Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Couples is slipping

Every year we go to CSA there are noticeably downwards trends. How many time can you eat snapper. The food choices have less expensive ingredients. the whole experience is not the same sorry to say. Too much emphasizes on wedding packages. Hope it gets better

Right on... How many times can you eat snapper??? How many times do you have to drink a Red Stripe???, Never mind.

I don't know how many times you have gone, but I've been going since 2005 and I have not seen any 'downward trends'. If anything it keeps getting better and better. We just love Couples and to us they don't skimp.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

Never been to CSA, so cannot offer a useful comment about CSA. FWIW, IMHO, CTI justs gets better and better with each trip. Maybe you would like a change of venue?
    Last edited by liquid; June 2nd, 2015 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Grammar

I disagree. Yes, snapper has become a bit of a joke as the "catch of the day", but there are many other selections to choose from for all meals. True, the menus have not changed a great deal over the years. But as a once a year vacation for us the options for the week have always been adequate to keep our meals interesting and enjoyable. Not sure what else you may perceive as "slipping", perhaps the fact that the resort is beginning to show some age in places. It seems to me that they are constantly maintaining things and the rooms seem to be in a constant, rotating cycle of being freshened and/or updated. Other than that we find the familiarity of CSA from year to year is one of the things that endears it to us. And of course the beach, how can the beach be seen as anything but delightful.
    Sorry to hear that CSA has become stale for you, perhaps you need a break away to some other destination. Good luck and safe travels.
    See you at the beach!
    dirtleg & sandyfoot

As others have said, maybe this resort is becoming stale to you. We will never go to a Couples Resort more than twice in a row. Our last two trips were to CTI. We have also been to CSA a couple of times. We intend to go back to CSA for our next trip, but we haven't actually booked yet. On our next trip to CSA, we intend to take a day pass to CN to see what it is like. Then maybe try CN on a future trip. By changing things up we don't get bored with one of the resorts.

BTW you may have noticed I didn't mention CSS. I am sure it is just as nice as any of the other Couples resorts. But my wife has problems going up steps or walking up hills. This is the only reason we have ruled out this resort.

So like the others have said, try one of the other Couples resorts next time.

I actually thought this year (Jan 2015) was better service and food than the prior two years before!!

We've been going to Couples since 2000 - multiple trips to 3 of the 4 resorts. I haven't seen any slippage. A little more crowded maybe, but that's because the secret got out, but food, and service has always been fantastic. Additional restaurants added, new excursions, new inclusions.....I have nothing to complain about.

Next trip is in 17 days - I doubt we'll be disappointed but will keep an open mind.

Quote Originally Posted by ron3637 View Post
    Every year we go to CSA there are noticeably downwards trends. How many time can you eat snapper. The food choices have less expensive ingredients. the whole experience is not the same sorry to say. Too much emphasizes on wedding packages. Hope it gets better
    I'm with you on this, I've been going every year and I can tell the difference each time I'm there.(For worse)
    Only real reason we are going, is the beautiful Negril beach and the people there. I've made lots of friends at CSA and I cant wait to visit them again.

Constant complainer (ron3637). Go someplace else, we love CSA and keep going back home.

We have been to CN for the last 6 years in a row and 2 times in 1 year once. This year we are going to Thailand for 15 days in November and to an all inclusive in the Dominican for a week in February instead. It's not because of anything that CN did wrong it's just simply time for an adventure instead of something that has become predictable. When your Couples experience has become predicable you should feel fortunate that you have the resources to have gone so many times that it HAS become predicable. Some people can only afford to take a vacation every few years so count your blessings. After a year off we will likely be eager for another trip to CN.

Each time we go, we see amazing upgrades in the menus. Chef Angelo is fabulous! This past time we went (April 2015), I don't think we saw 5 weddings in 9 days (usually more). Only once did a wedding party create any disruption in our stay, and that was 85 people from Iowa.

May I ask if your experience keeps getting worse, why you keep going? Maybe try changing the time of year you go? We do April and October and it is nothing less than awesome every single time! (Other than that little hurricane named Sandy...)

We first stumbled upon Swept Away in 2012 as we researched a place to spend our 25th Anniversary and finally a vacation without kids! By the end of our first day we were convinced that we would never vacation anywhere else. Fast forward two years later and we made our first repeaters visit. In our opinion the food at all restaurants had improved (except Sea Grapes, you can't improve on perfection) and the service was still great. The only negative we found between the years was the influx of larger groups that invade for weekend weddings.

We come home in 160 days and hope to have another relaxing, romantic week. Just crossing our fingers the groups are at a minimum.

Brad & Carla
    CSA 2012, 2014, 2015 (come soon)

Some people are never happy unless they have something to complain about. I can't imagine finding fault in snapper because there are many other types of fish that Couples serves. I ask in what five star restaurant you are used to dining in to determine that Couples ingredients are less expensive? During the past 40+ years that we have been going to Couples we have always met someone who wasn't hapyy with anything and thought that they were being shortchanged.

Things that make you go huuuummmmmm...... I am sure there are a lot of people that can plan/take a vacation several times a year, however, I do believe that there are also those that may not be in the same position and save to take a vacation once a year or every couple of years. Either way, where you choose to go is a personal choice. As we prepare for our third trip to Couples; going to a different resort each year, we are contemplating taking a trip back to Punta Cana next year as well as going to CTI. Our reason is my husband began diving four years ago at Montego Bay and we thought it would be good to experience diving somewhere else but we cannot give up trying yet another Couples Resort. I read the message boards all of the time and I always find that each of us goes around the circle and we all end up at the same place.....an opportunity to go away to relax with our significant other/reconnect. There isn't a right choice or a wrong choice; it is your choice. However, if you feel that the resort you visited didn't live up to your expectations, for whatever reason, simply spend your money elsewhere and do not return. To each his own but as long as I am working, we will always make our annual trip back to one of the four Couples Resorts.

We went to CSA 5 times and the first few were great and then the groups started to dominate the resort at the expense of couples like us. And running out of things constantly like beer at the beach bars, baileys tia maria etc. in ALL the bars. Trying to eat dinner at the Palms and waiting over an hour due to a group of 20, being literally shoved away from the bar by a group of people at the Patios Bar on one occassion. And too many buffet nights now at Palms as they are catering to the group dinners. So we are trying CTI as it is smaller, had better experience at CSS too. May try CN down the road when Grand Lido tear down is over. Just to bad about CSA being overun by groups. It is like being around a convention.

Read his past posts. Not much good to say but appears to have gone to CSA more than once. Why?

A good mix of views here and the OP's comments somewhat resonate with our own experience of CSS. We debated about it quite a lot when we were there last month and we came to the conclusion that there is an element of simply getting used to the excitement and therefore not feeling so impressed at the array of goodies provided in all the restaurants. We definitely feel that perhaps chef could reach out a little more and change the contents of the buffets, now that we have been five times to the same place, but when we remember our first trip we recall how amazed we were at the choices available! I think we all just get used to the food and I would agree that some changes could be made at CSS. Having said that, please don't change the array of puddings or cakes or my wife will cry. Also, keep offering tenderloin in Casanova's, for the same reason!

All in all we don't really go to CSS for the food but rather for SSB and the general good vibe about the place. No real hardcore spring breakers to spoil the atmos! The other bonus is that we don't have to think about shopping for, cooking or preparing food, clearing it away or doing the dishes. Frankly I could eat pretty basic stuff if it is cooked and served by someone else for a couple of weeks, no?

We shall probably now take a break from CSS and go back to Thailand for a visit. We may even do the south pacific islands! My daughter will be dancing on a Princess Cruise ship touring the Pacific West coast from Alaska to Bora Bora and if truth be told, Bora Bora seems like a good plan. We'll be back when the renovations have been done though! Oh yes!
    Last edited by Murtle; June 5th, 2015 at 04:18 AM. Reason: poor spelling on my part!

Quote Originally Posted by ron3637 View Post

It looks like Ron 3637 has had the same complaint since 2012, why in the world would you continue to return if it is that bad. We were just there in May for the 13th time, was just as good as ever. Seems a troll is in our midst.

Quote Originally Posted by beachsam View Post
    It looks like Ron 3637 has had the same complaint since 2012, why in the world would you continue to return if it is that bad. We were just there in May for the 13th time, was just as good as ever. Seems a troll is in our midst.
    No more calls please, we have a winner!
    Cigar Dude
    Smoke 'em if you got 'em!

My cigar blog: http://tinytimblog.blogspot.com/

I don't agree one bit

We've been visiting Couples resorts (all except Barbados) for 10 years now, and while there have been some changes, we are very pleased with the overall experience. We have out next 3 trips booked, so I guess that speaks for itself.

Quote Originally Posted by zaraforty View Post
    We went to CSA 5 times and the first few were great and then the groups started to dominate the resort at the expense of couples like us. And running out of things constantly like beer at the beach bars, baileys tia maria etc. in ALL the bars. Trying to eat dinner at the Palms and waiting over an hour due to a group of 20, being literally shoved away from the bar by a group of people at the Patios Bar on one occassion. And too many buffet nights now at Palms as they are catering to the group dinners. So we are trying CTI as it is smaller, had better experience at CSS too. May try CN down the road when Grand Lido tear down is over. Just to bad about CSA being overun by groups. It is like being around a convention.
    I could have typed the same post about CTI.
    ...minus the shoving...

Three reasons we will not be returning to CSS in 2016 for our what would have been our 8th stay at Couples;
    1) We are Canadian, and the US exchange rate adds another 24% currently to the price
    2) We also feel there was a noticalble difference in the quality of the food this past year
    3) While be it small, it makes me mad they dropped the early booking reosrt credit to $250.00, and did not offer the incentive for as long as possible. Petty, in my mind.
    Last edited by Artie; June 9th, 2015 at 07:15 AM.

im gonna have to echo those above... If it's so bad, why do you keep going? Sort of like the old joke .."it hurts when I do this!" So don't do it!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast