Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27
  1. #1

    Default Why can't some people accept the policy?

    So Couples has a policy and they've stated it many times. No tipping because it's fair to all employees that THEY include the tip in the price and distribute it to ALL.

    How many times am I going to read about people trying to find the right "Gift" for the maids, etc? Isn't your giving them a gift the same thing? Do you give a gift to the guy dressed in coveralls sweeping the walk or the person in the cash office that you never see?

    I think people insist on their "little gifts" to bolster their egos so people on the message boards will know how exceptionally wonderful they are.

    If you are really so wonderful don't post about it and don't pretend you don't post about it by asking what would be a nice or useful "little gift." Or if you really feel the need find out the total number off cooks, gardeners, maids and office staff and provide one gift the same for each.

    Stop it.

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Questor View Post
    So Couples has a policy and they've stated it many times. No tipping because it's fair to all employees that THEY include the tip in the price and distribute it to ALL.

    How many times am I going to read about people trying to find the right "Gift" for the maids, etc? Isn't your giving them a gift the same thing? Do you give a gift to the guy dressed in coveralls sweeping the walk or the person in the cash office that you never see?

    I think people insist on their "little gifts" to bolster their egos so people on the message boards will know how exceptionally wonderful they are.

    If you are really so wonderful don't post about it and don't pretend you don't post about it by asking what would be a nice or useful "little gift." Or if you really feel the need find out the total number off cooks, gardeners, maids and office staff and provide one gift the same for each.

    Stop it.
    Here we go again! Mr. negativity with more his rules for us to follow.
    <font size=2>
    CN 2006, CSS 2009, CN 2009, CN 2010, CTI 2010, CN 2011, CSS 2012, CN 2012, CN 2013, CSA 2014, CN 2014, CSA 2015, CN 2015, CN 2016, CN 2018, CN2019

  3. #3

    Default

    Actually I just recently became aware of how the money is distributed to all the employees so this August we will adhere to the no tipping policy. However we became friends with one of the staff over the years who happens to be a single dad and we plan to bring small "gifts" to his daughter such as arts& crafts and some clothes. I don't see any problem with that.

  4. #4

    Default

    While I agree, I believe there have been posts here from Couples employees that non-monetary gifts are allowed.

  5. #5

    Default

    I still think these "gifts" are a form of tipping.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Woodbridgeata View Post
    Actually I just recently became aware of how the money is distributed to all the employees so this August we will adhere to the no tipping policy.
    C'mon, now. This has been posted about for years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Questor View Post
    <snip>
    Oh goody; absolutes. Did you ever stop to consider that people work within the rule structure to provide help for people that may need it?

    Some of these staff are more than wonderful hosts, and have moved to a role of "friend". If a friend needs something, you help them. The tip sharing program is wonderful, and we've yet to go handing out money like some of the guests insist on doing, nor do we flaunt any gifts in front of other staff we may not have developed a relationship with (yet?)

    I think you posted that just to bolster your ego, personally.

  7. #7

    Default

    Questor, why do you care so much about what other people are doing? If you don't want to give gifts, don't.

  8. #8

    Default

    [QUOTE=softail19;267783]I still think these "gifts" are a form of tipping.[/QUO

    we plan to meet off property for lunch to see his daughter and give her the gifts.

  9. #9

    Default

    I was going to keep my mouth shut on this one but changed my mind. We have become friends with a few of the employees here, and while they are appreciative of even having a job, they keep it real with us. If anyone thinks they see even a fraction of what Couples charges us claiming the employees are getting it, think again.
    These people can hardly afford to pay their electricity bill and work very hard so if I want to, as KrisJamie said perfectly, help out one of my friends, I am going to do it. Bottom line. I would never let anyone know and have never posted anything about it on here to boost my ego but get real people. They make about $3.00 a day!
    Again they are very grateful to have employment and are not complaining, just stating the facts! One love!

  10. #10

    Default

    I both agree and disagree. The giving of normal small gifts of chocolates, perfumes, baseball caps, etc. is one thing. But I have read comments, asking the whereabouts of specific employees by name, because these guests want to give their "friend" a computer and shoes and clothes for their kids. First, I don't like the idea of people posting specific information like that on this message board. And second, to me this creates a fuzzy boundary between tipping and gifting. I don't see how it can be wrong to slip an employee a $20 but okay to give lavish "gifts" worth hundreds of dollars. It can take on the appearance of a way to circumvent the no-tipping policy and still seems unfair to the other employees.

    But I understand the friendships that do develop over the years. So to me, if you want to give lavish "gifts", then take it off the resort. On the resort, they are still employees. Off the resort, then they are just your friends.


  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    Here we go again! Mr. negativity with more his rules for us to follow.
    Lol! I'm assuming that this thread is not a Couples directive for us to follow, right? In fact, I've seen Couples employees post in the FB groups welcoming guests to bring gifts, I assume because they like when guests and staff establish real relationships with each other. I'll follow the Couples' issued policies and ignore the sour vigilantes who seem like they are badly in need of a vacation at Couples. One love.

  12. #12

    Default

    [QUOTE=softail19;267783]I still think these "gifts" are a form of tipping.[/QUO

    we plan to meet off property for lunch to see his daughter and give her the gifts.

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    Here we go again! Mr. negativity with more his rules for us to follow.
    So I just went back through all of my posts looking for whatever you were talking about and am still wondering. I've commented on many things, lots positive, SOME negative but not much about my rules. ( This is my first )

    I don't care about people giving a gift to someone they consider special (To them) and it's no big deal to take something (As many do) for kids. I guess that something like that has a whole different meaning if you feel compelled to post about it on a message board rather than just discreetly doing it.

    Tipping (That's what giving a gift really is) an employee you've developed a relationship with is so much different than what MANY are talking about when they bring up the "little gifts."

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KrisJamie View Post
    C'mon, now. This has been posted about for years.

    Oh goody; absolutes. Did you ever stop to consider that people work within the rule structure to provide help for people that may need it?

    Some of these staff are more than wonderful hosts, and have moved to a role of "friend". If a friend needs something, you help them. The tip sharing program is wonderful, and we've yet to go handing out money like some of the guests insist on doing, nor do we flaunt any gifts in front of other staff we may not have developed a relationship with (yet?)

    I think you posted that just to bolster your ego, personally.
    Not that I have to explain myself to you or anyone else but we are meeting him and his daughter at their home. We will not be "flaunting" anything. I think it's time you get off your soap box and see things for what they really are. Oh and personally I don't give a crap about what you think

  15. #15

    Default

    Wally.... Mr. Negativity..... just happens to be Mr. RIGHT!!!

  16. #16

    Default

    I think for some the whole gift giving issue is a way for those so inclined to "tip" is a way around the no tipping policy. That is not the case. This issue came up a few years back.
    So here is my take on the issue. Couples allows guests to give staff gifts, because over the years, and after many trips back "home", some of the staff there have become more than that. They have become friends. Many have taken us to their homes, where we met their families, their children, saw where they live, and so on.
    So when we go home, we want to bring those who have become friends a gift. Something for them or their kids. Nothing wrong with that. The policy is so those staff members who do receive gifts, do so because of the friendship, not because of the service they give, and their job is not in jeopardy.
    if anyone thinks that bringing gifts for the staff will get them better service, you are wrong. Everyone gets the same service, gift, tip or not. For all the first time guests, don't think for one second that bringing a gift is the norm, it is not, and don't feel that you have to.

  17. #17

    Default

    So, was this thread just created as way to stir the pot now that the Porta-umbrella, drone and chair saving posts have died down?

  18. #18

    Default

    For those that have cultivated such intimate friendships with the staff over the years, here's a suggestion. Rather than spending four to five thousand dollars on a vacation and then presenting these close personal friends with a token gift, why not send the entire amount that you would spend on your vacation to these friends? Even though you wouldn't be in Jamaica you could still post the details on this message board and enjoy the undying adulation of all those who read about it.

  19. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by novastar View Post
    I think for some the whole gift giving issue is a way for those so inclined to "tip" is a way around the no tipping policy. That is not the case. This issue came up a few years back.
    So here is my take on the issue. Couples allows guests to give staff gifts, because over the years, and after many trips back "home", some of the staff there have become more than that. They have become friends. Many have taken us to their homes, where we met their families, their children, saw where they live, and so on.
    So when we go home, we want to bring those who have become friends a gift. Something for them or their kids. Nothing wrong with that. The policy is so those staff members who do receive gifts, do so because of the friendship, not because of the service they give, and their job is not in jeopardy.
    if anyone thinks that bringing gifts for the staff will get them better service, you are wrong. Everyone gets the same service, gift, tip or not. For all the first time guests, don't think for one second that bringing a gift is the norm, it is not, and don't feel that you have to.
    VERY well said Novastar! Gifts for friends! Not service!

  20. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MONA70 View Post
    So, was this thread just created as way to stir the pot now that the Porta-umbrella, drone and chair saving posts have died down?
    hmmmm Damn malcontents!

  21. #21

    Default

    In my opinion people tip because it is good for their self esteem and nothing else. Over the past 80 trips to a Couples we have never given anyone a tip but we seen many do so. We have also seen several staff fired for accepting tips. So.....Make your own choice.

  22. #22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jennifervisme View Post
    I was going to keep my mouth shut on this one but changed my mind. We have become friends with a few of the employees here, and while they are appreciative of even having a job, they keep it real with us. If anyone thinks they see even a fraction of what Couples charges us claiming the employees are getting it, think again.
    These people can hardly afford to pay their electricity bill and work very hard so if I want to, as KrisJamie said perfectly, help out one of my friends, I am going to do it. Bottom line. I would never let anyone know and have never posted anything about it on here to boost my ego but get real people. They make about $3.00 a day!
    Again they are very grateful to have employment and are not complaining, just stating the facts! One love!
    Thanks for posting the info regarding wages. I never really stopped to think about it and assumed that they made a lot more than $3 per day. I did look up info in the Jamaican Gleaner and found that minimum wage is now approx $1.20 per hour based on a 40 hour work week. That is much lower than I would have guessed. Aside from the tipping and gifting discussion here, this simply make me appreciate what the staff at Couples does for all of us!

    Regarding tipping, it is against couples policy and we don't plan on tipping. But even given that stated policy, I really don't have any issue with those that choose to tip, as long as they don't advertise it or make it a big public event. There are many laws and policies that we all choose to ignore in our daily lives. I believe that ignoring policies that improve the earnings of employees in Jamaica is a righteous cause and I simply can't argue against it.

    As for gifting, we plan on providing small gifts to many of the staff as per couples management in the past, this is an acceptable practice.

    Above all, enjoy your trip to Couples and don't be destracted by what others do or don't do on their own vacation.

  23. #23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Woodbridgeata View Post
    Not that I have to explain myself to you or anyone else but we are meeting him and his daughter at their home. We will not be "flaunting" anything. I think it's time you get off your soap box and see things for what they really are. Oh and personally I don't give a crap about what you think
    You'll notice that I quoted two people, and only directed the fact that the policy concerning tips has been around for years.
    Please, learn how to read/use forums before you fall off of YOUR soapbox.

    Thanks.

  24. #24

    Default

    Can someone on staff at Couples please respond to this?
    We've always believed that "gift-giving" was also some kind or form of "tipping" and never would go against Couples' Policy. When Michelle Gordon responded on this thread regarding Tipping ~ she very graciously replied, "Thank you Urbanhousewife and Calm for adhering to the policy... We appreciate it".

    http://couples.com/mb/showthread.php...753#post263753

    So... can we have some clarification?

  25. #25

    Default

    Please do not pee in the hot tub. However, urinating is perfectly acceptable.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •