Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Drone Photography

I've seen Couples use Drone photography in various social media and marketing and was wondering if there were any restrictions on guests using these devices during their stays. RC Drones equipped with quality cameras are now quite affordable , and portable. Has there been any Couples resort policy or Jamaican law with regard to use of these devices?

Given that 3 of the 4 Couples properties has AN facilities, I would hope that drones would be forbidden.

YES. I will personally shoot the sucker out of the air myself. This is not something I would want to put up with while relaxing in paradise.

Life is good

Sorry Karl,
    I sure do not know Couples policy, but a drone on the beach I am on (especially the AN beaches) is a drone I am going to complain about.
    Gene and Jeanne
    CSS October 2012, 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017
    CSS/CTI October 2018

Really?

I would, personally, find guests using drones to take photos a bit over the top (no pun intended) and intrusive. Maybe that's just me though. But no, I have not seen or heard any sort of regulation or rules on drone surveillance.
    See you at the beach!
    dirtleg & sandyfoot

My God no!! Talk about invasion of privacy!! Drones..really??!! I agree with Beach Bum, I see one of those stupid things hoovering over me, I'll swat it down with my beach towel! Unbeleivable...why would you want pictures of strangers anyway??

Wait... what? WHAT??? No way... there is a long way to go from a controlled access photo shoot for an ad campaign and some wahoo invading the privacy of those on the beach... you know, the ones who paid a lot of money to go someplace to get away from it all.... and I mean IT ALL. There is a reason that Couples reiterates time and time again that they will NOT join in on the 24 hr webcam craze... and that is to protect the privacy of their clients.

I would hope that Couples would jump in quickly with a stated policy on this... and I mean REALLY quickly!

Please, please, PULLLLLEASE!!!!!
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

Yes, drones are banned because they fall under this Couples policy:

"Do not do anything that might disturb others while on the beach."

I don't think that will fly at CTI. Would be kind of fun to use the Bocce balls to throw at one, and see who could get the kill.

When we were at CSA in Jan/Feb, the guest staying in the room underneath our room had a drone. He flew it on the beach and also over at the fitness center. We did not talk to him to see if someone had hired him to use the drone, or if he was using it for his own personal reasons. The buzzing noise was a little bit annoying.

I see this as an opportunity to hone my slingshot skills. I have never taken it to Jamaica for fear of having it confiscated, but I may try it now. Of course I will have to make certain that the shot does not come down on the beach and harm an innocent bystander. Is good Mon!

Maybe I should buy a drone (with no camera of course) that shoots down other drones!
    <font size=2>
    CN 2006, CSS 2009, CN 2009, CN 2010, CTI 2010, CN 2011, CSS 2012, CN 2012, CN 2013, CSA 2014, CN 2014, CSA 2015, CN 2015, CN 2016, CN 2018, CN2019

Well Karl, I think by now you get that this is not a good idea!

It was just a question, people, relax!! Geez

We were at CSA at the end of July last year and there were two guys flying their quad helicopters on the beach on several days. They were flying them very close to the other guests and I kept waiting for a gust of wind to bring one down on someone. Don't know if they had cameras on them. Looked like they were just flying them for the fun of it but we found the noise very irritating and always went to the other end of the beach when they were out. Don't get me wrong , I fly RC helis too and I know they are a lot of fun , battery life is short , but it was so peaceful not to have to hear the jet skis running up and down the beach , and then they would show up. Few other people were looking a little peeved after awhile too. IMHO leave it at home. You can do a week without it and take regular handheld pictures like the rest of us. Besides , More room in your luggage for bring back items and you won't run the risk of PO others. Not even getting into the privacy aspect. Don't want you taking my picture unless I ask you too. Respect.

CSA Aug. 2011, July 2012, July 2013, July 2014, Oct. 2015
    CSS Aug. 2011, Aug. 2014

Well, this seems like all kinds of fun!! There could be all types of events...
    Personal, I don't get to aggravated with in-animate objects, so it might be worth finding the person responsible for such unbelievable inconsideration, that has the controls. I just hope the unified response to this question will deter anyone from wasting their time and energy. Really thought Couples was about PEACE.

I find it hard to believe that someone did not complain about the guest flying it at CSA

I thought this was an adults only resort

drbcwp - I don't know if anyone complained about the drone while we were at CSA, but he was definitely there and used it numerous times.

Default Paranioa will destroy ya

Whoa Whoa Whoa..
    Why does everyone assume that the intention of a drone or its operator is for invasion of privacy? It is a high Quality camera mounted on an object that allows different perspectives. I see 10's of people every year with DSLR cameras taking pictures up and down the beach, out towards the water and of flowers and landscaping. I see no mention of banning those photographers. We only ever go to CSA and it IS a public beach. I would NEVER violtae or invade peoples privacy or make someone a SUBJECT of a phot. But CSA is on a PUBLIC beach. What are your expectations for privacy there?

Take a look at videos taken with drones at beaches and other picturesque places and tell me how these are an invasion?

https://youtu.be/esUsBLF5CCU?t=25s

And don't presume people's actions are ill intended because of something you may have seen on the news. All this paranoia makes me wonder what everybody is doing while in Jamaica!
    Last edited by Karl; April 16th, 2015 at 12:59 PM.

Karl...

Please understand, and I think you'll agree... there is a huge difference between targeted snapshots on the beach and indiscriminate overviews from a drone. I don't think anyone is suggesting that there is malicious intent as far as use of the camera on a drone, but then again, what IS the advantage of having a camera suspended below a whirring remote controlled helio?

There are other concerns as well. I suspect, for example, that the drone videos you linked are taken when the wind is down and the drone is easily maneuvered. In the past, folks have had to deal with the noise and real danger of dodging jet-skis; of late, there have been several instances of horses running pell-mell along the beach, which, as you note is public. Now drones?

By the way, you did ask, but sorry... and with as much due respect as I can muster up for your (a stranger) ability to safely control your plaything, I simply can't get on-board with it.
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    Whoa Whoa Whoa..
    Why does everyone assume that the intention of a drone or its operator is for invasion of privacy? It is a high Quality camera mounted on an object that allows different perspectives. I see 10's of people every year with DSLR cameras taking pictures up and down the beach, out towards the water and of flowers and landscaping. I see no mention of banning those photographers. We only ever go to CSA and it IS a public beach. I would NEVER violtae or invade peoples privacy or make someone a SUBJECT of a phot. But CSA is on a PUBLIC beach. What are your expectations for privacy there?

Take a look at videos taken with drones at beaches and other picturesque places and tell me how these are an invasion?

https://youtu.be/esUsBLF5CCU?t=25s

And don't presume people's actions are ill intended because of something you may have seen on the news. All this paranoia makes me wonder what everybody is doing while in Jamaica!
    I'm not presuming anything, and I'm not paranoid. Who's presuming now?

I don't bring a football or frisbee with me to Swept Away because I understand that people want tranquility, not projectiles flying through the air up and down the beach. IT DOESN'T MATTER THAT IT'S PUBLIC, the beach is to be enjoyed by everyone, and no one has the right to take away from that. So it's not about what you CAN get away with, it's about doing the right thing. All by yourself. With nobody having to spell it out or explain it to you. I most certainly have the right to toss a football or a frisbee, I just know that it could disturb someone who DOESN'T want to see that.
    They make cool little RC motorized boats too. Hey, maybe a few dozen guests will decide that it's within their rights to buzz those around in the water, or maybe a cool dune buggy to zip around in the sand. Awesome! Using your logic (?) they could justify it by strapping a GoPro camera to the thing. Just imaging what great pictures they could get, while pissing off everyone else in the process.

I'm suggesting everyone leave their little motorized vehicles / boats / flying machines at home.
    You don't "get it", then have the nerve to call other people paranoid and presumptuous who DO "get it"?

Finally, I noticed that the third word in your reply was "EVERYONE"... Ya think just maybe you might be on the wrong side of this one, Karl???

"makes me wonder whay everybody is doing while in Jamaica"... The answer to that would be NUNYA Karl..apparantly you just don't get it.

If they're over SSB, I'm shooting it down.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast