Default How old are the 4 Couples Resorts?

The first one - Couples Jamaica, now Couples Tower Isle - has been around since 1978, according to the History link on the Couples website. My first visit was August 1982. But which came next? How old are the four properties? Anyone know?
    Ricky Ginsburg
    On the web, always open

Boca Raton, Florida
    (just a 75 minute plane flight from paradise)

Fawn,
    If you are talking about how long each resort has been a Couples, then yes, Tower Isle was the first, back in 1978 and named at that time Couples Ocho Rios. If you are talking about age of the actual resorts, then Tower Isle was built back in 1948, simply known as "Tower Isle". The newest property to the Couples family of resorts, Sans Souci, as actually the second oldest, built back in the late 60's as a condominium resort.
    Sorry but I don't know much about CN's or CSA's, but they did celebrate their 16th anniversary as a Couples resort not long ago. Maybe someone can chime in about both the Negril properties.

Someone will know for sure but I believe they came in this order

Negril
    Swept Away
    Sans Souci

Don't know the years, sorry. I do know that Swept Away & Sans Souci were both existing resorts when taken over by Couples, not sure about Negril.

Couples Negril opened in the later part of 1998; it was new construction and not the acquisition of an already-existing property. Our first stay there was in March of 1999. Swept Away opened around that time (I think); it wasn't a Couples resort but was an all-inclusive, adults-only resort. I don't know when CSS opened. When we were planning our first stay at Couples (CTI in 1998), we considered the CSS property, which was Grand Lido Sans Souci at that time and part of the Super Clubs chain.

I believe couples took over San Souci in late 2005. Only reason I remember this is we took our first trip to a Couples resort in Feb.2005 and that was CSA. We loved CSA and we loved Jamaica. Decided to try the other side and booked San Souci. Was not a Couples resort when we booked but about a week later couples took over. We were so happy. When we went there were a few disgruntled clients regarding the change but we were so happy.
    We have been to Couples every year since but to CSA or Negril. Just prefer the Negril side.

Sans Souci was celebrating it's 3rd anniversary (as a Couples property) when we were there in 2009.
    <font size=2>
    CN 2006, CSS 2009, CN 2009, CN 2010, CTI 2010, CN 2011, CSS 2012, CN 2012, CN 2013, CSA 2014, CN 2014, CSA 2015, CN 2015, CN 2016, CN 2018, CN2019

My first trip to CSA must have been in 1999, the year after I moved to Florida, and the resort had just come on my travel agent's radar. I'd been going to Couples Ocho Rios, which was originally Couples Jamaica and is now Couples Tower Isle for all the years before that. I first went to Couples San Souci the year Couples took it over, but I don't remember what year that was.
    Ricky Ginsburg
    On the web, always open

Boca Raton, Florida

The first time we went to Swept Away was in august of 1994 for our 25th anniversary. At that time it wasn't owned by Couples and only about 2 years old. Only the older side rooms were available and the Bamboo Bar was at the end of the property. Feathers was located across the road and it was much more elegant than it is now. Gentleman had to wear a jacket and tie and ladies had to wear nice dresses.

Our first was GL in 1996. They had the "MY ZEN" 125 foot yacht that Aristotle Onansis had given to Prince Ranier and Princess Grace for their wedding present. It was awesome and all included. You got the sunset cruse aboard. Get a bit dressed up for that one.

GL was often on many top ten lists and in 1999 when we were booking another trip, the prices had gotten out of hand for the resort so we instead booked CN as it was right next door and we thought that beach was just amazing. We enjoyed it very much. I recall Swept Away marketed itself as a more "Healthy" type resort which appeals to us now.

It would be 15 years before we'd be back but this time to CSA last year and again just last week.

I don't know when we'll be back. We did not book another trip. Its not that was did not have an amazing time, we just don't think that far in advance.

Found this posted in the gleamer a few years ago...Doesn't say when Couples purchased Sans Souci but I'm pretty sure it was within the last 10 years.

The group's four resorts are located on the beaches of the north coast in Negril and Ocho Rios. They include Couples Swept Away, Negril built in 1990 by Elias Issa with over 25 acres and 140 rooms, and expanded in 2006 to 312 rooms. Couples Negril, which was built on over 17 acres of beachfront property, opened in 1998.

The other two hotels located in Ocho Rios are Tower Isle, the first resort built by Abe Issa in 1949 on 24 acres of beachfront; and Couples Sans Souci, first built in 1950 and later expanded in a series of phases to 150 rooms. The property expands over 35 acres of beach front, with 22 still available for future expansion.

Blog Entries

Hi All,

Let me know if I'm wrong.... I am responding to thread based on resorts under Couples Resorts- CN and CSA are both 16 years, CSS 9 and CTI 36...Anniversaries for Ocho Rios resorts will be held in January 2015. If its when all resorts were first built thht you require feel free to let me know.
    Michelle Gordon
    ------------------
    On-Island Social Media Coordinator
    Couples Resorts

I believe this Ulti told me that Swept Away opened in 1991... as part of a discussion about how many original staff were still on property (and yes, Ulti is one of very few). Of course, it was built and originally operated as Lee Issa's first built-from-the-ground-up property, and his company would go on to purchase Couples as we know it today.

Quote Originally Posted by MichelleG 'Island Girl' View Post
    Hi All,

Let me know if I'm wrong.... I am responding to thread based on resorts under Couples Resorts- CN and CSA are both 16 years, CSS 9 and CTI 36...Anniversaries for Ocho Rios resorts will be held in January 2015. If it's when all resorts were first built that you require feel free to let me know.
    Responding to let you know you are right. Thanks.
    Ricky Ginsburg
    On the web, always open

Boca Raton, Florida

San Souchi was built as an apartment or timeshare resort (accounts differ) in 1948 or 1949. It became Grand Lido San Sochi in the early 1990s. There was about six months between the end of Grand Lido San Souchi and it becoming Couples San Souchi. It was called the "San Souchi Resort and Spa" during that brief interval.