Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Please adhere to the no tipping policy. It may make you feel better giving a tip, but you will feel so much worse if that tip gets yor favorite staff member fired.

Quote Originally Posted by JakkL View Post
    Please adhere to the no tipping policy. It may make you feel better giving a tip, but you will feel so much worse if that tip gets yor favorite staff member fired.
    Not to sound too harsh, but maybe if one or two employees were actually fired for taking tips, the others would start refusing! Several people have suggested not to tip or employees may be fired, but does anyone know for a fact that an employee has ever been fired from Couples for this?
    PS We didn't tip and love that about Couples.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlove View Post
    Not to sound too harsh, but maybe if one or two employees were actually fired for taking tips, the others would start refusing! Several people have suggested not to tip or employees may be fired, but does anyone know for a fact that an employee has ever been fired from Couples for this?
    PS We didn't tip and love that about Couples.

I do know of some past employees that were fired because of the tipping policy and one for trying to get guests to use her friends for excursions off property. Just because you see the employee accepting the tip does not mean they are keeping it. It is my understanding that they are not allowed to offend the guest so they give the tip to the managers.
    Holly Irvin

Jane & I know several employees who have been fired because of policy infractions that included taking tips.

Quote Originally Posted by hillystyles View Post
    I do know of some past employees that were fired because of the tipping policy and one for trying to get guests to use her friends for excursions off property. Just because you see the employee accepting the tip does not mean they are keeping it. It is my understanding that they are not allowed to offend the guest so they give the tip to the managers.
    That doesn't make any sense to me. How would it be offensive to say, "No thank you. At Couples we have a no tipping policy." -- rather than let the guests believe that the tip is being accepted?

In January, we actually saw an employee turning down a tip. However, we saw a lot of money going over the beach bars. I like the suggestion to put a note in the check-in folder to remind guests not to tip. Those of us who adhere to the rules end up looking like the cheapskates with all the tipping going on, and we were actually asked for a tip by one employee last month. We declined. I love not having to carry my money around to tip everyone; it's one of the things that makes my vacation stress-free. I am a good tipper in general, and at first it was hard not to feel like I needed to tip, but I very much appreciate the policy; I also feel better knowing that I've "paid it forward" when I purchased my trip since there was a portion included in the cost set aside for the gratuity pool, so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by Leeza14 View Post
    In January, we actually saw an employee turning down a tip. However, we saw a lot of money going over the beach bars. I like the suggestion to put a note in the check-in folder to remind guests not to tip. Those of us who adhere to the rules end up looking like the cheapskates with all the tipping going on, and we were actually asked for a tip by one employee last month. We declined. I love not having to carry my money around to tip everyone; it's one of the things that makes my vacation stress-free. I am a good tipper in general, and at first it was hard not to feel like I needed to tip, but I very much appreciate the policy; I also feel better knowing that I've "paid it forward" when I purchased my trip since there was a portion included in the cost set aside for the gratuity pool, so to speak.
    Great comments, we feel the same way exactly!

We were Couples virgins last fall and read all about the tipping policy - and followed it. Until we were packing up to leave. We had just enjoyed the most amazing week of our lives, and had one very large bag. The porters came to our top floor room to take our bags and I felt "What's the harm?" and quietly held out a crisp $20 in the privacy of our room. He smiled and immediately refused it, saying "It's included, man. Thank you for staying with us."

We just booked our second trip to Couples Negril.

Quote Originally Posted by AandBfromMinnesota View Post
    We were Couples virgins last fall and read all about the tipping policy - and followed it. Until we were packing up to leave. We had just enjoyed the most amazing week of our lives, and had one very large bag. The porters came to our top floor room to take our bags and I felt "What's the harm?" and quietly held out a crisp $20 in the privacy of our room. He smiled and immediately refused it, saying "It's included, man. Thank you for staying with us."
    The "harm" is someone losing their job. Good for him, though!
    Quote Originally Posted by AandBfromMinnesota View Post

We just booked our second trip to Couples Negril.
    ...and no tipping attempts, right?

Softail, I've said this on every comment card!! It needs to be mentioned to EVERY SINGLE GUEST at check in, regardless if it's their first trip or fifty first.

It should also be on the little "desk" below the mirror/above the mini bar in every guest room.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzi View Post
    Softail, I've said this on every comment card!! It needs to be mentioned to EVERY SINGLE GUEST at check in, regardless if it's their first trip or fifty first.

It should also be on the little "desk" below the mirror/above the mini bar in every guest room.
    Couldn't agree more Suzi

You are allowed to tip at the spa...please tip the same as you would back home! Tips must be in cash...you cannot charge it to your room.

I find this very interesting
    I had previously posted a comment on how I saw a few people tipping when we were at css in april
    now i see the comment has been deleted
    guess you are only allowed to comment on positive things

we were at CSS in early June and saw more tipping than we ever have. (still not rampant, but half a dozen times). I agree it should be emphasized at check-in. If it was allowed, we would do it all day to all the fantastic staff.

We were at CSA for our first time in late May and have 12 previous AI trips to Mexico under our belts where tipping is allowed and encouraged. It was uncomfortable for us not to tip but the only reason I knew not to is because of the FB fan pages and this message board. I know it says it on the main website but so do most AI resort websites. If your only AI experience is to a resort where it is allowed then I understand the confusion. Some friends came with us and weren't aware of this rule (or informed of it at check-in). They tipped a few times and all tips were gladly accepted...until we told them they shouldn't. We still witnessed several guests tip and employees take them. Some were sly about it while others did it out in the open. It was frustrating because we enjoy tipping but don't break rules. Some of the guests on the beach who were very obviously tipping got their drink orders first, there were zero doubts. Service was still great but the entire policy seems to have an identity crisis.

Bumping this up to the top based on current comments on Facebook.

Can someone confirm if and how we can give a small gift to our housekeeper? We will be at CSA at Christmas and always like to get our maid a small (non cash) gift when we are on holiday over Christmas. I've read we should label it clearly, but is it correct we have to give it to management and cannot leave it in our room for her? Thanks (5 sleeps to go!)

This is one of the reasons we came to Couples. I love that you are not expected to tip. I know we are paying a little more to go to this resort but everything you want is there and I'm not expected to hand money over all the time. I can just enjoy the experience and not have to worry about any of that. We went to Mexico on our honeymoon and couldn't believe how much they expect you to tip and how much they will hound you to buy something on the street. Once we were on our way to a restaurant in Mexico and someone tried selling my husband an exotic bird. We went to Couples Negril for our anniversary and this time we are going to Tower Isle. I can't wait.

My understanding is:

You can leave it in the room but you need to leave a note with it signed and making it clear you are leaving it as a gift.

She can then show the note to security in order to keep the gift.

If unsure check with one of the managers and they will be able to advise.

Leave a note with your name and room number on it. State that it's a gift if you want.

Just got back from CN last week and know quite a few guests who tipped, and a couple staff who sort of hinted at wanting a tip. I told some people not to tip, while standing there watching others do so. I know it's the American way, but........

Duane & Mary

There are a couple of recent reviews on TripAdvisor about tipping beach attendants to reserve chairs. I'm brought it up to management that the resort porters have always hung around waiting for a tip and have heard nothing about a resolution.

When we went there was only one person kind of hinting for tip. And did that to a few other couples. He was reported from another couple (we just wondered what the heck is this guy standing staring at us for, did not occur tip part at the time until chatting with other couples there), and we did not see the employee on the resort after being reported. That was just back July '16, so seem like Couples takes the policy seriously.
    Jason (mbjnt) and Heather (hetoepfer82)
    Sans Souci 2016, (July 2017)

Default Spa Tips

Quote Originally Posted by Suzi View Post
    You are allowed to tip at the spa...please tip the same as you would back home! Tips must be in cash...you cannot charge it to your room.
    When tipping in the spa, can you use US dollars or do you need to use Jamaican currency?

Quote Originally Posted by wstoller View Post
    When tipping in the spa, can you use US dollars or do you need to use Jamaican currency?
    USD ok (preferred maybe?)
    Best part of USD is that you know exactly what you are doing, no need for math.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast