Default A tad concerned about the tipping policy

Wednesday we will be at Couples CN for the first time. (Can't get here soon enough). I have done my diligence in reading these threads and the resort website many times. (mostly to day dream). I have talked to a lot of friends that have been to all-inclusive resorts where tipping is not supposed to happen. I see in many places on couples.com that tipping is not allowed. These friends all tell me that they, and others, do tip and by doing so they seem to get drinks more quickly, etc. This is kind of concerning to me. Though I'm absolutely certain that Couples treats everyone with top-tier service, is there a trend to tipping at CN or other Couples resorts? I hope this is not the case. Regardless of the trend, I intend to have a great time and look forward to the great service Couples seems to offer.

DO NOT TIP! The employees can loose their jobs.

Everyone is treated the same.....with fabulous service!! You are right that tipping is not allowed and you will not be made to feel like you should tip while at Couples. Some people still take it upon themselves to tip (hopefully discreetly) and in my opinion, if they do so, should not be telling others to do it or should not be admitting that they do it. The only people you should/need to tip are the drivers to and from the resort and the staff at the spa. Have a great time! I know that you will!!

Welcome to the couples family. I understand your worry, we worried about tipping our first trip too. Was it no tipping "wink wink" or is it really no tipping (execpt spa). It really is no tipping,we have never been made to feel we should tip or has it been hinted that we should. One trip we saw a guest force a tip on to a worker. He then put it in the garbage and said to us"not worth my job". The level of service we receive has always been over the top,like our drinks are being made as we walk up to bar before we order and we have never tipped.
    Last edited by redinthehead; May 26th, 2014 at 04:48 PM. Reason: forgot a very important word

I certainly understand following the threads-we just went for our first trip in December and I already find myself daydreaming about our next trip-you're going to love it there! As for tipping, we did not leave a single tip for food or drinks, nor did we notice anyone else slipping tips to bartenders or waiters, and we still felt like celebrities. We did tip the shuttle driver to and from the airport, as well as the ladies at the spa after our couples massage, but that was it! Just be prepared to relax in paradise

I can only speak for myself, but in 7 trips to CSS and trips 8 and 9 coming up, I have never tipped and have always received exemplary service. In fact I have seen wait staff tell a guest offering a tip that it wasn't worth losing his job. You will have a wonderful trip without tipping! Enjoy!!!

Plain and simple.... NO TIPPING!!!! Many "all-inclusive" resorts allow tipping, Couple does not.

This has been addressed on the message boards as-nauseum. Do. Not. Tip. It's against resort policy and the staff members will lose their jobs. Pretty simple. Read the dozens upon dozens of other threads on the subject.

Don't TIP, the employees can loose their job and jobs are hard to come by in Jamaica. You will get the same treatment as everyone else does, that's the beauty of it.

what about the maid service?

What a never-ending subject.
    Tip at the END of your stay for outstanding service, not during your stay to hope for "special" service.
    Is that fair?

Here is a copy and paste from direct from the website: I have underlined what Couples says is "allowed"

Frequently Asked Questions

Resort Policies http://couples.com/info/faq.php

No Tipping Policy
    Couples resorts places a strong emphasis on our 'No Tipping Policy' as we believe this is an essential part of our carefree all-inclusive resort experience. Once you arrive at our resort, a friendly 'thank you' or note on guest comment card is the best tip you can give and the only one allowed. For 'a la carte' spa and salon services only, tipping is discretionary, not mandatory. Outside of our resorts, tipping is customary for all airport baggage personnel, taxi drivers, etc.
    CN, Oct 2012, CN May 2013, CN Dec 2013, CN Dec 2014, CN Dec 2015, CN Dec 2016, CN Dec 2017, CN Dec Dec 2018, CN Dec 2019 (COIVD Cancelled 2020) Booked CN Dec 2021

I have seen it done at a couples resort...quite frankly, it was the ONE low point of our trip, because I instantly questioned everything I had read on the message boards and can't really describe the guilty feeling we had like maybe we should have been tipping under the table and just didn't know because it was our first time there. The tipping was done in a restaurant and was obvious enough that I could see it was a $20.

Having said that...I fully believe that it was the exception, not the rule. We do not tip on property. No employee EVER made us feel like we should be giving them a tip. (No awkward pauses after delivering food etc.) One of the reasons I love couples is that everyone is equal. It's one of the few places on earth that money doesn't make someone more important.

I scanned the message boards before going, but our trip was booked 3 weeks in advance so we didn't have a year to prepare like some...this did create one tipping dilemma that I STILL can't find the answer to completely even after reading the "ad-nauseum" posts. On that note...it's a pretty time consuming process that has a learning curve to figure out how to properly search terms and find answers from previous posts...it really isn't necessary to comment only to make people feel bad for re-asking or confirming a question...I had lots of questions that are asked on here repeatedly the first time and I STILL wondered if it was true. There is always some fears when you shell out a lot of money for a vacation and you take a leap to visit a new resort. So rather than say "it's already been addressed", I say WELCOME TO THE COUPLES FAMILY!! Relax! You have nothing to worry about and it is exactly as it claims to be.

As a side note: I wish someone from Couples would confirm/deny the same tipping question that's been asked on the board a hundred times and never answered... Are couples photographers contractors that should be tipped or couples employees??? I was under the impression that they were employees and did not tip...now I hear that they are contractors and should be tipped. If that is the case, I feel AWFUL since I loved my photos. I never tip my photographers in the states though so I didn't even think about it.

Blog Entries

Hi All,

Thank you all for your comments regarding tipping on the Message Board. As you are aware Couples Resorts places a strong emphasis on our 'No Tipping Policy' as we believe this is an essential part of our carefree all-inclusive resort experience. Once you arrive at our resort, a friendly 'thank you' or note on guest comment card is the best tip you can give and the only one allowed. For 'a la carte' spa and salon services only, tipping is discretionary, not mandatory. Outside of our resorts, tipping is customary for all airport baggage personnel, taxi drivers, etc.

Pease note that All Staff are aware of the above policy of the resort and the resulting disciplinary actions that will be taken if caught.

As usual, we welcome your feedback and continued support of Couples Resorts.

http://couples.com/info/faq.php"]http://couples.com/info/faq.php[/URL]
    Michelle Gordon
    ------------------
    On-Island Social Media Coordinator
    Couples Resorts

What I find interesting is that on the SAME DAY two people posted a response to this that was not very nice and that also completely contradicted each other. No tipping. No...Tip at the END of your trip. And we wonder why people are confused??? And I agree with Mills. Quite being so snarky people! If it such a bother for you to keep answering the same questions, then don't! I just cringe every time I see someone be rude to people on this board. It is so unnecessary and doesn't jive at all with what Couples stands for.

MichelleG
    Do gifts such as clothing, I pads, perfume, etc, for employees or members of employees families fall under the "No Tipping Policy"? Thank You for your reply. I can't get your link to open.

Blog Entries

Hi LasCrs,

Thank you for your query. On occasion guests will take gifts for staff, however a letter is required to accompany same and Management will issue a pass allowing the gift to be taken off the resort.
    Michelle Gordon
    ------------------
    On-Island Social Media Coordinator
    Couples Resorts

Quote Originally Posted by soglad View Post
    What a never-ending subject.
    Tip at the END of your stay for outstanding service, not during your stay to hope for "special" service.
    Is that fair?
    What part of "No Tipping allowed" do you not understand??