Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sunglasses..??

Default Sunglasses..??

Just a quick question. What do most of you do for shades? Bring the good $200 ones or buy some cheapies for the trip?
    I know of a local lake around here that has a couple of nice pairs of Oakleys and Maui Jim's in it. Because apparently I'm a slow learner.....Bawhahaha!
    Just a quick poll..

We go to the Dollar Store and get several cheap ones. This way, if they get scratched in the sand, broken or lost, we simply go back to the room and grab another pair. Since they are cheap, we don't feel bad if they get ruined.

Only 304 more days until we return to paradise.

Boomer49 I have never paid more than $20.00 for a pair of shades so I think you know my answer already.
    Not sure I could deal with Dollar Store shades but that is a great idea to check out

Cheap

Panama Jack makes some really good shades for about $20 Last trip a friend of ours tried a pair of mine on & was surprised at the clarity & the price compared to his Muai Jim's..just sayin.

We take both. Some nice "cool" polarized ones for bumming around, but cheapies for ocean time.

We always take cheap reader sunglasses for our aging eyes. Now days you can find them stylish, and cheap.

Jeff and Susan
    CSS: 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010,
    2011, 2012, 2013, 2016, 2020
    CTI: 2009
    CN: 2011, 2015

Also, for the older set like me I have found there are Cheater Sunglasses that have magnifiers built in for reading on the beach rather than risking my perscription sunglasses, since I wont be driving anywhere.

The sun is so nasty in Jamaica that I want good polarized lens and the best UV protection I can get...take good glasses and a safety strap.

Umm Boomer me thinks you answered your own question,, lol
    CSS 2010, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018

I always get a cheap pair and leave my good one at home, but this past year I put my good pair away and when we returned I couldn't find them. Still looking...in the meantime I'm wearing the cheap ones.....
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

I have prescription glasses so I take my expensive sunglasses along with my regular clear pair! I always travel with a back up pair of Transitions prescription glasses that change from clear to sunglasses automatically. Luckily I've never needed them on any vacation!

Boomer, would that be LOTO?

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer49 View Post
    Just a quick question. What do most of you do for shades? Bring the good $200 ones or buy some cheapies for the trip?
    I know of a local lake around here that has a couple of nice pairs of Oakleys and Maui Jim's in it. Because apparently I'm a slow learner.....Bawhahaha!
    Just a quick poll..
    I bring one pair of good ones and 3-4 pairs of dollar store sunglasses that I would not mourn if lost overboard while sailing, etc.

Amazon. Polarized.
    My favorite pair was ~25 bucks, made by Anarchy, and has red/yel/grn accents.

I am the opposite, I do not leave home without my Maui Jim's and a backup pair of Oakleys

I need them more in Jamaica than at home.

My wife and I bring our Maui Jim's.
    I also have prescription glasses that transition, but in the very bright sunlight or out on the water I wear my Maui Jim's.

Oakleys all the time every trip!
    Randi & Sherri
    18x CSA repeaters
    1x CN

Maui Jim's sport model with the readers built in. I have several pairs. The best glasses ever.

Kevinm....I guess I'm slow....what is LOTO??
    And it was just a poll to past the time, There are advantages to both trains of thought.

I need to wear prescription glasses so I have RayBans with my prescription for heavy duty protection, however my new daily glasses are self shading so that works well mostly. If you don't need a prescription then most any cheap set will do but at my/our age some prescription is a necessity.

RayBan Predators, all day, every day

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer49 View Post
    Kevinm....I guess I'm slow....what is LOTO??
    And it was just a poll to past the time, There are advantages to both trains of thought.
    LOTO = Lake of the Ozarks

We have and use a bunch of the Berkeley polarized glasses with various levels of readers built into them. Keep them in the house, car, boat, etc. They are usually found for ~$20 in the fishing section of your favorite walmart.

RayBans for sure, I have very sensitive eyes...

my experience is: my good sunglasses + copious amounts of rum = nothing good can come from this !

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast