Default Thefts From Hotel Safes/Rooms? You Can Place An External Lock On Your In-Room Safe

There is a current thread from a couple, who stayed at CSA recently, about them, while enjoying their vacation, being peeved that money was stolen from their room (they did not say if it was removed from the room safe) and of CSA doing nothing about it.

Thefts from hotel safes and rooms are commonplace around the world. The majority of hotel guests have not had such issues; but, unfortunately, such events may ruin the minority's vacations.

That having been said, I witnessed an instance at another hotel in Jamaica years ago where a guest could not find his money and accused the hotel staff of theft. The room maid was visibly upset at being accused of stealing. The room had no safe.

The money was found in the room after a search; however, I cannot recall whether the relieved guest admitted to placing it where it was found and forgetting that he had hidden it there, or whether he had not placed it there, implying that someone (the room maid?) had placed it in that spot only to retrieve it after he had checked out.

Now, there is a solution:

See this link: https://www.corporatetravelsafety.co...safe-lock.html

It is for a Milockie Safe Lock that lets you lock your own hotel- or home safe with an external combination padlock after you have set the safe's combination.

The lock supplied with the Milockie Safe Lock is for demonstration purposes and will need to be changed to a more sturdy four-digit combination lock.

Anyone wanting to get into your safe will literally have to damage your Milockie external lock (which will take time and effort).

Despite reviews you may come across from people who, apparently, have no experience with using the lock, this is your best safe insurance available at this time against thefts from hotel safes.

Remember that all safes have override codes which people at the hotel will know in order to assist guests who cannot remember their codes, or who have locked their safes on checkout.

I purchased my Milockie Safe Lock from Amazon in 2011 and have used it on ships' safes on two cruises; and on hotel safes on three vacations, including CTI last month.

I never had to worry once my Milockie was installed.

It costs about US$70 and there is none other on the market.

[B]Remember: you must change the combination lock supplied for a more sturdy four-digit one.[B]
    Last edited by clydealp; November 27th, 2014 at 11:05 AM. Reason: To change URI in post.

Thanks for the info, I bought one

The safes at CN do not avail themselves to an external lock.

In 3 trips we have never had anything disturbed, be it in the safe or in the room.

One night I left the safe unlocked when we went to dinner.

Came back, turndown service has come, nothing disturbed or missing.
    CN, Oct 2012, CN May 2013, CN Dec 2013, CN Dec 2014, CN Dec 2015, CN Dec 2016, CN Dec 2017, CN Dec Dec 2018, CN Dec 2019 (COIVD Cancelled 2020) Booked CN Dec 2021

Here is a maybe better idea for $26: http://www.amazon.com/Small-Portable...le+travel+safe
    <font size=2>
    CN 2006, CSS 2009, CN 2009, CN 2010, CTI 2010, CN 2011, CSS 2012, CN 2012, CN 2013, CSA 2014, CN 2014, CSA 2015, CN 2015, CN 2016, CN 2018, CN2019

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffnCheri View Post
    The safes at CN do not avail themselves to an external lock.
    The instructions will tell you how the lock is to be installed; it will not be in the conventional way that external locks are placed.

The Milockie Safe Lock can be installed at the top, bottom or side (opposite to the hinges) of the hotel safe, depending on how the safe is positioned. No adjustments to the safes are required; and one does not interfere with the safes. No marks are left, so that there is no defacing of the hotel's property.

The safes on two ships we cruised were placed quite awkwardly, but I managed to get my Milockie Safe Lock into position.

I was happy that the safe at CTI was more than adequate for our passport and ticket cases, wallets and all the other things we wanted to have in a safe.

By the way: research shows that not every one is lucky to escape hotel thefts. For such not being your experience, you must be congratulated.

By the way: I am not a salesman for Milockie; just passing our experience on.

I have changed the URL in my original post to one that tells more about the lock and about thefts from hotel safes.

In more than 30 trips to Couples since 1982, including 20+ to CSA, I have never had anything taken from my room nor heard first-hand of anyone having something taken from their room. That having been said, I lock our passports and wallets in the room safe, but I leave my laptop, bluetooth speakers, camera, etc. sitting out by the bed. Of course, someone could come in and carry out the entire safe, but I think they'd be noticed.

I don't know where all this paranoia comes from. The housekeeping staff are vetted by Couples. They are both proud and fortunate to have their jobs and would not risk them for a small amount of cash or an iPad. This is not Mexico or the DR, where theft from hotel rooms seems to be commonplace. This is Jamaica.
    Ricky Ginsburg
    On the web, always open

Boca Raton, Florida
    (just a 75 minute plane flight from paradise)

From reading other travel sites, many thefts from hotel rooms are actually other guests or people wandering through the hotel while the rooms are being cleaned. I don't think this would be as big a problem at Couples (as opposed to a lower end hotel in Italy or England) because my 3 year old iPhone and laptop wouldn't be as attractive to other guests and it is harder for random outsiders to wander the grounds. My husband and I have never had a problem leaving our tech out in the rooms in the 15 years we have been going to Couples. We do lock our passports and wallets/cash in the safe, but that is as much to keep from losing/forgetting them as it is to prevent theft.

Other than cash, I don't put anything in the safe at CSA! Every day my iPhone (unless I'm shooting photos), iPad, camera etc sit out in plain sight in the room! Oh!! The staff DOES take something from our room...the candy we put out for them every morning. With a note for them. Lighten up, folks...what Fawnridge said hits the nail on the head. Your few hundred dollars or camera aren't worth their jobs! Did you ever notice how many people have worked at these resorts for many years? Respect. Please.

[QUOTE=clydealp;256287]There is a current thread from a couple, who stayed at CSA recently, about them, while enjoying their vacation, being peeved that money was stolen from their room (they did not say if it was removed from the room safe) and of CSA doing nothing about it.

Thefts from hotel safes and rooms are commonplace around the world. The majority of hotel guests have not had such issues; but, unfortunately, such events may ruin the minority's vacations.

That having been said, I witnessed an instance at another hotel in Jamaica years ago where a guest could not find his money and accused the hotel staff of theft. The room maid was visibly upset at being accused of stealing. The room had no safe.

The money was found in the room after a search; however, I cannot recall whether the relieved guest admitted to placing it where it was found and forgetting that he had hidden it there, or whether he had not placed it there, implying that someone (the room maid?) had placed it in that spot only to retrieve it after he had checked out.

This alleged theft at CSA was of cash that most definitely not left in the room safe. The review stated, "We had money stolen from our room (that was inside a wallet, inside a purse, inside a bad, inside a carry on bag)..." It's a mystery why one would not put valuables in the safe. The second mystery is why one would expect a resort to be responsible for valuables they claim to have left in the room, not in the safe, when a safe is provided. We have had 5 stays at CSA and numerous more at other resorts that have room safes. Our valuables are the first items unpacked into the safe and the last items packed up before we leave.

We have always left our valuables in the safe and have never had a single item stolen or worried for a minute about it. I do often read on TripAdvisor about cash being stolen out or room safes. It is usually hundreds of dollars and always a round number ending in exactly two or three zeros. I'm not saying it never happens, but I've certainly become a skeptic.

http://www.amazon.com/Small-Portable...le+travel+safe

I'd buy one of these and put it in the safe. when I traveled a lot for work, I'd carry a small flat screwdriver, take whatever extra cash I had, remove the wallplate from a light switch, roll the bills up with an elastic band and put them inside the switch box.