Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Club Mobay Question

My wife and I are going to CSS on May 26th......we get down there on a Tuesday at like 12:42pm. Do you think that Club Mobay is worth it? Or do you think that it is needed? This is our first time to Jamaica and I was considering it just to make things just a little easier. We would only do it for Arrivals......what is everyone's thoughts on this?

Thank you!

As with anything like this, it is a perceived value. Only you can decide if it is worth the money.

If all you are concerned about is getting through Immigrations and Customs quickly, then maybe not such a big deal. The main tourist season is from about mid January until early April. We tend to travel to Jamaica in mid February. Because we like a direct flight, this means that we arrive on a weekend because of flight availability out of Milwaukee. This time of the year, there can be 10 aircraft arriving at Sangster International Airport every 30 minutes in the afternoon during the weekend. The typical aircraft that lands at Montego Bay will average about 150 passengers. This means that there could be over 1500 people passing through Immigration and Customs in a 30 minute period. Things will get backed up during peak tourist season. On two of our trips, before Club MOBAY, the line started near the top of the ramp leading down to the Immigration and Customs area. We stood in line for nearly 3 hours. On our last trip, the airport was just as busy. But this time we used Club MOBAY. We walked around all of these people and were next in line.. We collected our bags and went to the front of the next line. From the aircraft door to the Couples lounge took only about 15 minutes.

With that said. May is not during peak tourist season. May 26th is also a Tuesday. Even now in peak tourist season, there are half as many flights arriving at Sangster International Airport on a weekday vs the weekend. I don't think you will gain all that much time.

But then there is the special treatment. Someone waiting with a sign to greet you when you get off of the airplane. Someone to check your papers ahead of time to make sure there will not be any problems. Someone who knows where to go to lead you through the airport. Going to the front of the lines. A choice between using the Club MOBAY lounge or the Couples lounge while waiting for the bus for your resort. Special treatment.

You may also want to consider the departure service. The time saved really isn't much of an issue. Couples will get you there in plenty of time to pass through Security and make your flight. You will be waiting at least 2 hours for your flight. But it is nice having access to the Club MOBAY departure lounge. When you check in you give them your name and flight number. They will announce your flight in plenty of time to board. The lounge is a nice place to wait. The food and drinks included are good. There is a locker to put your stuff. You don't need to drag around your carry on luggage if you decide to cruise some of the shops in the departure area. You are pampered one last time before you leave paradise.

You can purchase the arrival and departure service separately or as a package. But there isn't always a price break for the package.

For us, since we travel during peak tourist season on the weekend, we will continue to use Club MOBAY for all future trips to Jamaica.

Enjoy your stay in paradise.
    Last edited by Mad Jack; February 19th, 2015 at 08:50 AM.

We're flying in on the 24th and opted to do both arrivals and departures, just in case. This'll be our first time to Jamaica also.

CTI in T-94 days!

Anyone have any experience with traveling into MBJ on a Sunday around noon in April? Is there a large crowd? Or is it a somewhat "quiet" day? Trying to decide on Club Mobay for arrival.

Thanks!
    CSS 5/21-5/31/13
    CSS 4/12-4/24/15

Tuesdays are probably one of the slowest days at MBJ in terms of volume of people arriving.
    Happy & Safe Travels!

=

Don't waste your money! A Tuesday In May will not be busy. You will most likely ony have to deal with the poeple on your flight.
    We have arrived in late Februrary and March the last 7 years, on various week days, and have never waited in the customs line for more then 10 minutes.

We got the departure the last time we were there and loved it just for the lounge itself. Within twenty minutes it paid for itself with the free mixed drinks we got at the bar in the lounge and the quiet computer room I got to check my emails in while my future husband had a cigar in the airport's smoking lounge. We're going to get the arrival and departure package this time around though.

Ok we leave next Sunday, March 1. Can we still purchase MoBay? I have MS and certainly don't want to spend my energy waiting three hours to get transportation to CSA. We went in July last time and never had a problem but this is the first I have heard of MoBay....

We think Club Mobay is worth it for departure. It is much nicer to wait for your flight in the lounge with a snack and a drink. Arrivals - not worth it to us...of course to each their own.
    CSS - March, 2012, April, 2018
    CTI - March, 2013, 2014, 2015, October, 2016, March, 2017, April, 2019

Mrsdaisy I'm not sure about next Sunday but I know they are fully booked on Mar.2. I checked last week and they said they were booked for our flight. I'm not sure if they allow so many passengers from each flight.

Hi Gang,

Our group of four will be first-timers to Jamaica and Couples Negril Monday April 13th-20th. We are pretty sure we will be using departure service but are not sure about arrival. Our flight lands at 1:35 from Chicago. I looked at FlightStats.com for the last few Mondays and it looks like there are usually 11 flights arriving that hour on average. I know the Couples lounge has Red Stripe but our ladies aren't into beer. Insurance is nice but I was hoping for a little informed guidance from some veterans. We want no worries, mon!
    I have been reading various threads and making notes of the great information you all put on the message board. Thank you!!!

Can't Wait!
    Jim

Ok I disagree with all of you saying Tuesdays aren't busy. It depends more on the time you land, not the day. We always travel on a Tuesday, land around noon with 3-4 other planes, and stand in line for 1.5-2 hours - in October. This year we're headed down in May on a Tuesday and booked both departure and arrival. I hate waiting and would much rather be in the lounge drinking a Red Stripe then standing in line. If the lines move fast, great for everyone else. I won't be getting grumpy standing in line this time

We've never used it. On arrival, we've never waited long to get through customs & immigration. Once at Couples lounge we never waited more than 15 minutes until we headed to the shuttle. For departures, we never really felt the need as we shopped at the airport until it was time to board.

Duane & Mary

Quote Originally Posted by Jim&Staci View Post
    Hi Gang,

Our group of four will be first-timers to Jamaica and Couples Negril Monday April 13th-20th. We are pretty sure we will be using departure service but are not sure about arrival. Our flight lands at 1:35 from Chicago. I looked at FlightStats.com for the last few Mondays and it looks like there are usually 11 flights arriving that hour on average. I know the Couples lounge has Red Stripe but our ladies aren't into beer. Insurance is nice but I was hoping for a little informed guidance from some veterans. We want no worries, mon!
    I have been reading various threads and making notes of the great information you all put on the message board. Thank you!!!

Can't Wait!
    Jim
    Hi Jim,
    We use Club MoBay both ways. I enjoy the arrival because they also have rum punch and some lovely sandwiches which are a bit refreshing and much needed after a long flight. We've been through MBJ when we've waited an hour to get through Immigration and I've used MoBay when there was no one in line, but I still would use MoBay with no wait as I so enjoy the rum punch and sandwiches.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

Jim and Staci! I'm not a big fan of beer either so always felt left out at the Couples Lounge when my hubby was handed a Red Stripe. One good thing about booking the Club Mobay Arrival Service is that their lounge is right next door to Couples' Lounge and you can wait there until it's time to catch the shuttle! The biggest bonus is that they serve yummy rum punch while you are waiting and have great light snacks too! They will also fix you up with rum punch or Red Stripe to go! :-)

Thanks Guys,

You sold me on it. I'd rather sit in a lounge than a line. I'll keep reading to get more tips/clues. Next we will be looking into 1/2 day tours. We like to hang out by the pool and enjoy the activities, especially volleyball, but our friends like to head out and see the country. 44 days, 23hrs, 50min til our flight takes off.

Jim

We loved club mobay and are using it this trip also....kinda cool to be greeted when you land and then relax with a cold beverage before boarding the bus...and having a place to hang before catching your flight home is awesome.

Ok, we are booked for Club Mobay. Let the countdown continue...

Thank you all for your input!
    I think the wife and I will be doing Club Mobay just because it will be nice to have someone helping you out and you are guaranteed no lines! Piece of mind is what I like to think of it as. 84 DAYS AND COUNTING!

We came in yesterday afternoon. I was too late in booking ClubMobay as they were all sold out for our flight. I'm not sure how this works but we were able to use the kiosks and were in the airport and collecting our bags within 15 min. We came in from Canada on a Westjet flight. There were a number of planes in and we were at first in a line but when asked our flight they moved us to the kiosks which had no one there. I think they have to have a passenger list as a lady marked our name off. Again not really sure what went on
    but very quick.

Hi, does anyone know what the airport will be like over the Easter break? We land at 16.15 on Sunday 5th April(Easter Sunday.) We have no idea if it will be extra busy, on that date, due to the holiday season..

We flew in last year on the Saturday of Easter weekend and it was BUSY. The Club Mobay rep explained that due to the holiday weekend there were a limited number of Customs staff. Even with the Mobay express line we were about an hour getting through.

Any year that my wife and I arrived on a Saturday in March or April it has been a total nightmare. Hours waiting in line. Like some people said the line was to the top of the ramp. We usually landed around 11am - 2 pm....nightmare. We landed a few times on a Friday in March and April around that same 11am time slot...smooth sailing. Practically ran through immigration and customs. 10 minutes to Couples lounge. This year we have to fly in on Saturday. I will book Mobay. 2 years ago we booked it on the way back. The lounge was sooooooo much better than waiting in the airport. Like some folks said, if you like keeping the drinking going on the way home then you will easily drink the cost of the lounge. We ordered buffalo wings and other apps. It comes from the places in the airport (Margaritville) you pay for those. There are plenty of other little apps and sandwiches included.

Quote Originally Posted by leonkelly View Post
    Like some folks said, if you like keeping the drinking going on the way home then you will easily drink the cost of the lounge.
    Ha, the one time we did the departure service, my husband called it "beating the house." Two to three drinks each plus as much food as we could stand > $30pp. 😁

I was just able to book arrival on March 21. Return date March 28 is full. Well at least I will get there quick. Looks like Margaritaville on the way back as long as its not too full !!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast