Default Looks like we will have to find a new vacation spot!

My wife and I just got back from a wonderful vacation (Feb 12th-26th, 2015) coming from Edmonton, Alberta, Canada this was our 8th consecutive trip and always to Couples Negril, we had a little bit of bad weather (never ever a resort issues, although some think it is???). We are both scuba divers and we were both very disappointed with the dive boat issues this year, although we did get Mr. Issa's ear coming off of the boat (as did many others!) and hopefully things will change soon! (possibly a Newton 46 in the future!- Lets all hope this happens!).

Everything was exactly as it has been in the past the best, best, best ,best staff ever, the food was excellent, the beach was fantastic. We got back and immediately looked into booking for Valentines day 2016, looks like this may not happen. We use Air transit for the direct flight and we always go for two weeks (to damn cold and to far to go too not stay for the full 2 weeks) $ 11,900.00 Canadian for two weeks (2,500.00 bump from 2015 prices), WOW,WOW! looks like we will be looking elsewhere! Is it just us out in Western Canada that are seeing these increases in the prices or is this happening across North America please chime in!

Thanks,

Dave

And... on top of what I think is a pretty MAJOR increase in prices, they have dropped the Early Booking Bonus to $250 from $300....
    We may be making our last trip "home" in a couple of weeks after 7 years, if this is what we can expect when we look to book again after we return.

Quote Originally Posted by dly2k1 View Post
    My wife and I just got back from a wonderful vacation (Feb 12th-26th, 2015) coming from Edmonton, Alberta, Canada this was our 8th consecutive trip and always to Couples Negril, we had a little bit of bad weather (never ever a resort issues, although some think it is???). We are both scuba divers and we were both very disappointed with the dive boat issues this year, although we did get Mr. Issa's ear coming off of the boat (as did many others!) and hopefully things will change soon! (possibly a Newton 46 in the future!- Lets all hope this happens!).

Everything was exactly as it has been in the past the best, best, best ,best staff ever, the food was excellent, the beach was fantastic. We got back and immediately looked into booking for Valentines day 2016, looks like this may not happen. We use Air transit for the direct flight and we always go for two weeks (to damn cold and to far to go too not stay for the full 2 weeks) $ 11,900.00 Canadian for two weeks (2,500.00 bump from 2015 prices), WOW,WOW! looks like we will be looking elsewhere! Is it just us out in Western Canada that are seeing these increases in the prices or is this happening across North America please chime in!

Thanks,

Dave
    I don't seem to be able to get prices for that far out but current price out of Halifax for late Jan 2016 is about $1000 pp higher than what I paid in Sept 2014 for our one week stay starting on Mar 23rd 2015 (yippee!!). Our flight is a direct on Westjet. Here's to hoping that prices will decline over coming months!!

I booked today, early booking prices for October 2016 so it's possible. They did jack up the rates in high season from what I've read so now we must go in hurricane season, much cheaper.

The CAD dollar against the US dollar has taken a big hit. it was $1.27 CAD as of today, a year ago it was around $1.06 CAD. That's a 20% hit and probably a considerable amount of the price difference

Is the increase including a flight increase? Granted, "high season" has expanded a bit (significantly increasing prices for people whose usual time has now moved into high season). We tend to NOT go in high season, so have not see big increases.

Quote Originally Posted by Dadofsprout5 View Post
    The CAD dollar against the US dollar has taken a big hit. it was $1.27 CAD as of today, a year ago it was around $1.06 CAD. That's a 20% hit and probably a considerable amount of the price difference
    I agree, if you are looking at the CAD price then I'm sure it's skyrocketed considering how low the loonie is to the American dollar right now. A 20% price difference over a few thousand dollars adds up quick.

Hey Dave, we're from Ontario, we fly out of Toronto. Do you get the AirTransat package - flight and hotel? We usually get the package, Air Canada, Westjet or AirTransat whichever is the best deal. We never purchase this early though. I checked the travel web site we usually use and it does not look like all the airlines have their packages up yet. I would just keep watching a better deal may very well come up. Good luck!

I just booked yesterday for January 27th 2016 for a week....on Westjet which was four hundred dollars cheaper than Sunwing or AirTransat...if this helps.

Out of Toronto a difference of almost $1,600.00 from Feb. 2015 to Feb. 2016 on Air Canada Vacations (Rouge). Like you said the dive boat issues were a problem this year and with the increase have to wonder if it's worth it.

Echo to Bert's comments. Minimal increase for us. And with Southwest flying to MBJ, we may even get by cheaper.

Kurt and Angela
    CN 2011, 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017
    CSS 2014, 2016, 2017

No huge price increases seen for us in the last few years. Maybe I get in at the 'right' time. I watch airfares over a few different carriers, leaving out of a few different locations (JFK/PHL/BWI) and have paid within $50 of our fares over the last 10 years.
    Lynn & Craig, Delaware
    CN 2000,2010,2015
    CTI 2009,2011,2015
    CSA 2012 & 2013

I also watch the website and fly out of Toronto. Last year (2014) I booked in March for a December 27
    trip and I never saw a lower price then what I paid in March. Some prices went up $ 2000.00 the closer it
    got to the end of the year. I have again taken a chance and booked 10 days for Couples Negril Nov. 20/15
    and have seen prices through Sunwing, Air Canada and WestJet so I am hoping that I don't see a drastic
    reduction. Couples Negril here we come for trip No. 6 however have also stayed at all the other Couples
    properties.

As Canadians we are often held hostage by our limited number of carriers to destinations. To the Caribbean from western Canada our choices are even more limited. We do not have the luxury of numerous direct flights or a quick trip south of the boarder for direct flights. When the demand for flights is high so is the price to fly add to that limited seats in the travel season (Oct-Apr) generally. If we wait and book later to try for last minute deals we can not get the direct flights or the we have a poor choice in flights through Toronto. Flights are often not released for 9 months prior to departure which makes the early booking bonus achievable for Canadians. Couples has increased their rate by approx $99.00/USD which makes an increase of approx $1390 USD on a 14 day stay. Add in the price of airfare and the exchange rate(CND - USD (currently 27%) and we are almost cheaper going to Tahiti or Maldives. I do not agree that the service and quality are the same as the past years. I find there is less staff doing the same amount of work service is good when the staff is available. The food quality and selection is not what it once was and service during the rush times is not what it once was. The dive boat (bubbles) is in dry dock and the loaner boat (rental boat) is inconsistent at best (we were stranded one day for approx 1 hour as the crew worked to get it fixed so we could hobble back to shore), the ski boats are also inconsistent. The workers are as friendly and accommodating as possible however as stated there seems to be less employees trying to accommodate the same number of guests.

I do not begrudge anyone from making money I do however question where my money is being utilized when the facilities, amenities and services are continually declining. If the staff was receiving it I would have no issues.

I am aware that I could change my dates and go in low season and it would be more cost effective however it would also mean even less choice on flights, not being there with my Couples friends and leaving Canada when the weather is not that bad. And part of te draw of Couples is meeting up with friends from around the globe and my Couples Family. If I'm not going to see my friends anyway I could save money and go to an alternate destination. While I love Couples Negril and my Couples family I can not justify spending 10 months of mortgage payments on a two week vacation.
    Rose
    I am not high Maintenance, I am deservedly Spoiled!

Couples Preferred Agent - Here to assist with your booking

CN was next in our rotation. Since it looks like they moved up "high season" to mid December at this resort, we will most likely be finding a new destination for December 2016 as well. The price has increased $1700 room only from what we paid 3 years ago for 10 days, same dates, same room, all during early booking. I realize we had the free night and $300 resort credit which makes a difference but this is getting way past what we are willing to spend.

Apples to apples. No air. Early booking, same dates, same days, same room catagory.

2013 Deluxe Beachfront 10 days $4214 with $300 early booking bonus.
    2015 Deluxe Beachfront 10 days $4300 with $300 early booking bonus.
    2016 Deluxe Beachfront 10 days $5902 with $250 early booking bonus.

Due to the jobs we have, we don't have the flexibility of changing our dates to take advantage of the summer/fall pricing. And until now the dates we had were still in lower season. (I'm just talking about CN for these prices as CTI and CSS still seem to be reasonable)
    We'll have a great time at CTI this December and have pleasant memories of past vactations. I will keep watching pricing and specials with the hope we will be back.
    Ronda and Doug
    COR Dec. 2007
    CTI Dec. 2009
    CSS Dec. 2008, Dec. 2012, Dec. 2014
    CN Dec. 2011, Dec. 2013