Default Porta-Brella Compactable Beach Umbrella at Couples Swept Away

I just read in a recent Trip Advisor Review at CSA that 2 couples used a Porta-Brella Umbrella to use on the Beach; since all the Palapas were taken and the sun lounges were all bunched up under shade with people, under the trees. Does CSA management or personnel object to this?

Blog Entries

Hi LakeTak,

Those are OK to use as long as they are not interfering other guests.

See you soon!
    Carrie
    CRO, Couples Resorts

That's disappointing. I come to Jamaica for Palm trees - if I want to see umbrellas I'll save $3k and go to Jersey.

I agree Beer_Suds!

I live in Jersey...... I could save a WHOLE lot of $$$$.

Couples should look into more shade options like large square sailshades or more palapas which are permanent. These need to be in open areas back from the shoreline. If umbrellas start popping up in front of everyone it will not be good at all. If umbrellas are allowed are sun screens far behind? I live near the Jersey shore and going there while not being able to see the ocean due to all the umbrellas and land claiming with wind screens ruins the experience so I hope this does not happen at Couples. I haven't seen picturesque travel photos of tropical all inclusive with a clutter of multi colored umbrellas on the beach. Safety is also an issue as people are at times in danger of being struck by run away umbrellas as they dislodge from wind gusts and blow down the beach. Let's ban unlimited use of these or limit them to an isolated area away from the main beach areas. Let's keep the beach beautifully scenic, clutter free, and tranquil.
    Name:  Umbrellas.jpg
Views: 2909
Size:  278.4 KB
    Last edited by rckbert; May 19th, 2015 at 10:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rckbert View Post
    Couples should look into more shade options like large square sailshades or more palapas which are permanent. These need to be in open areas back from the shoreline. If umbrellas start popping up in front of everyone it will not be good at all. If umbrellas are allowed are sun screens far behind? I live near the Jersey shore and going there while not being able to see the ocean due to all the umbrellas and land claiming with wind screens ruins the experience so I hope this does not happen at Couples. I haven't seen picturesque travel photos of tropical all inclusive with a clutter of multi colored umbrellas on the beach. Safety is also an issue as people are at times in danger of being struck by run away umbrellas as they dislodge from wind gusts and blow down the beach. Let's ban unlimited use of these or limit them to an isolated area away from the main beach areas. Let's keep the beach beautifully scenic, clutter free, and tranquil.
    Name:  Umbrellas.jpg
Views: 2909
Size:  278.4 KB
    with the wind at TI, that could spell trouble. I don't want to start ducking beach umbrellas or wind screen. See you at the Jersey shore this weekend!!!

Dear Mr. or Ms. CRO,

Thank you for defining CSA's stance on beach umbrellas. You have officially sealed the deal for us. We've visited CSA 9 times since 2000 (the last few years we were living on the other side of the world, so couldn't make our usual 10 days over the US Thanksgiving holiday).

We were so happy to return to the US for many reasons, but chief among them was our ability to return to CSA, one of our favorite vacation spots! We had heard about the large wedding groups, and weren't really thrilled about that, but figured we could move around the resort to get away from them. The approval of shade umbrellas on the beach was the frosting on the cake for us, though, as we believe these really cheapen the beach scene for us and while we understand that a resort needs to change with the times, this kind of change just doesn't work for us.

We really hope that your decision doesn't create anything close to the situation pictured in the posts above, but if it does, you'll be able to say that these changes were made under your watch. Hope that makes you proud!

All the best,

Gonegril
    Last edited by gonegril; May 24th, 2015 at 12:56 PM.

Name:  RelaxingIslandBeach-S.jpg
Views: 2459
Size:  66.0 KB
    This is not the picture perfect, serene, relaxing view of the Caribbean that people save all year for. If Couples decides to go with the cluttered NJ shore or Miami beach umbrella look then count us out. I can drive 20 minutes down the road and get that. If you think the statement "Those are OK to use as long as they are not interfering other guests." will solve the problem just wait for the arguments between guests who don't want an umbrella set up right in front of them on the beach and no clear policy in place to deal with it. Couples will need to add beach police to break those up. You have just created a whole new form of arguments and complaints beyond the usual saved lounge chair issue. I have never been to any other Caribbean all inclusives where they allowed guests to plant their own umbrellas out on the beach! Please ban personal umbrellas now and be very clear about it.

I have to agree with rckbert and gonegril. We are from NJ and used to the umbrella parking lot that is the Jersey beach.
    We will be at CSA in August but this would definitely ruin the experience for us.
    I really hope Couples reevaluates their policy on this. Once this is allowed it WILL look like the pictures posted.

My vote is no umbrellas also. It takes me a long time to save up the money for Couples. I don't ever want to see a bunch of umbrellas on the beach. If I am ever bothered by umbrellas, I would not notify the management. I would just find another resort and never return.

I also hope they change their minds on this. I think ther is plenty of shade as long as people are considerate and stop saving spots in the shade that they are not using. If the umbrellas start poping up at Couples beaches we to might have to start looking for a new home as well.

Only permanent Couples installed shade options should be allowed. We were married at Couples and have been back 8 times. We have also visited other islands where Couples does not have resorts and stayed in various all inclusives. NONE of them ever allowed personal umbrellas on the beach! In the very competitive world of tropical island resorts it is the resort that offers the best customer service, food, and picture postcard location that excels. Swaying palm trees...yes, various sized multi colored personal umbrellas littering the beach blocking guests views...never. Correct this now rather than when guests start showing up with their beach clutter. PLEASE!

Blog Entries

Hi all -

Apologies for the late response, but I did want to confirm with the resort operations team that nothing has changed. We take great care to provide simplistic, authentic Jamaican experience at Couples Swept Away – and this includes our beach area. We ask that guests do not bring their own umbrella to the beach area. Hope this can clarify a bit of your concerns.

Carrie
    Carrie
    CRO, Couples Resorts