Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default Couples Resorts Management Tipping Note

Hi All, please note below regarding the tipping policy at Couples Resorts

We receive a lot of comments and inquiries about tipping.
    There are 3 good reasons why we have NO tipping policy at the hotel.

1. You already paid the tip. A portion of the room rate you are paying is set for gratuity.
    The employees are paid salary then an additional gratuity amount is added to their paycheck.
    2. Per above, everyone gets something - not only few employees that you as a guest happen to encounter.
    3. We want to make sure that every single guest receives same wonderful service during the stay and no one is singled out because they may not be able to tip.
    The best way to “tip”?
    Fill the comment card, let us know where we are doing great, where we need to improve because we want to welcome you back next year!
    And when you come back…everyone gets their tip
    Michelle Gordon
    ------------------
    On-Island Social Media Coordinator
    Couples Resorts

Thanks for clarification, now I wish and hope guests abide by the rules. Other guests I've encountered don't believe there is a program for all the employees. I'm glad you spelled it out for everyone. It should be introduced at checkin also.

Michelle:

Thanks for the clarification. I love couples and it's only 5 weeks until my 8th visit. There is one thing about tipping that I wish could be fixed. I go to couples for the stress reduction. I can go to a restaurant at couples and not have to worry about whether entree A is worth $5 more than entree B. I can just have what ever sounds good on a particular evening. For almost the entire visit I can put my wallet in the safe and not think about it.

There is one exception to this and this is the spa. My wife goes there a lot and go a couple times. But we have to take cash. It's the only place on the property where you need cash. There two possible solutions To this:

1. You could allow customers to charge a tip to there account so they won't need cash.

2. You could raise spa rates by 20 percent and ban tipping at the spa.

I'd prefer option 2, but either would be better than the current system.

John Hansen

I am in total agreement. This would have saved our embarrassment when my husband and I went to the spa and did not tip because we thought it was not allowed. Only to realize later we had made a mistake. After realizing this we now take our cash with us and tip appropriately. It would be most welcomed to have the tip included in the price. I am sure we are not the only ones who have made this mistake.
    Julie & Ric (Rhode Island)
    COR 1998, 2000, CN 2008, 2009, CSA 2013, CSA 2014, CTI 2015, CSS 2015, CSA 2016

Quote Originally Posted by softail19 View Post
    . It should be introduced at checkin also.
    Agreed. All the yokels with their Bubba Kegs sliding a dollar openly across the bar...ugh.

Bubba Kegs LOL gotta love em!! I agree the policy should be spelled out at check in.
    Quote Originally Posted by KrisJamie View Post
    Agreed. All the yokels with their Bubba Kegs sliding a dollar openly across the bar...ugh.

Agree!!!

This is one of the things we love about Couples Resorts. We put the wallet in the safe and don't worry about packing small bills around for tips. I always make sure to make a special note on the comment card about outstanding staff members.

Does this no tipping policy also apply to the Spa?

10. Default

Thanks for clarification, now I wish and hope guests abide by the rules. Other guests I've encountered don't believe there is a program for all the employees. I'm glad you spelled it out for everyone. It should be introduced at checkin also.

htc-one-m9.com

You are allowed to tip at the spa...please tip the same as you would back home! Tips must be in cash...you cannot charge it to your room.

Default Spa Tips

Quote Originally Posted by Suzi View Post
    You are allowed to tip at the spa...please tip the same as you would back home! Tips must be in cash...you cannot charge it to your room.
    When tipping in the spa, can you use US dollars or do you need to use Jamaican currency?

Softail, I've said this on every comment card!! It needs to be mentioned to EVERY SINGLE GUEST at check in, regardless if it's their first trip or fifty first.

It should also be on the little "desk" below the mirror/above the mini bar in every guest room.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzi View Post
    Softail, I've said this on every comment card!! It needs to be mentioned to EVERY SINGLE GUEST at check in, regardless if it's their first trip or fifty first.

It should also be on the little "desk" below the mirror/above the mini bar in every guest room.
    Couldn't agree more Suzi

Totally agree softail; maybe they could explain the non tipping policy at check in for couples who haven't found this MB.

I think a copy of this should be handed to every couple upon check in. Maybe too, though I'm not quite sure how, explain what could happen if a tip is seen being accepted. We constantly see on the boards, "I know we can't tip, but I did anyway". Not good.

I think maybe it should be mentioned, too. We've seen it happen more than once on each of our last 2 trips. Maybe it should also be reiterated to the staff as well. If approched with a "tipper" they could very easily explain it is not acceptable, and NOT accept it.
    Ronda and Doug
    COR Dec. 2007
    CTI Dec. 2009
    CSS Dec. 2008, Dec. 2012, Dec. 2014
    CN Dec. 2011, Dec. 2013

Default No Tipping Should Mean Just That All Around

Quote Originally Posted by redy4vac View Post
    I think maybe it should be mentioned, too. We've seen it happen more than once on each of our last 2 trips. Maybe it should also be reiterated to the staff as well. If approched with a "tipper" they could very easily explain it is not acceptable, and NOT accept it.
    I wrote in a previous post that this policy should be printed and given to the guests, along with their room keys, when they check in.

Some people on the board seem not to understand that this is a Couples rule (policy) and they waste precious time arguing for being allowed to violate the rule.

On the other hand, when we were at CTI recently we saw the van driver to Dunns River Falls accepting tips surreptitiously; while another worker accepted on another occasion. The Couples management needs to remind its staff very forcefully about accepting these tips when offered.

Tipping goes on all the time. The guests who slip a few bucks to the staff receive exponentially better treatment. The look and demeanor of some of the bartenders is subtle yet unmistakable. I've watched servers turn into guests' BFF's after a quick flash of the green while the rest get a faraway look when ordering a drink or asking for suggestions on the best cocktails... This is a fact of life.

Quote Originally Posted by clydealp View Post
    I wrote in a previous post that this policy should be printed and given to the guests, along with their room keys, when they check in.

Some people on the board seem not to understand that this is a Couples rule (policy) and they waste precious time arguing for being allowed to violate the rule.

On the other hand, when we were at CTI recently we saw the van driver to Dunns River Falls accepting tips surreptitiously; while another worker accepted on another occasion. The Couples management needs to remind its staff very forcefully about accepting these tips when offered.
    The van drivers can accept tips.

Quote Originally Posted by softail19 View Post
    The van drivers can accept tips.
    Yep. There a couple small distinctions and they mainly concern transportation. The drivers are not employees of couples and dont fall under the no tipping policy. The spa is the same.

Ms. Michelle,

This cannot be made any more simple. I loved completing the comment cards, as well as giving random shout-outs through the websites letting the world know how happy we were when we stayed at CSA.

If the point isn't taken, maybe they do not respect the Couples philosophy.

Cheers!

Thanks Michelle for the post. The no tipping policy is also one of the things we love about Couples. I think it is great to not carry my wallet around. I agree with the posters above about explaining the policy at check in. Some people don't know there is no tipping. I have read many reviews on TA and people say they tip and it bothers me. I know that there will always be some that will tip because they always have and it comes naturally. We have never felt like we were given poor service or that we needed to. I would feel terrible if any employee lost their job because of a couple of dollars. As you know jobs are hard to find in Jamaica. Respect

I have seen staff turn down tips all the time....sometimes the guest is insistent. So as to not offend the guest, I saw the staff member simply set it aside and then give it to their manager so they don't get into trouble. I think that is a classy way for the staff to handle the situation.

Spa is not operated by Couples and can accept tips. I don't mind just bringing a $10 or $20 for my service. Lot easier than carrying around a bunch of singles like we did in Mexico.

Also...I appreciated that the gift policy was clarified a bit more on Facebook as well. I like the compromise of being able to give a gift as long as I am sure that staff member gets to keep it. I try and make it specific to the staff member so this is extremely important to me.
    Holly Irvin

Thank you for posting this! We absolutely love Couples and love that we don't need to carry around money and tip every time we get food or drinks. We have been going to Couples for 9 years and every year it seems like more and more people insist on tipping. Part of it being they didn't know and part of it is just arrogance of guests insisting on doing it because they don't respect Couples rule on tipping.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast