Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Porta-Brella Compactable Beach Umbrella at Couples Swept Away

A recent Trip Advisor review on CSA showed 2 couples using the Porta-Brella Compactable Beach Umbrella on the CSA beach, because all the Palapas were already taken and the lounge chairs were crowded together with people underneath the shade palms. Does CSA management or personnel have any objection to guests using the Porta-Brella's for shade; especially since there are not that many palapas for shade.

Default Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by LakeTak View Post
    A recent Trip Advisor review on CSA showed 2 couples using the Porta-Brella Compactable Beach Umbrella on the CSA beach, because all the Palapas were already taken and the lounge chairs were crowded together with people underneath the shade palms. Does CSA management or personnel have any objection to guests using the Porta-Brella's for shade; especially since there are not that many palapas for shade.
    We saw these while we were at CSA last week. Prior to arrival, we had researched a number of these umbrellas. We will definitely be investing in one prior to our next trip!! I think hubby is resounding to this from across the room at the same time I am lol!

The answer is no. I asked Karen, the General Manager about them and she said, no problem as long as they don't interfere with other guests. We were there at the same time and spoke to these folks about the umbrellas. They set them up in full sun where few dare to venture. We are buying one shortly for our next trip and will take it thereafter if it works out for us.

Even if 30 guests did this at the same time, each with their own umbrella, they are nice enough that it doesn't affect the ambiance of the beach, nor does it block anyone's view. If nothing else, it frees up a palapa or a shady spot on the beach. Thank you and you're welcome.

And here's where you buy them.
    Ricky Ginsburg
    On the web, always open

Boca Raton, Florida
    (just a 75 minute plane flight from paradise)

aaand we're off!! lmao.

This will interfere with people's views. It's going to cause problems and they are opening a can of worms.

Interesting, in the past the were explicitly denied. I don't care either way. I would like to see an official statement on this though

While I can appreciate the desire to have an umbrella, I would worry that if too many people decided to bring their own it would certainly impact the views, ambiance, and general feel of the beach. While I know of no official position on umbrellas, I sincerely hope that it does not become a common occurrence. All I can picture is the jersey shore:

Name:  beach-umbrella-north-copy1.jpg
Views: 4550
Size:  315.7 KB

Say it ain't so joe!!!

The "Meat" of the matter is "Why Couples Swept Away" does not put up more Palapas for their guests. That would be the best solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Beer_Suds View Post
    While I can appreciate the desire to have an umbrella, I would worry that if too many people decided to bring their own it would certainly impact the views, ambiance, and general feel of the beach. While I know of no official position on umbrellas, I sincerely hope that it does not become a common occurrence. All I can picture is the jersey shore:

Name:  beach-umbrella-north-copy1.jpg
Views: 4550
Size:  315.7 KB
    Interesting as the OP is from NJ. I guess they think it's normal and what beaches should have.

In the past there was an official position that weaselymon posted, but it doesn't come up in the search anymore as I believe they purged all his posts after he left.

Must be North Jersey

If they could make these to look like mini-palm trees maybe it would be ok, but otherwise I hope they don't become too common. Would definitely change the visual aesthetic of the CSA beachline.

Well, this along with large wedding parties and the increase in price are all reasons why we'll probably never return to CSA (after 9 visits)….Sad….

Palapas are overrated and umbrellas are ugly. I can always find shade IF I need it.

There were two of them there last week & they stuck out like sore thumbs. I would not like it if I was sitting in a nice cozy spot on the beach & someone set these things up in front of me. There is plenty of naturel shade via trees at CSA. This would most definatly take away from the ambiance of what we are there for. Let's see, beds on the beach, drones, now umbrellas. Please stop trying to change our beloved Swept Away. Just my humble opinion & no dispespect intended.

Unfortunately Couples did reply in the "Ask the CRO" board and approved their use.

This will completely ruin the ambiance and "feel" of being in a tropical paradise for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Beer_Suds View Post

This will completely ruin the ambiance and "feel" of being in a tropical paradise for me.
    Not the drunken singles or massive groups? How odd.

Swept Away has always been a romantic resort to visit, with the Jamaican culture to enjoy. Living in Florida we see beach umbrellsa at every beach and think nothing of it, we have one also, but would never think of bring one to to CSA, it just doesn't "fit" with the Jamaican culture in my opinion. Find a palm tree or a palapa or wear a darn hat! Leave good enough alone!

Helen & Paul, Fl.

2002 CSA, 2006 CSA, 2010, CSA, 2011 CSA, 2012 CSA, 2013 CSA, 2014 CSA, 2015 CSA, 2016 CSA, 2017 CSS/CSA, 2018 CSA, 2019 CSA, 2020 ?????

Quote Originally Posted by blondie56 View Post
    Swept Away has always been a romantic resort to visit, with the Jamaican culture to enjoy. Living in Florida we see beach umbrellsa at every beach and think nothing of it, we have one also, but would never think of bring one to to CSA, it just doesn't "fit" with the Jamaican culture in my opinion. Find a palm tree or a palapa or wear a darn hat! Leave good enough alone!
    Couldn't agree more

Maybe the Issa's could purchase the portion of beach between the S property and the B property and that could be the zone for: umbrellas, drones, large wedding groups, and leave CSA as the nice romantic location we all have grown to love?

I have mixed feelings on this. My wife is fair skinned and needs shade while I love the sun. There is definitely a need for more shade options at CSA and Couples should address that with permanent options for their guests. If not more palapas then perhaps some of the canvas type shadesail screens in more open areas and away from the shoreline. Being from NJ and seeing umbrellas everywhere (I often take one too!) I have to admit it does take away from being on the beach when you can't see the water. What is next, wind screens? We have an abundance of them here on our beaches as well as people use them to stake out their territory more so than to block wind. With no clear rules on how many can be put up and where, this can grow as a problem. CSA is after all a beach resort more than a pool resort so that is where most guests end up. Another problem we have with umbrellas up here on the Jersey beaches is the occasional near impaling of sun bathers by other guest's umbrellas that blow loose and tumble down the beach. People do not always secure them that well in the sand. I can only hope that Couples addresses this in a policy that is made clear to all guest to avoid problems down the road and on the beach. They have the ultimate responsibility for the comfort and safety of the guests. No one wants or needs an uncomfortable situation or disagreement while on vacation. Respect...

Maybe a designated umbrella section of the beach would be a possible compromise. I agree that we don't want the Couples beaches to look like the shot above!

Who cares?! If one or five people want to bring them to assure their own shade, so what? It's not like 100 people are going to spend the money and schlep these to Jamaica.

They don't have a designated smoking area (on the beach), or a drink-too-much-and-be-loud-and-obnoxious area, or a topless area...

Relax! It's Jamaica!

Quote Originally Posted by Suzi View Post
    Who cares?! If one or five people want to bring them to assure their own shade, so what? It's not like 100 people are going to spend the money and schlep these to Jamaica.

They don't have a designated smoking area (on the beach), or a drink-too-much-and-be-loud-and-obnoxious area, or a topless area...

Relax! It's Jamaica!
    No offense intended - but I care. Sure, 1 or 2 people it may not be that distracting, but what happens after 100 TA reviews that mention them and EVERYONE starts bringing them?
    I'd prefer to be able to lie on the beach and SEE the ocean, not assume it's nearby. I'd prefer to not have to navigate the maze of umbrellas to get to the water. I'd prefer to be able to enjoy the peaceful tranquility and ambiance I've come to expect in Jamaica, and not the umbrellas, pop-up shades, and various other items people use to create "their space" on the jersey beaches.

I come to Jamaica for the ambiance, the romance, the tranquility, the view and because it's NOT Jersey.

I've never had an issue with rowdy drunks, singles, or large groups, or topless sunbathing ruining the atmosphere for me. If my neighbor is too loud, I can move. If my neighbor erects a multicolored tower of vinyl and aluminum I can't exactly move far enough away to not be able t see it. If 100 people erect personal UV protection devices I don't have ANY options left except to go sit in my room and wish I was able to see the beach.

So yes, I care.

I have to say I agree with Beer_Suds on this.... I would hate to see the CSA beach start to look like like the Jersey Shore. I also don't understand the fuss over shade. I am a fair skinned red head and unless something has changed we have always been able to find plenty of shade. You had to move your chairs once and awhile as the day went on, but no big deal.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast