Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default CTI beach compared to CSA beach

Hello, fellow Jamaica/Couples Resorts lovers!

My husband and I went to CSA last year (first and only time to Jamaica) and LOVED it. We'd like to go there again, but we also thought it would be nice to visit Ocho Rios and, specifically, the Falls this time. I know that CSA's beach is much bigger, but is CTI's nice as well? Nice white sand? Plenty of shade? We really enjoyed our relaxing time on the beach and in the water, as well as the water sports, so I want to be sure that we'll still be able to enjoy the beach at CTI.

Thank you for any insight you might offer!

Hi there! Our first trip was to CTI in Nov 2013 and it was wonderful!! The beach is smaller but it is very intimate and relaxing! Plenty of shade and sun and water sports/activities as well! Dunns is a must if you go to Ocho and if you choose CTI give the island a try at least once! You really can't go wrong, CTI is wonderful!

No to all three of your questions. Course brown sand, not much shade.
    <font size=2>
    CN 2006, CSS 2009, CN 2009, CN 2010, CTI 2010, CN 2011, CSS 2012, CN 2012, CN 2013, CSA 2014, CN 2014, CSA 2015, CN 2015, CN 2016, CN 2018, CN2019

Hmmm, so far, two totally contradictory answers! Anyone else been to both and can give a comparison?. Again, I know CTI beach is much smaller - just want to know whether the sand is just as wonderful and if there is still plenty of room without feeling "crowded," including shade?

Hi Glenda,
    We to went to CSA for our first trip to Jamaica in 2010, then in 2011, and again in 2012! We loved CSA so much!!! When it came time to book our fourth couples trip for 2013 there was a super deal going on for CTI. Before we even got there we would have a $650 resort credit. So we booked CTI.
    We worried so much before we got there but believe me you will have a great time!! We were more than happy with the beach, there is plenty of shade and the sand may not be as fluffy and white as it is at CSA, but it is still beautiful. The restaurants were awesome, just as good as CSA.
    One of the things we really liked about CTI was it wasn't so spread out. I'm sure you will find things you may feel are deal breakers but you go and decide for yourself!!!!!
    We are returning for our third trip to CTI this Aug. 2015, along with some of our Life Long Friends we've made at Couples.
    I'm not saying we will never go back to CSA, we loved it there to, but with the way the rates have gone up, THAT may be a deal breaker for us. Enjoy!!!!

CSA-2010,2011,2012
    CTI-2013,2014,2015

I find the sand at CTI to be significantly less pleasant than in Negril. It's much courser, not nearly as soft and fine. The beach itself is nice, and it's in a cover, so more private (i.e. no beach vendors). The kelp grows heavily in the water for the first 20 or so feet which I find off-putting compared to the sandy bottom of Negril.

But these are just my opinions based on limited time on the beach - the island is SPECTACULAR!!!

We've been to Tower Isle twice so far. Comparing apples to oranges. Tower Isle is nice in its own way.

There is sand at the Tower Isle beach. Smaller than Swept Away, but then, Tower Isle is a much smaller resort. The beach is plenty big enough for the amount of people on the resort. You can find some shade if you want it. You will find some rocks on the bottom. We prefer to wear aqua shoes in the water, but it isn't really required.

One thing I like more about the Tower Isle beach is that it is completely isolated. A sea wall on one side and cliffs on the other side. You do not have the steady parade of people from other resorts, vendors, drug dealers, etc on the beach. There is no steady parade of outsiders on the water either.

About the only outsider you will see is once or twice a day Joe will paddle up to the resort on his surfboard selling seashells. He won't come up to the shore unless you call him. He will stay outside the swimming area. I think since he is not very obnoxious security leaves him alone.

The watersports are just as nice at CTI. We try to go snorkeling as much as possible. Ask them to take you to the shipwreck. It is pretty cool.

As said before, if you go to CTI you should really try the island at least once. Give it a valid chance, at least 30 minutes or so. If you get too uncomfortable you can always simply put your clothes back on, go to the dock, and you will be back on the main resort in a matter of minutes.

Only 297 more days until we return to paradise. We haven't chosen which Couples resort yet.

Hi Glenda. While CTI is a fabulous resort that we loved dearly (including the island), don't go there and compare the beach with CSA. You will be very disappointed. There is sufficient shade and the water, view and water sports are incredible but the beaches on the Negril side are hands down better and prettier. As for Dunn's River falls, and this is just my opinion, don't go there expecting to be wowed either. I thought it was very commercialized, crowded and rushed. It is free so you don't have much to loose except a couple of hours. Welcome to the Couples family and I'm sure you'll have a GREAT time regardless of the location you choose. Once again, CTI is wonderful!

I agree with Wally, but with that being said, my wife and I have been to CSA 3 times and this year will be our third trip to CTI. We prefer CTI over CSA as the resort is much smaller so you get to know the staff and guests better. I am a diver, so I use the watersports daily, and there isn't much if any difference with the dive staff, all good there. CSA has a much better and newer Newton Boat than CTI, but the diving is just as good and in fact at times much better. The food at CTI is excellent, but I would have to give the thumbs up to CSA as the food at Feathers is better than Eight Rivers, Patois better than Verandah but Bayside is better than Lemon Grass and the buffet's are about the same. CTI has room service and none at CSA, but both do have a continental breakfast that is delivered to your room if requested. The swim up pool bar at CTI is a more lively place than at CSA, and then there is the Island. Everyone needs to give " Island Time" a try at least once. Now if you are only going for the Beach, then you will need to go to CSA. A much better beach "hands Down", white sand and fairly shallow and calm waters. CTI beach although nice is very small and the water gets deep quickly and the surf is larger than that at CSA. We tried CTI as my wife wanted to try something different, so we gave CTI a try and we have never looked back. We would go back to CSA, but we have met Friends for Life at CTI and really look forward to seeing them each year. Either way, you will not make a bad decision when it comes to Couples Resorts, Irie mon and have a Red stripe on me.

CTI has plenty of shade in the afternoon - from about 2pm on (depending on the time of the year) the hotel casts a very big shadow across the beach, and the pool but, thankfully, not the island.

The sand at CSA and CN is like Negril sand...never seen anything like it except in Negril. The sand at CSS ant CTI is like Iowa river sand...it's still sand, but no where near soft and white!
    <font size=2>
    CN 2006, CSS 2009, CN 2009, CN 2010, CTI 2010, CN 2011, CSS 2012, CN 2012, CN 2013, CSA 2014, CN 2014, CSA 2015, CN 2015, CN 2016, CN 2018, CN2019

Have been to both beaches more than once. The beach at CSA tops all the others by a long ways. The sand is wonderful on the beach and in the water. CTI has some rocks in the water just off the beach. Shade is not an issue at CTI or CSA. We also think the water sports at CSA is much better.

Life is good

Thank you, all of you! You've definitely made the decision much easier. While I'm sure CTI is great, it really is all about relaxing on the beach for us, so I think CSA is the best choice for us! Thanks again!

The beach at CN on bloody bay is even better than CSA, it is wider.

The beach at cn is deeper but csa is a much longer beach, therefore we don't feel cramped at csa like we did at cn

Just got back. Beach is MUCH MUCH SMALLER and sand is not as white. However, we loved the intimacy of it. If actual beach is important, dont think twice choose CSA or CN.

I have only been to CTI... Small beach, plenty of chairs and shade. The water is a little choppy and there is a lot of seaweed in the floor of the ocean.

As many have said you can't just compare the beaches to get the full experience of the two resorts but I will give a simple try. CSA is on the Seven Mile Beach on the west coast which allows long walks, softer white sand, long gentle sand slope as walk out into the water, no seaweed or rocks, and a calm water surface for using your floatie. CTI is more on the north eastern part of the island and is a smaller man made beach but still plenty of room for the guests. CTI has 2 nice pools that attract a lot of the guests while CSA has very small pools and the guests usually end up on the beach. When we have been to CTI the wind is stronger as it usually comes off the ocean from the east. The water can be a bit choppy at times (not huge waves) and as you venture out into the water the sand drops off quickly so you are in deeper water not far off the shoreline. There are some seaweed and rocks on the bottom. The catamaran trip was also rather choppy from the wind. There are many other things to compare between these two resort before you make up your mind. Each has its own "personalities" that you can and will enjoy. Either way, you are in Jamaica at Couples and you will have a wonderful time.

Not sure why the Ocho Rios haters have to continually give their negative opinions. Everyone has their favorite Resort but to continually diss another Resort in the same family is just not classy. What about keeping quiet if you have nothing nice to say or make sure you say it's only your opinion. We have been to all the Resorts and our personal favorite is CTI followed by CSA.

Quote Originally Posted by dandj View Post
    Not sure why the Ocho Rios haters have to continually give their negative opinions. Everyone has their favorite Resort but to continually diss another Resort in the same family is just not classy. What about keeping quiet if you have nothing nice to say or make sure you say it's only your opinion. We have been to all the Resorts and our personal favorite is CTI followed by CSA.
    Haters? I don't see hate in any of the responses. The OP asked for a comparison of the beaches of CTI and CSA. If you love the Ocho resorts, congratulations. There may be things about these resorts that make them preferable, in your mind, to CSA. But no one could objectively say that those beaches are in any way comparable to Seven Mile Beach.

Quote Originally Posted by Gin Mon View Post
    Haters? I don't see hate in any of the responses. The OP asked for a comparison of the beaches of CTI and CSA. If you love the Ocho resorts, congratulations. There may be things about these resorts that make them preferable, in your mind, to CSA. But no one could objectively say that those beaches are in any way comparable to Seven Mile Beach.
    they do kind of make it sound like you might as well go to myrtle beach if you aren't going to negril

Quote Originally Posted by stevenva View Post
    they do kind of make it sound like you might as well go to myrtle beach if you aren't going to negril
    I disagree. For those that have been to both, they know there is quite a difference between the beach at CTI and Negril. Not even really close in terms of sand and water. This doesn't mean that CTI is any less of a resort to stay at. It's a Couples, so of course it's wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by muck View Post
    I disagree. For those that have been to both, they know there is quite a difference between the beach at CTI and Negril. Not even really close in terms of sand and water. This doesn't mean that CTI is any less of a resort to stay at. It's a Couples, so of course it's wonderful.
    Rocks, seasweed, coarse ugly sand..........they sure aren't painting a very nice picture. In fact, haven't seen anything posted to make me think CTI will be anything but a disappointement. All seems to be pretty negative. Starting to think I should have booked somewhere else. It seems I will be spending quite a bit of money for a resort wit a pretty low end beach

I have stayed at both resorts. The sand and water do not compare. As someone said you are talking apples and oranges. If the beach is the most important element to your trip, then I would stick with Negril. Ocho Rios beaches are just not as nice as Negrils. And I understand wanting to be on a beach all day as that is what we do. We spend hours floating in the ocean and enjoy the calm waves and sandy floor of Negril. Ocho Rios does not have the calm waters or sandy floor. Not trying to be a hater here, just stating the facts. When I was at CTI, the only thing I missed was the beach. Otherwise everything else was very comparable. And consequently because the beach is important to us, even though we have been to both resorts in Ocho Rios, we will stay in Negril. Both resorts are fabulous in Ocho Rios, we just prefer the beaches of Negril.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

As the OP here, I have to say, as my post stated, I do not doubt that CTI is a wonderful resort, with maybe even some things that perhaps can't be enjoyed at CSA (which is what prompted me to consider it in the first place!). My question was never which is the best resort, or even which has the nicest beach. My question was ONLY that, if wonderfully soft and cool sand, lack of seaweed, no need for water shoes, calmness of water ("floatability"), relatively shallow water, and roominess and shade are really, REALLY important to us, would we enjoy the beach at CTI at all. If those things really are the most important to us, above ALL OTHER features of the resort, would CTI disappoint us? Thank you to all who answered that question very specifically! There is no doubt in my mind now that CSA (or, I suppose, CN) is what WE want and LOVE! No hate, please!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast