have, too)...but it would be really nice if they'd install some type of music system on the island at CTI. Ya GOT to have some fun music out there, particularly in the afternoon when things get rolling. We usually bring a speaker and some tunes out there, and sit it on the bar for public use. We'll play our music on it, or others can play theirs...whatever. But any party must have some music, to help kick things up a notch.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast