Default Question on Tipping

My wife and I will be coming to Sans Souci in May for our Honeymoon!.........With that being said I have a couple of questions that I was hoping you great people that have already been to this resort could help me with. I have been to an All-Inclusive in Mexico and we tipped the people at the resort very frequently.

Is this the same at the Couples Sans Souci? I have heard that they are strict NO TIP policy.......but I just wanted to know from the people that have been there.

What is the policy at the Lounge in the airport?? Or the Shuttle bus driver??

Also another question about the Lounge at the airport......(sorry last one) Is it pretty easy to find? I know that when you get off the plane you have to go through customs and get your bags and what not...but after that is it pretty easy to find it?

Thank you so much for all of your help!! I really appreciate it!

FIRST TIMERS hoping to become LIFE TIMERS!!!!

You have to tip the baggage handlers at the airport unless you can manage to keep your bag out of their hands when they are taking you to the shuttle bus. We only had two bags the last time we were there and I wanted to carry my own bags but they wouldn't allow me to and then the girl literally stepped in my way and demanded we tip her (although she wasn't carrying our bags, two other gentlemen were) $5. With that said I would tip the shuttle driver, since they get you to the resort safe and sound, but Couples has a strict no tipping policy on the resort. Staff can actually be fired if it's found that they are taking a tip from you.

Really there's no tipping except the airport porters, shuttle bus drivers and spa ladies. Just past the customs area is a hallway, take a left and you'll see the lounge. Very easy to find.

At Couples no tipping really means no tipping. In 6 visits we have never been made to feel like we should slip someone a tip. We have seen people try to tip and it becomes very uncomfortable for everyone. And our favorite no tipping moment is when a bartender gave us a wink, put the $5 in the trash and said not worth my job. The only exception is in the spa, they should be tipped. Now anyone who isn't a couples employe will expect/ demand a tip.

Once you finish immigration, get your bags, go through customs you will round one more corner and there it's is the Couples lounge. Can't miss it!!!

Here is a statement from Couples Management regarding tipping I found on the CSS FB page:

"please note below as noted by Couples Resorts Management:
    We receive a lot of comments and inquiries about tipping.

There are 3 good reasons why we have NO tipping policy at the hotel.
    1. You already paid the tip. A portion of the room rate you are paying is set for gratuity.
    The employees are paid salary then an additional gratuity amount is added to their paycheck.
    2. Per above, everyone gets something - not only few employees that you as a guest happen to encounter.
    3. We want to make sure that every single guest receives same wonderful service during the stay and no one is singled out because they may not be able to tip.
    The best way to “tip”?
    Fill the comment card, let us know where we are doing great, where we need to improve because we want to welcome you back next year!
    And when you come back…everyone gets their tip"

Forgot to mention the airport lounge people are couples employees too so no tipping there .

Thank you all for your responses! It really does clear things up!

Something to consider. No tipping means no tipping. If a Couples employee gets caught accepting a tip, they can get fired. How would you like feeling that you were responsible for getting a Couples employee fired?

If you insist on tipping, the employee will sometimes accept the tip just to be polite. But then they will usually report this to their manager and give the tip to them. They don't get the tip anyway. I'm thinking that working for Couples is a pretty good gig in Jamaica and they won't jeopardize their job by accepting tips.

Love the #2 reason in the policy. Our biggest shock was learning (during our repeaters dinner) that the guest to employee ratio is almost 1:1!! So I'm VERY glad Couples looks out for all of them, and not just the ones with which we get to interact.

I will definitely NOT be tipping! I don't want any awkwardness and I really just want to abide by the rules! I really appreciate all of your comments to my question!

Quote Originally Posted by softail19 View Post
    Really there's no tipping except the airport porters, shuttle bus drivers and spa ladies. Just past the customs area is a hallway, take a left and you'll see the lounge. Very easy to find.
    Don't forget to bring tip money for the catamaran crew on the sunset cruise from CSA and CN. They are not Couples' employees. Also, any off site tours you book are done by private operators and not Couples employees.

Quote Originally Posted by rckbert View Post
    Don't forget to bring tip money for the catamaran crew on the sunset cruise from CSA and CN. They are not Couples' employees. Also, any off site tours you book are done by private operators and not Couples employees.
    Yes you are so right!