Default What is the Couples Resort Official Smoking policy?

Rumors persist on social media that Couples resorts have gone to a full NO SMOKING policy on their properties.
    I as well as many others need clarification before we book our next rip. I am a cigar smoker and am very conscious when and where I smoke while on vacation.
    Clarification from management is a must on this question. If we arrive to find out myself, a travel agent of a rep from Couples mis understood the new rules I will be livid if I cannot enjoy a week under a fig tree, enjoying the beautiful sunset while imbibing in a fine cigar and scotch.

I hope you are conscious while smoking

Unless something has change since July, the only places you can't smoke are public covered areas, such as a swim up bar. On the beach under a fig tree would be fine.

WAIT...."UNDER" a fit tree???? Is that not "COVERED"????? LOL, just kidding...but seriously, by definition it is covered is is not?

no problem, mon!
    lol @ softail19

CSA 2009, 2014 [20th anniversary]
    CSS 2010
    CN 2011
    CTI 2017 [50th birthday & 23rd anniversary], 2019 [25th anniversary]

I just returned from CN 2 weeks ago and you just weren't able to smoke in covered areas such as the bars and restaurants. On the beach or your patio was fine. Ash trays are not prevalent, but you just ask the bartender for one and they will give you one. Your scotch, fig tree, and cigar await your return.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

I am a smoker also and I try to be considerate of others too. The bar areas and restaurants are off limits,but the beach and around the pool are fine. I am very conscious about not leaving butts behind and there are ash trays available.

I remembered seeing butt trays on the beach and by the recycle bins. We hadn't been back since that change and hubby seemed to think I was too uptight about the smoking! lol But, it's no problem, mon!

CSS 2010
    CN 2011

What is the policy on e-cigs? A few people were smoking these in the night club and my wife and I did not enjoy smelling there vapor.

We were at CSS 9/4-9/14 and had no problem having cigars in any open area; beach, pool, or our patio/balcony. They still give you the "free cigar" certificate from the gift shop in the welcome packet. No one in management or staff said a word about any outdoor smoking.
    Cigar Dude
    Smoke 'em if you got 'em!

My cigar blog: http://tinytimblog.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by doug&carrie View Post
    What is the policy on e-cigs? A few people were smoking these in the night club and my wife and I did not enjoy smelling there vapor.
    Covered under the laws, unfortunately. Being inconsiderate should be outlawed, IMO.

A new national law went into effect in August... island wide... prohibiting smoking in public places. These include, by the law's definition, restaurants, stores, hotel interiors (including rooms), and at any outdoor function that might include the attendance of children.

Jamaican law enforcement, including beach courtesy patrols are taking a "wait and see" approach to determine how best to enforce the law, including how stringent to define areas where smoking would be permitted, such as under the afore-mentioned fig tree on the beach. A similar thread at Travel Advisor indicates that beach areas are acceptable.

Resorts, bars and entertainment venues, however, are being proactive in defining those areas on their property fit into the acceptable use for smokers arena. I'm sure Couples is still feeling it's way through this. Understandably, some folks are going to be upset, disappointed, or worse... especially those who might feel blind-sided by this law, having booked early as many of us are prone to do.

I'm hoping that Couples comes forward with some official position on this, if they haven't done so yet, so that stake holders are aware of what's in store for them PRIOR to arrival. In the TA thread alluded to earlier, there was mention of an official policy statement, but as in all things related to that particular site, I'll wait till I see it here or on the main Couples site.

Interesting thing for me is that cigars don't bother me as much as cigarettes.

CSS 2010
    CN 2011

It would be nice to hear from someone official as to what Couples stance will be going forward. We were at the resort after the initial law was passed and it really had no impact to the Mrs as she never would have smoked in the dining areas, etc. If the beach becomes smoke free because children from a neighboring resort might walk by, that would seem excessive. Hopefully there will not be any significant change to the Couples policy and guest will still be able to respectfully enjoy their cigarettes or cigars on the resort property just not under any roofs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainecat View Post
    Rumors persist on social media that Couples resorts have gone to a full NO SMOKING policy on their properties.
    I as well as many others need clarification before we book our next rip. I am a cigar smoker and am very conscious when and where I smoke while on vacation.
    Clarification from management is a must on this question. If we arrive to find out myself, a travel agent of a rep from Couples mis understood the new rules I will be livid if I cannot enjoy a week under a fig tree, enjoying the beautiful sunset while imbibing in a fine cigar and scotch.
    I would also like to know what management says about this. We were just at CSS for 10 days and no one said a word about any of our (there were several of us) cigar smoking anywhere outside; beach, pools, balcony. If it goes to totally non-smoking that would change our future plans.
    Cigar Dude
    Smoke 'em if you got 'em!

My cigar blog: http://tinytimblog.blogspot.com/

Default Smoking At Couples

Quote Originally Posted by kurt and Angie View Post
    It would be nice to hear from someone official as to what Couples stance will be going forward. We were at the resort after the initial law was passed and it really had no impact to the Mrs as she never would have smoked in the dining areas, etc. If the beach becomes smoke free because children from a neighboring resort might walk by, that would seem excessive. Hopefully there will not be any significant change to the Couples policy and guest will still be able to respectfully enjoy their cigarettes or cigars on the resort property just not under any roofs.
    What does the "Couples policy" have to do with it.

It is now Jamaican law.

People were smoking cigars in the lobby area when we were there in April waiting for the shuttle

Quote Originally Posted by clydealp View Post
    What does the "Couples policy" have to do with it.

It is now Jamaican law.
    From what I can see on the website linked to the actual law, the law has not substantially changed, smoking is essentially not allowed under a roof. I'm not a Jamaican attorney so this is just a casual observer's interpretation.

You ask what Couples policy has to do with it - it is that Couples can further restrict smoking. The original poster was inquiring about an e-mail from a reservations clerk that is spreading on Facebook and other social media that said Couples had gone totally smoke free. This would be a Couples policy as the law is not that broad. That is why an official stance from Management (rather than a clerk) would be appreciated.

Kurt and Angela
    CN 2011, 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017
    CSS 2014, 2016, 2017