Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1

    Default Time travel at Couples!

    well, sort of...

    36 days to go and I'm wanting every single day to just zip by so I can be back to Jamaica that much sooner!

    Except... when I get there I want time to completely stop!

    I have my ways - here's some of the best - what are some of the things you do to get the most out of the time on your vacation?

    1> I used to start my vacation when i got to the resort - "Ah, finally here, now vacation can start..." The problem is it takes a day or two to get relaxed and really start to get into the mindset...

    So now, I start my vacation the minute I walk out of work and don't end it until I have to walk back in. I even kick it off right with a Bahama mama or some dark rum to get my mind ready.

    This way everything is all part of the vacation... Heading to the airport, waiting for the bus... All just another aspect of my relaxing vacation.

    By the time I get to the resort - I'm there mentally too!

    2> There are no lines!! Waiting to check in? waiting to talk to the water sports guy who is busy with someone else etc?... This time gets sucked away...

    I learned to get this time back at Tower Island as I was waiting to check in - as I was staring straight ahead wondering just how many questions the people in front could possibly ask I happen to look over and there's the island - and the water - so gorgeous... Why am I in a hurry?

    So now, if there is a line for something I either twist myself around to find the hidden view to enjoy or I'll come back later when the line is gone...

    3> No reading! (especially news) I want to be 100% mentally at the resort.

    I'm a software architect so I read/write all day, all week so it's time for my brain to have a break.

    Once, I spent an hour watching a barracuda stalk fish in the shallows near the mineral pool - very interesting - I would have never even noticed if I was buried in a book.

    btw - I realize this isn't for everyone including my wife who is busy right now loading tons of books on her kindle. It works out though because I'm perfectly content sitting on the beach doing nothing while she reads.

    4> Un-pack everything and put the suitcase away! You'll thank me on this one if you haven't tried this already. I learned this in London many years back and finally convinced my wife to do it on our last trip.

    It seems fine on day 1 to just live out of the suit case, but by day 5 it's a disaster and each time you have to dig around hunting something down you're wasting time... "I know I brought XYZ, where could it have gone?"

    5> Make dinner reservations for as late as possible. A 6:00 reservation may seem completely reasonable when you check in but you're forgetting about the time to get ready which means you leave the beach when there's still a lot of day light left.

    I also find that no matter how good our intentions are - we don't do much after dinner so the later we make the reservation, the longer we play on the beach and the longer the overall day will last.

    6> Sleep? Who needs it! Our 2nd trip to Couples was also our first trip away from our kids - who were very little at the time - all we wanted to do was sleep! and we did sleep a lot on that trip so I understand if this is one thing you are looking forward to...

    But on the last three trips I made it a point to either set an alarm or leave some of the drapes slightly open so I can see when the sun is up - if it's daylight - I want to be outside!

    It took 3 trips, but my wife has said she'll be joining me on my early morning swim, walk, yoga etc. this time...

    You would be amazed at how much you can get in between 6:00-9:00am!

    7> There is no such thing as a quick trip back to the room for something we forgot... We bring a big pool bag - if there's even a slight chance we need it, it goes in the bag...

    Any other tips?

  2. #2

    Default

    100% agree, especially the reading part, why escape in to a book when your in paradise.

  3. #3

    Default

    Great tips. How about only counting work days until time to leave, after all when your not working it is kind of like being on vacation. I can sit and watch the birds or lizards for hours at a time. Sometimes just to see if they are alive. Also watching the fish swimming in the ponds at Negril mesmerize me.

  4. #4

    Default

    Smoke a fatty and stare at the Water sounds like what the OP is discribing. Can't concetrate on a book when drinking.
    Can't eat at 6pm, usually:

    Have a few shots at sunset. Have nooky. Pass out.
    Get up, take another shower, have a Redstripe.
    Eat at 8:30 about right.

    Get up at 6, jump in the water, have a cup of coffee. Tennis, second breakfast and on the beach.

    Lather, rinse, repeat.

  5. #5

    Default

    Great list. Love the part about enjoying the trip to get to the resort. I get that folks are just busting to get there but you most likely will be there for a week so what is an hour, give or take?

    Also the reading part. I enjoy some of the local "medicine" so reading can be pointless. Ever re-read a paragraph 5 times? Love just looking out at the water and watching all the goings on at the beach at CSA. Also never had a TV and would only glance at the one across the street just to make the sure the world was still there. It always was/is. I figured someone would say something if it wasn't.

    Thanks for sharing.

  6. #6

    Default

    I think that you make such great points! So often I see tons and tons of people buried in their phones which is fine, but in our eyes why waste time doing that when you can take advantage of the gorgeous scenery!! Now I'm not saying I don't bring a cell and completely shut out the outside world because I don't ---I remain some type of contact with family members but it's important to take advantage of all the beauty and scenery and spending time with your loved one. How often can you enjoy the beautiful views while eating breakfast?? Not often enough n in my eyes

  7. #7

    Default

    MichaelAndKristin Thanks so much you have some great points that I will be using we will also be at CTI in 38 days 20 hrs and 46min but who is counting maybe we will meet at some point and have a drink.....

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cheyennenoah View Post
    MichaelAndKristin Thanks so much you have some great points that I will be using we will also be at CTI in 38 days 20 hrs and 46min but who is counting maybe we will meet at some point and have a drink.....
    44 days for us!! Is it October yet?

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelAndKristin View Post
    well, sort of...

    36 days to go and I'm wanting every single day to just zip by so I can be back to Jamaica that much sooner!

    Except... when I get there I want time to completely stop!

    I have my ways - here's some of the best - what are some of the things you do to get the most out of the time on your vacation?

    1> I used to start my vacation when i got to the resort - "Ah, finally here, now vacation can start..." The problem is it takes a day or two to get relaxed and really start to get into the mindset...

    So now, I start my vacation the minute I walk out of work and don't end it until I have to walk back in. I even kick it off right with a Bahama mama or some dark rum to get my mind ready.

    This way everything is all part of the vacation... Heading to the airport, waiting for the bus... All just another aspect of my relaxing vacation.

    By the time I get to the resort - I'm there mentally too!

    2> There are no lines!! Waiting to check in? waiting to talk to the water sports guy who is busy with someone else etc?... This time gets sucked away...

    I learned to get this time back at Tower Island as I was waiting to check in - as I was staring straight ahead wondering just how many questions the people in front could possibly ask I happen to look over and there's the island - and the water - so gorgeous... Why am I in a hurry?

    So now, if there is a line for something I either twist myself around to find the hidden view to enjoy or I'll come back later when the line is gone...

    3> No reading! (especially news) I want to be 100% mentally at the resort.

    I'm a software architect so I read/write all day, all week so it's time for my brain to have a break.

    Once, I spent an hour watching a barracuda stalk fish in the shallows near the mineral pool - very interesting - I would have never even noticed if I was buried in a book.

    btw - I realize this isn't for everyone including my wife who is busy right now loading tons of books on her kindle. It works out though because I'm perfectly content sitting on the beach doing nothing while she reads.

    4> Un-pack everything and put the suitcase away! You'll thank me on this one if you haven't tried this already. I learned this in London many years back and finally convinced my wife to do it on our last trip.

    It seems fine on day 1 to just live out of the suit case, but by day 5 it's a disaster and each time you have to dig around hunting something down you're wasting time... "I know I brought XYZ, where could it have gone?"

    5> Make dinner reservations for as late as possible. A 6:00 reservation may seem completely reasonable when you check in but you're forgetting about the time to get ready which means you leave the beach when there's still a lot of day light left.

    I also find that no matter how good our intentions are - we don't do much after dinner so the later we make the reservation, the longer we play on the beach and the longer the overall day will last.

    6> Sleep? Who needs it! Our 2nd trip to Couples was also our first trip away from our kids - who were very little at the time - all we wanted to do was sleep! and we did sleep a lot on that trip so I understand if this is one thing you are looking forward to...

    But on the last three trips I made it a point to either set an alarm or leave some of the drapes slightly open so I can see when the sun is up - if it's daylight - I want to be outside!

    It took 3 trips, but my wife has said she'll be joining me on my early morning swim, walk, yoga etc. this time...

    You would be amazed at how much you can get in between 6:00-9:00am!

    7> There is no such thing as a quick trip back to the room for something we forgot... We bring a big pool bag - if there's even a slight chance we need it, it goes in the bag...

    Any other tips?
    I really need a manifest to instruct how best to enjoy my trip? Keep it real and not read? Keep it real, and stare into space?

    "once I watched a two ant's fornicate for hours.............It was great" Then I realized I was at the DMV in Madison Wisconson!!!! Whoa!

    Why wait until blacking out in Jamaica when life is but a dream?

  10. #10

    Default

    I agree we always start our vacation after the last day of work before it starts. Then it seems to be a little longer and the excitement builds. I love to fly but my wife really doesn't so for me it's great, seeing the island for the first time is great. I don't mind the ride because there is so much to see and some of the drivers are very funny. The idea of nothing to do for a week or longer is wonderful. I seem to take the same pictures every time but yet they are a little different and great to look at to help with the wait until the next trip. Great idea about staring at the water sounds Bargonmon.

  11. #11

    Default

    Thanks for all the responses.

    Bargamon/jimpat - definitely one of the best parts about Jamaica - I'll make mine just a bit fatter with you guys in mind!

    We will be at tower island from october 14th-22nd so cheyennenoah we'll see you there.

    People tell me I look like Penn jillette (tall, pony tail, glasses) from penn & teller so I'm hard to miss.

    Iriemon - yup - to each his own, but our cell is only for emergencies too. I can play with my phone anytime - like now as I wait for this really boring meeting to end.

  12. #12

    Default

    Bargmon, dude, funny.
    One Love,
    Mya

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bargamon View Post
    I really need a manifest to instruct how best to enjoy my trip? Keep it real and not read? Keep it real, and stare into space?

    "once I watched a two ant's fornicate for hours.............It was great" Then I realized I was at the DMV in Madison Wisconson!!!! Whoa!

    Why wait until blacking out in Jamaica when life is but a dream?
    madison? why there (here)?
    aren't you from NC?

  14. #14

    Default

    MichaelAndKristin, You have given me a great idea about starting our vacation before arriving at our hotel of choice. My husband is usually in a two-day tax class the days right before we leave. This year I am going to plan a steak dinner for our last evening home since that is one thing we miss while in Jamaica. Of course Red Stripe will be served. I also swear that we will be completely packed the weekend before we leave!! We leave Wednesday morning so we will use travel toiletries Monday and Tuesday so the only thing I will need to pack that morning is my makeup bag...I don't think anyone could recognize me from my passport without makeup...but I am considering it. Is it December yet???

  15. #15

    Default

    We are now at 29 days and wishing the days would fly by!!! I enjoyed your post. This year will be our third trip to Swept Away, we are leaving on a Friday am so I decided that we would start our vacation at noon on Thursday. Hubby is to leave work at noon, come home help finish packing and preparing the house for our departure, then we will go to dinner and see Dirty Dancing (the traveling Broadway show at our local theater). Flight leaves at 0600 Friday morning and we decided to treat ourselves and use some Delta points and fly first class so by the time we arrive at Swept Aaway we will be deep in the vacacation mind set. Can't wait!!!!!!!

    Ya Mon
    CSA 2012, 2013

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by madtown mom View Post
    madison? why there (here)?
    aren't you from NC?
    It was like the movie "Inception"!

    One thing leads to another. So basically Im IN NC, I THINK im staring at ants in Negril but Im in the DMV in Madison!!!!
    When I come back around, IM in NC.

    SO the question is, do we really ever get to Negril, or do we just think we went?

    Take the Blue pill to find out the truth and wake up, or the red one and stay in wonderland?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •