Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thank you for your reply

I'm still not sure about currency outside of the resort, do I use Jamaican or US $?

U.S. $ seems to be the preferred currency. Generally any store you go into will have the posted prices in U.S $.

USD is preferred outside of the resort for shopping and such.
    Lynn & Craig, Delaware
    CN 2000,2010,2015
    CTI 2009,2011,2015
    CSA 2012 & 2013

Quote Originally Posted by IrieNewf View Post
    U.S. $ seems to be the preferred currency. Generally any store you go into will have the posted prices in U.S $.
    This past April I saw a man give the porter at the airport a $50 Jamaican tip. The porter said, "excuse me, sir, but this is less than 50 cents American." I'm not certain if it was an honest mistake or not, but the guy quickly dug into his pocket and gave the porter a couple of dollars U.S. currency. The thing I like best about using U.S. currency is that I know what I am spending without thinking about it. And in reply to OurManInVanc, everybody takes American currency. (if I understand your name correctly and you are from Vancouver, I know nothing of Canadian currency...other than the fact that I have some that I am too lazy to exchange ).

Quote Originally Posted by IrieNewf View Post
    If you go into local stores and not those just geared towards tourists the prices will,of course, be in Jamaican not US. And I"m not sure if US is really the preferred currency to receive. Keep in mind that they then have to take the time out of their day to exchange to local currency.

I have found all of the comments very interesting. What I an amzed at is that this past month at CTI when discussing the tipping policy with some repeaters the statement was made "we are going to tip any way."
    I can honestly say that since our first trip in 1978 we have bever tipped and have always received the best in service and comraderie.

I think this discussion has been going on since we started going to CN, lo these many years ago.

One of the past resort managers gave me the best explanation of the no tipping policy.

Imagine you are at a stage play and tipped all the actors. Those folks behind the scenes that make the show actually work, never get tipped from guests. Imagine how you would feel knowing that those "on stage" were the only ones who were tipped. I'm kind of hard to get through to sometimes, but even I understood the analogy.

Please don't tip except at the spa......ESPECIALLY MILLICENT, who gives the best massages!!

We ran into the same same attitudes as jgsaks in July and saw people openly tip and staff openly accept. This was the first time in 8 trips we've seen this and the first time we felt like maybe service wasn't what it used to be.

On our Couples vacation a few months ago we were quietly presented with a small token gift by a server. The impression we received was that the server was fishing for a tip. Hopefully we were wrong and it was just an extremely nice gesture. We had only 1 or 2 brief conversations with him so that is why we were surprised. We respected the rules and did not tip but did include the names of the most exceptional staff on our comment card. It would be nice if the employees all respected the company rules and declined all tips.

I specifically chose this resort based on the no tipping policy. My husband and I stayed at resort which allowed tipping. Our last trip to an all-inclusive was a big pain as far as tipping. We vowed to only visit resorts with a strict no tipping policy going forward. We are not cheap people but tipping everyone, and I do mean everyone, got old real fast.

S has a strict no tipping policy and I never felt pressured to do so. I chose to stay at Couples based on recommendations and reviews. Couples Swept Away is more expensive than our S vacation. If I made a mistake, I'm going to be really disappointed.

We did not tip at CSS and the service was fantastic. We never felt even once that we were overlooked for another guest that tipped. I do think Couples should keep working with their employees to discourage accepting tips but it must be difficult to turn down a tip when you have so little compared to us. Hopefully most guests will follow the policy and not tip.

thanks a lot for all the replies. We are going to bring cash for the spa and leave the rest tucked away. I feel so much relief knowing we do not need to tip

Guests need to be advised of the policy at check in. Verbally. Most people don't read the papers handed to them. It should also be said o the orientation tour. It should also be mentioned in reservation confirmations. As we stated to Senior Management in our conversation with them this morning prior to departure, in my 9 visits and husband's over 30 visits, we've never been told. It should be told EVERY time, regardless if staff has seen the guests dozens of times. Heck, maybe even have the bellman reiterate it as they're explaining the resort amenities on the walk to their room!

For those who say, "we are going to tip anyway", do you want to be responsible for an employee losing their job? That's the policy! Do you also smoke in your room, walk naked into The Palms for breakfast, or bring your children and pets to the resort? A property's policies are just that. RESPECT!

I am very happy to see that people are at least seeing this forum. I went to CN last year for my wife and I's wedding and we did abide by the "No-Tipping" policy these resorts have. Except in the Spa were my wife tipped because of their superb work they did on her hair and message before the wedding. Even though we did see some people tip, we was never passed up on the great service CN offers! The staff was simply amazing and make you feel part of their family. My wife and I are going to CSS in less then 2 weeks and cannot wait to be back with everyone!!!

nice suggestion about tipping. But If i give someone tip then will that be considered illegal?

What I don't understand is why the Couples "No Tipping" policy is so difficult to understand. Maybe people think this policy is for the other person.
    Jack and Kathy
    CSA 2007, 2010, and 2016. CTI 2012, 2014. CN 2016 (Trading Places only), 2018, 2020. 2023?

Quote Originally Posted by lucyamber View Post
    nice suggestion about tipping. But If i give someone tip then will that be considered illegal?
    It's not against the law.
    It is against policy.
    It does lack class.
    It does put the employees at risk.

We just returned from CN. Had a great time. BUT we did find a undercurrent of certain employees where it felt like they were sorta "working" us for a tip - especially as the week progressed. Even when they really weren't doing anything directly for us - had one particular person who was constantly where we were and wanting to talk. We brushed it off at first but the more it happened - it became obvious. Other people staying there were tipping and it seems as if it is understood by some of the workers at least that tipping is the norm. Now that we have reflected on the week - we noticed the level of service by all the staff waned off toward the end of the week - we just wonder if word on the street was that we weren't tipping.... who knows???? People constantly asking when you're leaving and telling us their schedules... I don't know - just a lot of coincidences maybe... or maybe not.

We just returned from CN, and the policy is legit. As we were leaving, the porters came to collect our bags. One was quite heavy and I instinctively handed him a $20. It was politely refused with a smile. What a wonderful place, this Couples Negril. In so many ways, but the staff was most certainly a large part. Our piano man, Paul and our servers Denver and Marlon and our bartenders Ceilia, Amay and Kevin (such a great kid) to "J" our smart aleck glass bottom boat guide. We cannot wait to come back.

No Tipping Policy is one of the best thing your manager decided..

Quote Originally Posted by AandBfromMinnesota View Post
    ...to "J" our smart aleck glass bottom boat guide. We cannot wait to come back.
    Could that be our friend Jovane? (sometimes referred to as Bubbliscious) He is a great guy who we look forward to reconnecting with each year. Last year we took the private sunset cruise and specifically requested that Jovane be with us. We always have Jovane record a short video postcard that we send home to our next door neighbor Nick (now 11...maybe 9 when started doing it). Here is Jovane in 3 takes trying to say he would visit our dogs Phoenix & Rosebud plus Nick. (he cracks me up):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e38vSQAE56A
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuK04VUMvek
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftMdcqhHNYE

Sunset cruise with Jovane is now on our "must do" list every year.
    Last edited by Bert; November 25th, 2015 at 11:06 AM.

That's great!

Quote Originally Posted by clydealp View Post
    I wrote in a previous post that this policy should be printed and given to the guests, along with their room keys, when they check in.

Some people on the board seem not to understand that this is a Couples rule (policy) and they waste precious time arguing for being allowed to violate the rule.

On the other hand, when we were at CTI recently we saw the van driver to Dunns River Falls accepting tips surreptitiously; while another worker accepted on another occasion. The Couples management needs to remind its staff very forcefully about accepting these tips when offered.
    The van drivers can accept tips.

Keep in mind, when you are out and about, the exchange rate is currently $121.6 Jamaican to 1.oo US. . . .Yes you read that correctly One Hundred twenty one to One. . .

Quote Originally Posted by softail19 View Post
    The van drivers can accept tips.
    Yep. There a couple small distinctions and they mainly concern transportation. The drivers are not employees of couples and dont fall under the no tipping policy. The spa is the same.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast