Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default TA Reviews as of late..

To start, my husband and I are newbies to the Couples Resorts family. Our first trip is set for Aug 15-22 at CTI. We never honeymooned (17 years ago) so we are taking the opportunity to have a "honeymooniversary" kinda thing. We have really had to save HARD for this trip, and cant help but feel a bit of worry when I read some of the newly posted reviews posted to Trip Advisor. I realize that there is no such thing as perfect, but for us, this is a lot of money. I would be so highly disappointed to get to there only to have some of the issues I have read about...especially rude staff. I'd like to get some good feedback from some of you. What are your thoughts?

ALD1976,

Ignore the naysayers. It doesn't matter how well a resort does, there will always be some who will nit pic, or whose expectations are so far over the top, nothing will please them. Some were born to complain. If you look at all the reviews over the past few months, that will give you a very good idea of what it's really like at CTI.
    I find there, as well while home, you get what you give when it comes to dealing with people. Be friendly and respectful, and that is exactly what you will get back. be rude and demanding... then expect the same. The staff are there to make your vacation the best possible experience it can be.
    Be sure to do a trade day over to the sister resort, Sans Souci, while you are there as well.

Not to worry ALD1976 Your time at CTI will definitely be one to remember. And as close to "perfect" as you can get. The reviews on TA are, for some reason that I have never understood, to be taken with a grain of salt. We have been to CTI 38 times over the past twenty years, so when I see a review on TA that complained about some "bugs" in the room, or that there is "sand all over the beach" or any other rediculous claim, I know those things are not true. Some people just need to complain and they arent ever satisfied.
    The entire staff at CTI will make your honeyversary worth waiting 17 years.
    In the immortal woreds of Bob Marley, "Don't worry bout a ting, cause every little ting gonna be alright" I promice.

Richie

25 Years ago my bride and I planned a trip to Couples Ocho Rios, now CTI, to celebrate our 25th anniversary. We have returned 30 times since. Besides the hotel rooms over looking the ocean, the restaurants and bars, entertainment coordinators and the food the best reason to "come hom" is the STAFF. This October we'll return to CTI to spend ten days with friends which we have met over the years at Couples and to be pampered by the staff. Do not believe Trip Adviser reviews. Enjoy your time at our favorite spot on earth.
    Ed & Lynn and 14 other October couplesholics.

ALD1976 - I would proceed with extreme confidence that you will have a fantastic vacation. Couples does things right.

While Couples is so very good at what they do, I am a firm believer that huge part of the vacation experience comes from what each person brings to it. If someone is angry, negative and always looking for fault, they are much more likely to have difficulties...because they will find the difficulties and let it spoil the moment. (I'm no saint...I've done it to myself) For example, if you read this board, you will come across many issues involving the behavior of guests that seem to annoy other guests. I see the same behaviors but have made a conscious effort to NOT let someone else hijack my vacation...so I ignore what I don't like (and mostly succeed).

We are off to CSA in 11 days and we are getting really excited!

Don't believe what you read on TA. We have been to CTA twice. There is nothing that can really prepare you for what you are about to experience. After you pass through Immigrations and Customs you will pass down a short corridor into the arrival terminal. look to your left and you will see the Couples Lounge. This will be your first clue that this will be something special. Check in and enjoy some Red Stripes while you wait for your shuttle bus.

The next clue that this will be something special is when you arrive at the resort and look out the windows on the back side of the lobby.

Don't worry, you made the right choice. Enjoy your stay in paradise.

Only 252 more days until we return to Couples.

TA has long been the nemesis of first time visitors to Couples. While there is good information available on TA, there is also a lot of bogus information posted. I would not take what you read on TA too seriously unless you see it verified here on the Couples message board or some other source. The folks at Couples are very good about allowing honest and often quite critical posts about their resorts here on the message board. As for your particular concern, there will always be some instance of someone running into a staff member that they consider not to be up the their personal standard of what a resort employee should be. But for the vast majority of the staff, and the opinions of most of us repeat visitors, they are some of the friendliest and most attentive kids you will find at a vacation resort anywhere. I would put that issue near the bottom of your list of things to worry about for your trip.
    We too made our first trip to a Couples resort for our "honeymooniversary", only we waited till our 25th. We have been back almost every year since, going for our ninth trip this week to celebrate our 35th anniversary, and we have booked our trip for next year. That should tell you something.
    You will love your vacation at Couples, promise. Have a great trip!
    See you at the beach!
    dirtleg & sandyfoot

I have been to Jamaica twice and never have I had anyone be rude ever! I wouldn't worry about that at all. I kind of feel when I read those posts that they must have been rude first. Everyone is so laid back but so hard working to make your stay great!

been there 8 times no. 9 coming up to CTI would not go any where else 2 years ago we decided to try Mexico would never go back there, but meet people that thought it was wonderful and they go every year.We had to leave a tip every where to get any kind of service which you will never find at couples. The staff is always wonderful at couples. They might have a few employees that are not outstanding but you will have that any where, but over all you will not find a better or kinder staff than couples. They will go out of there way to make your stay perfect.

No worries, ALD. Your money saving efforts will be greatly rewarded. As the sayings goes, "You can't please everyone..." and "The squeaky wheel..." tend to rear their heads on TA. Look at the reviews there from an overall perspective. A large majority of the reviews are extremely positive. On top of that, I feel that Those who want to complain typically do. By that I mean that even with all of the glowing reviews, there are many, many more very satisfied people who don't post a review because there is nothing to complain about (another cliché'..."The silent majority" (grin).

Sleep well until your trip. Choosing the Couples brand was a good decision. And (how many clichés can you reference in one posting?) I don't like Kool-Aid.

Enjoy your trip. You're gonna love love it.
    Happy & Safe Travels!

=

We went to CTI in 2013 and to CN in April of this year, and have never ever encountered "rude staff.

Nancy

Out of 2327 reviews, 2037 are very good and excellent, with most being excellent. I wouldn't worry about it. Other sites are about the same

I'm sure there are 50 posts that will show up before this one, but I can let you know that in multiple trips, to multiple Couples resorts, we have never once come across, seen, experienced, or heard about a rude employee.

I can tell you this: I'm willing to bet the majority of these reviews are from the people that don't take the time to understand, or appreciate the "culture" of the island. Jamaicans are laid back and relaxed people. I often joke that they answer "No problem" all the time because it is no problem to them - they'll get to it when they get to it. Americans traditionally are rushed, and expect to be treated like royalty at all times when on vacation, they expect someone to drop what they're doing to wait on them, and when they don't they are considered "rude" or "lazy".

When I get to the airport to leave for Jamaica, I take my watch off and leave it in the car. I understand that things will be slow, relaxed, non-stressful, we are going to a tropical paradise - not McDonalds.

**Pleas note my reference to "Americans" is a generalization (by an American) and in no way shape or form is intended as an insult, slander, or derogatory statement - just an observation **

Quote Originally Posted by ALD1976 View Post
    To start, my husband and I are newbies to the Couples Resorts family. Our first trip is set for Aug 15-22 at CTI. We never honeymooned (17 years ago) so we are taking the opportunity to have a "honeymooniversary" kinda thing. We have really had to save HARD for this trip, and cant help but feel a bit of worry when I read some of the newly posted reviews posted to Trip Advisor. I realize that there is no such thing as perfect, but for us, this is a lot of money. I would be so highly disappointed to get to there only to have some of the issues I have read about...especially rude staff. I'd like to get some good feedback from some of you. What are your thoughts?
    ALD1976 Put the TA reviews out of your mind! this will be our 5th trip to CTI. In fact we get in on the 20 of Aug so save some Red Stripe for me!

ALD, Just like some Olympic sports, it's good to throw out the high and low scores when reading reviews. I always try to remember that it takes two to perform the tango. It's my opinion that the servers simply mirror the attitude of the customer. A rude customer usually gets the same type of attitude delivered ala carte. I've seen so many people treat resort workers like servants, not service workers. This is true anywhere I have traveled and is very unfortunate.

You will enjoy CSA a lot. If like most people, you simply treat the workers with respect, you will receive it back two fold!

ALD,
    Don't let one bad review carry more weight than a couple hundred good ones. Like you, we too work hard to pay for our trips to Couples. We choose to go back because we are treated so well. I certainly would not return to a resort more than once if some of those claims on TA were true. And neither would the repeaters... quite a few of them who have been over 30 times. Your hard earned money will be well spent and your only disappointment will be getting on that bus to take you back to the airport.
    CTI - 07, 10, 13, 15, 16, 18, 21

My advice is always that same about TA and any reviews really...

Ignore the 5 star and the 1 star reviews! Why? The 1 star reviews are very often someone with a grudge against a resort for some slight they feel they suffered on vacation. So they set out to even the score by trashing the resort for revenge. But why ignore the 5 star ones? Glad you asked! Some people are so drunkenly in love with a resort that they are oblivious or in denial of problems that might make a real difference to vacationers doing research. This group often does more harm than good for their favorite resort because they cannot see anything but what they love about the place so always, no matter what will act like everything is perfect all the time. People who love a resort, but can see and will report the areas that need improvement, or the people who did not like a resort but can appreciate the good things there write reviews that are far more truthful, accurate, and helpful. Stick to the 2-4 reviews is my advice usually... or at least the 5 star ones that mention where improvements are needed.
    Last edited by rhallva; June 10th, 2015 at 06:57 AM.

This July we will make trip number 80 to CTI. I can't imagine a staff member ever being tude unless they were aggravated by a very rude tourist. Over the years we have found the Jamaican people to be the most humane and kindest of all. They ar a very peace loving people that seemingly don't understand the meaning of "prejudice" as we do here in the United States. Remember that you will get back what you give.

In my 12 trips to Jamaica I have seen guests who act entitled and treat staff poorly. No common manners, ie like please or thank you when placing a drink order. And please don't refer to staff as "workers" they are not on an industrial assembly line they are employed in a service oriented field.

Quote Originally Posted by rhallva View Post
    My advice is always that same about TA and any reviews really...

Ignore the 5 star and the 1 star reviews! Why? The 1 star reviews are very often someone with a grudge against a resort for some slight they feel they suffered on vacation. So they set out to even the score by trashing the resort for revenge. But why ignore the 5 star ones? Glad you asked! Some people are so drunkenly in love with a resort that they are oblivious or in denial of problems that might make a real difference to vacationers doing research. This group often does more harm than good for their favorite resort because they cannot see anything but what they love about the place so always, no matter what will act like everything is perfect all the time. People who love a resort, but can see and will report the areas that need improvement, or the people who did not like a resort but can appreciate the good things there write reviews that are far more truthful, accurate, and helpful. Stick to the 2-4 reviews is my advice usually... or at least the 5 star ones that mention where improvements are needed.
    Couldn't agree more rhallva!
    I have left several 5 star reviews on Ta but nothing is ever perfect so I, kindly may I add, leave suggestions on things that may be improved on. Little hiccups here and there in no way deter me from having an awesome vacation!

Thanks all for your very helpful feedback. I am of the opinion that sometimes a vacations is simply, what you choose to make it.
    and OMGosh....so stoked!! lol
    59 days!

Despite some difficult circumstances, Jamaicans, as a whole, have to be among the nicest, most sincere people on the planet. But like anywhere else, individuals have different personalities. Some are really gregarious/effusive, while others are quieter or more reserved. The less-outgoing ones aren't being rude...they simply aren't as naturally outgoing as some others...same as anywhere else on Earth. In 11 or 12 visits to Jamaica (CTI), nobody has ever been rude to us....whether at the resort, at the airport, or on the street. The issue isn't with the staff.....the issue is with the occasional overly-demanding tourists that need to just lighten up and be happy.

But some people out there just aren't happy unless they can find something to be unhappy about.

ALD1976,
    There is a common theme in all the responses you have recieved, RESPECT. If you give it you get it. I just recently returned from 10 nights at CSA and the employees were awesome. I made a conscious effort to ask homever I was in contact with (bartender, barmaid, housekeeper) "How is your day going?"
    It really set the mood that I was having a good day and wanted to share it with them.
    The best advice you got was "take the watch off, leave it in the car" get yourself on island time as soon as you can

ALD1976 Be prepared to be blown away. Don't say we didn't warn you.

We booked our first trip to CSS in Jan 2012 for April 2012. And I read and I read and I read. Probably 3 years of reviews. This was our first trip together EVER. So I was nervous to say the least too. But it prepared me also the "rundown rooms" (lol) the stairs (which are amazing after too many drinks on the beach) and the "slow staff" (lol I LOVE Jamaican time now!) anyways we went with a open mind. And it blew us away! The rooms were out dated yes but it was a nice pace from where we live (Las Vegas NV), the stairs yes plenty but they are a relief after eating or drinking too much, and the Jamaican time reminded us to slow down. We are now awaiting our 4th trip back home! After coming home I wanted to chew out all the people who were negative on TA. Some people just are the type that find every little thing and complain out it! Lol! My only complaint is our first trip we indulged EVERY day on the room service nachos oh my heavens they were delicious! The following year they replaced the shredded melted cheese with nacho cheese (yuck!) but that has been my only complaint in 3 trips. We love Couples they know how to make the trip worth every penny and then some!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast