Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Is it still frowned upon???

We Haven't been back to the island since 2010, but the last time we were there it was still frowned upon to smoke the islands "natural herbs" publicly on the beach.
    Has this changed at all with the recent Decriminalization???? Or will I still get the strange looks from folks??? In the past, I've restrained from such activity due to it being not widely accepted by most of the tourists and only the locals being fine with it. But with new laws I was wondering if the "tourist culture" has changed?

We were at CSA in April and saw a couple of folks lighting up on the beach. For the most part, the only people who care are nearby guests who might not like the fragrance. Throughout the resort, you will smell it, and really, nothing has changed. Remember that it's still not legal, but like before, no one really gives a hoot.
    Ricky Ginsburg
    On the web, always open

Boca Raton, Florida
    (just a 75 minute plane flight from paradise)

Who frowned upon the smoking?? We always ask anyone that is in the area, we hang out at the pool if anyone is opposed to or bothered by smoking. If anyone for any reason has a problem, we go to the tower. We have never had a problem while on TI over the past twenty years. The actual legalization has not taken place yet, it is still being discussed. I don't know how that will affect the resorts. Be discreet and respectful, and you should be fine.

I have been to Couples 8 times in the past 5 years (#9 next month ) and I can't say that I smell that very frequently. This past April at CN there was one guy who was rather bold, puffing on a pipe on the beach out in the open. It was a conservative pipe like Ward Cleaver might have smoked (if he smoked a pipe) but it certainly wasn't Ward Cleaver's tobacco!
    Last edited by Bert; May 26th, 2015 at 09:42 AM.

Oh ok, I guess it's business as usual then (discreetly enjoying the island herbs). I must of been mistaken about the vote earlier this year, thought they made it legal in small amounts.
    Crabracer,
    I've always gotten some unpleasant looks at several resorts when passing by and the aroma catches their attention (not publicly partaking, but the after-smell). It's not everyone, but usually it's a fair enough amount of ppl that I always end up making sure I spray some fragrance on afterward.

This was the official position as of 2013 by Couples. I have not seen anything posted since then.

http://couples.com/mb/showthread.php...t=code+conduct

We didn't see many people smoking it at CSS but could smell it a few times. There are many places to go so you don't bother anyone. I can't speak about any of the other Couples resorts, but I am sure you can find a way to enjoy your favorite smoke without bothering anyone. Some people don't drink but like to smoke, to each ther own. It's your vacation and I'm sure you will do what you want to make it the best time you can. Peace, Love ,Dope

Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    I have been to Couples 8 times in the past 5 years (#9 next month ) and I can't say that I/smell that very frequently. This past April at CN there was one guy who was rather bold, puffing on a pipe on the beach out in the open. It was a conservative pipe like Ward Cleaver might have smoked (if he smoked a pipe) but it certainly wasn't Ward Cleaver's tobacco!
    I wouldn't be so sure about that, Ward seemed t be a pretty laid back guy, never really saw him mad. Lol

But, Ward was pretty hard on the beaver last night.

Discretion is the key word for partaking of the native herb. We will occasionally catch a whiff of said herb as we walk the grounds at CSA, though usually not able to identify the source. It is probably most common in late afternoon, or in the evening. During the rainy period of the day seems to be a popular time to indulge on one's verandah. Most people are very discrete and will keep their smoking on the down low. You won't see it on the beach much and you won't see obvious "partying" going on in the public areas. It's all good.
    See you at the beach!
    dirtleg & sandyfoot

Quote Originally Posted by mizzymiz7 View Post
    Oh ok, I guess it's business as usual then (discreetly enjoying the island herbs). I must of been mistaken about the vote earlier this year, thought they made it legal in small amounts.
    Crabracer,
    I've always gotten some unpleasant looks at several resorts when passing by and the aroma catches their attention (not publicly partaking, but the after-smell). It's not everyone, but usually it's a fair enough amount of ppl that I always end up making sure I spray some fragrance on afterward.
    well, non smokers find the smell of cigarette smoke disgusting, only stands to reason they'd find the "local herbs" equally repugnant.

Here is an excerpt from a more recent Men's Journal article on this:

"Although toking up is still not technically legal, tourists sparking up a joint have generally been ignored. The biggest beneficiaries of the law change will be the residents themselves, who had to worry about relatively large fines, a night in jail, and a criminal record. Now the worst-case scenario for both locals and visitors is getting a ticket and a fine of about $100 American dollars one less reason to get paranoid."

So be warned you could be fined. Be considerate of your neighbors who may not want to be around or inhale the second hand ganga smoke. Couples Resorts are not "spring break" get wild and crazy locations. Respect.

I love the fact that the "Decriminalization" of Ganja sets a "personal use" limit of less than 2 oz. I don't think I've ever SEEN 2 ounces at one time.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
    But, Ward was pretty hard on the beaver last night.
    Always love this one! Thanks
    CTI - 07, 10, 13, 15, 16, 18, 21

Remember no more smoking on balconies, that is where I have always smelled it coming from.

too bad couples does not observe the loud music policy for the resort. I stopped going to CSA due to speakers coming on at 8am with super loud music at pool bar and it's not even open.

Quote Originally Posted by mizzymiz7 View Post
    Crabracer,
    I hear Patchouli oil works well

Do you know if it was easy to find?

Quote Originally Posted by cwhale11 View Post
    The herb???? It is Jamaica mon! Very easy.
    Gene and Jeanne
    CSS October 2012, 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017
    CSS/CTI October 2018

It will find you....

It is very easy to find.

This will not be your problem.

cwhale11 - extremely.

You don't have to look for it, it will find you.

It is a cottage industry with the bell boys at the front desk at least at CSA and CSS. I will be suprised if this gets posted.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast