Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I wouldn't worry about people moving your stuff. We didn't see anybody do that - at least, if we did, those people never came back to even notice that their stuff had been moved. We leave our beach bag on the chair while we float.

The concern is with the people who drop a towel and a magazine on a few chairs and then disappear for hours. And if you're on the beach for hours, it's not that hard to realize your neighbors aren't coming.

We are early risers (5:30 - 6AM) and were amazed at CSA that people would get up that early to save chairs they didn't even use. People may do it at the other resorts, but CSA was the only place we had trouble finding two loungers "open" on a few occasions. Like I said above, it didn't ruin our Couples experience (trip #6 in 10 days), but it was a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonofthebeach View Post
    I said this before & I will say it again..It is "never" cool to move someone's belongings just because they might leave their chair unattended for longer than what pleases you! I do not condone reserving huts & never using them, nor four chairs for two people, etc. Alot of times people just leave their towels on the chairs when they leave for the day, dont condone that either. We set up our chairs around 9:30 am, go eat breakfast, & return before 10am. We have our favorite spot on the beach & we are in those chairs all day, except to swim, eat a quick lunch, or get a drink, it's been that way for 22 visits & will be that way for 22 more if I live that long! There are plenty of loungers, they have wheels, you just might have to drag them where you want them, can't speak for peak season, but from April on, we have never had a problem finding chairs. If you are going to sleep till noon, don't expect to get a prime spot, if ya snooze, ya loose, end of story. My point is, when you take it upon yourself to move someone's belongings, you might be opening up a can of worms that really shouldn't be opened. We are all on vacation to relax & have a good time & get away from all the rules & regulations & strict guidelines we all deal with in our daily lives. If you let this chair nonsense get to you, you will be missing out on what Jamaica is all about. No one wants to have bad situation occur for no good reason. Respect goes both ways. Relax mon & don't stress ove the chair monitors.
    To which I should NOT have to add... 'nuff said! But I will... 'nuff said!

Wow is right! I am up at the crack of dawn, I even get a palapa once in a while. we leave our chairs plenty of times to go swim, I leave to go to lunch, I leave to use the restroom. Otherwise, we live on the beach every moment the sun is out. I would be LIVID if someone moved my belongings from the spot that I got up early and chose. SonoftheBeach summed it up best - you snooze, you lose!

Also, I have never seen people putting belongings on Palapas the night before. I have seen staff and security pick up things that were left there at night. Early dawn, yes, I have seen it, but I also see plently of folks just like me, sitting on the beach, reading and watching the sun come up on the beach.

Don't touch other people's belongings. The solution to a problem can't be to do something just as wrong.

We all want beach chairs to be available, but let's work with the resort towards an actual solution.

Can we all commit to bringing this to the attention of the GM (Karen) and to other managers at the Repeater's Dinner?

Guests talking to her at the resort, week after week, should help bring about a solution.

Not that the Couples Message Board isn't a good forum, but this same discussion has been popping up here for a long time now...

We didn't snooze, and we still lost. Lots of empty chairs with towels and magazines, all day. I'm too passive aggressive to move someone else's lonely belongings.

And it was just at CSA. Maybe we were just there during a week with a bunch of jerks who enjoyed blocking other people's use of the resorts assets.

I guess my only solution is to take my beach bag/towel with me to meals, spa, excursions to enable use of at least those loungers by other guests who are on their own vacation schedule. Just because we're early birds due our careers doesn't mean everyone needs to be (during their time off) to enjoy the resort that they also paid for.

And if I forget my stuff, please feel free to move it.

[QUOTE]We've only been to CTI and never had a chair problem or problem with people moving our stuff. I'm really starting to wonder if we made a mistake booking CSA this trip if I have to deal with people moving my stuff and stealing chairs because I want to be in the ocean instead of sitting in my chairs.QUOTE]

I am going to guess that you will be fine and no one will move anything. This is another topic people like to fight about for 3 pages, but becomes a non issue when you are there. If I am wrong however, and some major REAL fist fights have occurred over this, now THAt would be entertaining reading.

[QUOTE=MONA70;264592]
    We've only been to CTI and never had a chair problem or problem with people moving our stuff. I'm really starting to wonder if we made a mistake booking CSA this trip if I have to deal with people moving my stuff and stealing chairs because I want to be in the ocean instead of sitting in my chairs.QUOTE]

I am going to guess that you will be fine and no one will move anything. This is another topic people like to fight about for 3 pages, but becomes a non issue when you are there. If I am wrong however, and some major REAL fist fights have occurred over this, now THAt would be entertaining reading.

Fist fights & arguments are what we are trying to avoid. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, & as I said earlier, respect goes both ways. No, there really is no issue of people moving your belongings at CSA & I am sure we all want to keep it that way. Don't let this nonsense make you doubt your decision of CSA, you will love it, & see that this topic is blown way out of poportion!

Quote Originally Posted by usmc7236 View Post
    I just go ahead and move unattended stuff out of the way. I'll deal with the confrontation that almost never happens as it comes. Hard for anyone to be difficult about you taking a spot that doesn't belong to them when they weren't using it. If anyone is inclined to get nasty about it (which I've not experienced) I'll deal with that as it comes.
    LOL!!! Another Internet Tough Guy....

I"m not sure what can be done about people saving chairs, or saving chairs in more than one location,and not using them. That just rude. But I also feel its rude to remove someones belonging just because you want their chair etc. And who decides whats an "acceptable" amount of time to be away? I know that if there was some sort of rule about how long you can leave your things unattended I"d be stressing out everytime I went for a walk, into the water, or to grab something to eat. And I really don't want to have to drag everything back to our room, or into the Palms or Patio( at CSA) everytime our bodies aren't going to be in our chairs for say an hour or whatever time it takes to do normal beach day actives.
    The one thing that is an easy fix for the "night before" palapa hoarders is to have staff remove anything that is left on chairs before a certain hour in the morning..maybe 6am or so? And have this mentioned in the handouts at checkin. I guess Couples could also ask guest at that time to please not reserve chairs if they are not going to be used. A little common courtesy that maybe people just need to be reminded about.

Last May we found most palapas to have items on them at 3 and 4 a.m. Ridiculous. Glad we go to Jamaica to sit in the sun.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonofthebeach View Post
    I said this before & I will say it again..It is "never" cool to move someone's belongings just because they might leave their chair unattended for longer than what pleases you! I do not condone reserving huts & never using them, nor four chairs for two people, etc. Alot of times people just leave their towels on the chairs when they leave for the day, dont condone that either. We set up our chairs around 9:30 am, go eat breakfast, & return before 10am. We have our favorite spot on the beach & we are in those chairs all day, except to swim, eat a quick lunch, or get a drink, it's been that way for 22 visits & will be that way for 22 more if I live that long! There are plenty of loungers, they have wheels, you just might have to drag them where you want them, can't speak for peak season, but from April on, we have never had a problem finding chairs. If you are going to sleep till noon, don't expect to get a prime spot, if ya snooze, ya loose, end of story. My point is, when you take it upon yourself to move someone's belongings, you might be opening up a can of worms that really shouldn't be opened. We are all on vacation to relax & have a good time & get away from all the rules & regulations & strict guidelines we all deal with in our daily lives. If you let this chair nonsense get to you, you will be missing out on what Jamaica is all about. No one wants to have bad situation occur for no good reason. Respect goes both ways. Relax mon & don't stress ove the chair monitors.
    Said and Done!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ORV View Post
    This is an excellent question and one I haven't seen here before. I'm glad you brought it up. Looking forward to the discussion on this subject.
    If you have not seen this question before, you haven't read past 5-10 posts. This comes up so often, almost as often as the sunrise 😀

Well, I am one guilty of "saving a palapa & chairs". I tend to awaken to the tree frogs and sounds of the surf before the sun rises... I find its quite refreshing and invigorating to go down to the beach early, toss our stuff on a few chairs under a palapa, and go for an early morning surf run down to Margaritaville and back, followed by a long ocean swim to finish out the cardio... So yes, if you get up early you might find our stuff on a chair without us on it. Every trip, we try to make new friends and invite them to share the palapa and chairs, otherwise we remove our stuff when we go diving/ back to room for more than a few minutes... Its never been a problem, thus far.

Hell, we are on vacation, I would rather lay on a towel in the sand, than be at work... No palapa, no chair?? No worries, I'll stretch out in the sand and enjoy the loving rays of the Jamaica Sun!

As for removing people's belongings, hmm not a wise move... That could easily be construed as having rifled/burglarized/pilfered through my or my wife's bag(other person's bags), any of which are heavily frowned upon by the Jamaican Authorities... Being yelled at by a pissed off vacationer will pale in comparison to being interrogated by foreign law enforcement officers.

Chief Romance Officer

Hello all,

Thank you for the question and I agree, this one has been quite the popular subject and the management team has been talking about this issue in depth, and I promise to shed new light as it arises.

As it stands now, all beach umbrellas, palapas and chairs on the beach are first come first serve. In this case, the early bird gets the worm. You are welcome to wake up early and place a towel or belonging on a chair in order to 'reserve' it. However, we do ask respect for other guests in that others do not leave their items on the chairs all day without returning. This way, everyone can enjoy the items equally.

Personally, I never have a problem with finding a seat on the beach. I usually meander to the beach around 11 or so and have never had trouble finding a spot to sit. (Across all four resorts). I don't personally agree with "saving" seats, so I choose not to do so... but that is just my two cents!

Carrie
    CRO, Couples Resorts

I say we get rid of all the palapas!! End of problem!!

We were at CSA this last August/September, and there were MORE than enough loungers (and floaties) to go around. In fact, I'd venture to say there were more chairs UNoccupied than occupied! Also, just to make you feel better about the palapas: Most of the time, they were all taken or reserved, but several times, we had the opportunity to grab one. The one time we did, we ended up moving because it simply was not as nice and breezy as otherwise, not to mention that to get in and out from under them, you have to bend over, and that was making my back ache! I'm very fair-skinned, and I had no problem with just the shade the palm trees afford! And there's much better visibility and airflow there! It's a win-win!

We just got back from a 10 day stay at CSS. The first week was fine, you could walk onto SSB at anytime of the morning and get loungers no problem. However on the 24th 2 groups arrived and it got crazy. Saturday morning at 8:30 there was not a lounger to be seen that didn't have a towel on it. I went out the next morning at 6:30 to reserve one and there was only 6 left. People were leaving gear on them the night before and then not showing up until after lunch. Most of them then spent the rest of the day in the pool and didn't remove their belongings. I spoke to a couple of them and they were mostly former GL Negril patrons for whom this is a regular thing. I found it ridiculous that in order to get shade on a beach, I would have to get up in the middle of the night.
    I'm on vacation, I left the getting up early at home.

We returned last week from CSA. My daughter and her boyfriend were part of our group and my daughter placed her towels on chairs under one of the papalas. The people in the room next to her placed their things on top of her towels and tried to claim them. My daughter got them but these people and their friends kept walking by her and making comments to her - bullying her so much that she finally gave them up. She told them she didn't want them to talk to her ever again. One of the security guards who was a witness to all of this told her he would make sure they left her alone.

Just got back last night from 10 days at CSA, there were plenty of empty chairs even by 11am., lots of shade under the trees if you need it & there was even an empty palapa in the early afternoon one day, the only problem was one obnoxious vendor who thought our beach was his office & wayyy overstayed his welcome, but that's a whole other story.

Quote Originally Posted by IrieNewf View Post
    We just got back from a 10 day stay at CSS. The first week was fine, you could walk onto SSB at anytime of the morning and get loungers no problem. However on the 24th 2 groups arrived and it got crazy. Saturday morning at 8:30 there was not a lounger to be seen that didn't have a towel on it. I went out the next morning at 6:30 to reserve one and there was only 6 left. People were leaving gear on them the night before and then not showing up until after lunch. Most of them then spent the rest of the day in the pool and didn't remove their belongings. I spoke to a couple of them and they were mostly former GL Negril patrons for whom this is a regular thing. I found it ridiculous that in order to get shade on a beach, I would have to get up in the middle of the night.
    I'm on vacation, I left the getting up early at home.
    This. their stuff would be on the ground.

Hey Everybody - I believe I have found the solution to the Palapa Problem. It is called "Porta-Brella Compactable Beach Umbrella's". They are only 24"long, weigh 5 lbs, and can be packed in your suitcase. CSA and mgt personnel have no problem with guests using them................

I did think about it but just not in the mood to have an argument with some selfish twit while on my vacation. The worse part of this was listening to the woman at the pool directing 3 other couples to the loungers she had saved for them.

Seems this thread is full of stress. Either its the chair monitors complaining or its the chair hogs trying to justify their rudeness.
    Both sides need to show more consideration for other people. Just saying.

drop me a line

dadofsprout5 at gmail

Quote Originally Posted by Suzi View Post
    If you have not seen this question before, you haven't read past 5-10 posts. This comes up so often, almost as often as the sunrise ��
    Whoosh, look up.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast