Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

The cost for the dime master course is 650 I believe. Shaggy is still at CSA unfortunately Franz's is no longer there. Anthony is still running the dive shop and Craig came over from couples Negril to fill Franz's position. CSA soon come. 9 days

Thats unfortunate about Franz... He was our first Jamaican DM, definitely inspired us to be better divers, rather than be vacation divers... Gibbyvaca, please pass a message to Shaggy... "Dewayne and Ashley are coming in June with his new ScubaPRO BCD and Reg set... We can't wait to complete our DM certifications and help thin the waters of the tasty lionfish..."

Definitely. I feel the same way. He was an awesome Dm. I'll make sure shaggy knows you're on your way. As for as the lionfish...I'm going to make a huge dent in them in the next few weeks! Leaving behind more spears and zookeepers! Spear em and sear em!!!

jhenderson, it was great diving with you while at CSS. We had snow last night. I so whish I was back there.

MBJ

I had a great time as well. We had some snow last night and flurries most of the day today. Can't wait to get back to Jamaica in December. Only 230 days.

Default Info re PADI certification at CSS

Name:  2014-02 CSS Scuba.jpg
Views: 1150
Size:  31.6 KB
    Hello everyone!
    This was my first dive during our 1st visit to Couples at CSS in Feb 2014 while celebrating our 14th anniversary and vow renewal (not while underwater - lol).
    I dove again at CN in Nov with Carl and want to get PADI certified next month on our next 3rd visit to Couples (I think we're hooked ).
    Q1. Wondering about the bookwork - can i do it before arriving? through the resort? or .. how's that work?
    Q2. Also, now I have a big bushy beard and I had trouble getting the mask to seal in Negril, do I have to shave?

I would get in contact with a local PADI dive shop, and atleast do the book work with them. You won't want to spend Resort Time doing book work. As far as the beard, just trim down on the cheeks and if not on the nose, try a little vasoline on the hair that comes in contact with your mask.

We'll be at CSS May 6-13 for the first time. My husband is a certified diver. We were confused by the website as to whether he needs to also complete the medical form on the site before he can dive. Can anyone clarify? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce+Jessica View Post

Q1. Wondering about the bookwork - can i do it before arriving? through the resort? or .. how's that work?
    Q2. Also, now I have a big bushy beard and I had trouble getting the mask to seal in Negril, do I have to shave?
    Q1: You can do the PADI online coursework, then do all of your skills/pool and dives in the comfort of Jamaica. But really if you don't mind studying/reading in the shade of a gorgeous palm tree, save the $$ and do it there.

Q2: Although I don't have a bushy beard (mustache and goatee only), you can get a seal with shaving a thin patch beneath the nose, and using the silicone lube for o-rings to help seal the lower portion of the mask. Advice: go to a SCUBA shop and get them to fit you and that'll make a world of difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce+Jessica View Post

Q1: You can do the PADI online coursework, then do all of your skills/pool and dives in the comfort of Jamaica. But really if you don't mind studying/reading in the shade of a gorgeous palm tree, save the $$ and do it there.

Q2: Although I don't have a bushy beard (mustache and goatee only), you can get a seal with shaving a thin patch beneath the nose, and using the silicone lube for o-rings to help seal the lower portion of the mask. Advice: go to a SCUBA shop and get them to fit you and that'll make a world of difference.

Quote Originally Posted by kssr87 View Post
    We'll be at CSS May 6-13 for the first time. My husband is a certified diver. We were confused by the website as to whether he needs to also complete the medical form on the site before he can dive. Can anyone clarify? Thanks.
    Yes,
    He does need to complete it. If he answers "yes" to any of the questions, he made need a letter from his doctor indicating he is cleared to dive. We've seen people unable to dive until they got a fax from their Dr. at home and it was a hassle. We have also seen people pay a doctor in Jamaica $100 for an exam and then get rejected! So, if there is any doubt, get a note from the doctor in advance. The medical form is on line maybe on this site, if you do a search. We'll be there diving until 5/7 so we may overlap for one day of diving.

Hi Gary and Patti,

Thanks for the information. I called Couples today and was told he does not need to complete the medical form, but based on your response, I think we'll have our doctor sign it just in case.

Looking to pick up a camera we can use while diving on our trip in December. I have narrowed it down (I think) to the Cannon D30 or the Nikon AW130 anyone have experience with either of these? Any recommendations on what one will take better underwater pic's and video? The cannon is good to 80 some feet and the Nikon to 100 feet so no problems there.

I'm going to do all the book work and reviews before I go and then do the skills and dives when I get there because .. I was able to buy the Open Water manual for CDN$70+tax today!
    The first dive shop I went to told me to get the manual I had to do the eLearning course or take their classroom and pool course $$$. But the second shop said, "No problem Mon!"
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1051
Size:  282.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by wallace02mgd View Post
    Looking to pick up a camera we can use while diving on our trip in December. I have narrowed it down (I think) to the Cannon D30 or the Nikon AW130 anyone have experience with either of these? Any recommendations on what one will take better underwater pic's and video? The cannon is good to 80 some feet and the Nikon to 100 feet so no problems there.
    I have the Canon D30 and we have used it in Cozumel in August and CSA in the last two weeks. We have been very pleased with it. Ken has had it down to 109' with no problems although it is only rated to 82'. We dove for five days and I only had to recharge it once. It has an underwater mode and the colors were really good. Also takes videos. The camera is small and we just slip it in the front of our wetsuits while entering the water.

That's probably the best way to do it! Just be prepared to take the final test at the resort if you don't do it through Padi online. It's not hard at all. I paid a local shop for the classroom and confined water dives demonstrating the skills. Right around 400USD. Thinking all I had to do were the open water dives at CSS but I was Wrong! I had to redo the pool time before doing the 4 open water certification dives. Wasn't a huge deal but the wife grumbled a little about leaving her on the beach that unexpected hour or two. To do the referral dives at couples was another 250USD. Good luck and enjoy the diving, I'm hooked for life now��. FYI if you go to the bottom of the page and select already booked it gives the prices for the different certifications etc.

Quote Originally Posted by robnamy View Post
    That's probably the best way to do it! Just be prepared to take the final test at the resort if you don't do it through Padi online. It's not hard at all. I paid a local shop for the classroom and confined water dives demonstrating the skills. Right around 400USD. Thinking all I had to do were the open water dives at CSS but I was Wrong! I had to redo the pool time before doing the 4 open water certification dives. Wasn't a huge deal but the wife grumbled a little about leaving her on the beach that unexpected hour or two. To do the referral dives at couples was another 250USD. Good luck and enjoy the diving, I'm hooked for life now��. FYI if you go to the bottom of the page and select already booked it gives the prices for the different certifications etc.
    Thanks! Great tip! I didn't know that! Looks like I could've saved a few bucks doing the referral course. I didn't know Couples offered the referral course. I thought it was $365 regardless.
    I paid $70 for my book and I'll pay $365 at Couples = $435
    could have done the basics at home for $160 (on special) + $250 for the Couples referral course = $410
    Oh well. Still excited!

Aninyukonok,
    We are going to CSA in August and will be diving. Is there something specifically that Shaggy, Anthony or the other members of the dive team need? We'd be happy to bring them something.
    KK

19. Default

Well its a long time coming! The interaction with fellow divers is something that has been missed since the losing of the CSA FB dive page. It is a welcome addition and look forward to hearing from all of our divers about their expierences and adventures! Thank you Michelle! Scuba Steve Soon Come Back
    http://www.meizu-mx5.com/

20. Default

If it is a Lion Fish "contest", it should be a separate dive. There are a lot of divers who haven't logged the dives like others have, and all they want to do is dive and move. You're not seeing a lot if all you are doing at times is cutting fins and bagging.
    www.meizu-mx5.com

Quote Originally Posted by mobilephone153 View Post
    If it is a Lion Fish "contest", it should be a separate dive. There are a lot of divers who haven't logged the dives like others have, and all they want to do is dive and move. You're not seeing a lot if all you are doing at times is cutting fins and bagging.
    www.meizu-mx5.com
    We just got back from CSS and managed to go on 12 dives. We definitely noticed that the hunting of Lion Fish is greatly reducing their numbers. A couple of days we dove with a local gentleman who regularly hunts them and he indicated that there were 90% fewer now than two years ago. The resort served Lion Fish at the Friday night Gala and they were quite tasty!

Quote Originally Posted by mobilephone153 View Post
    www.meizu-mx5.com
    The beauty of diving with multiple DMs/Guides... If you don't want to hunt or aren't interested in seeing the removal of an incredibly destructive invasive species, then you can move along... Those of us who are more experienced and recognize the overall destructive capabilities of this species will gladly hang back and eliminate these fish while you burn through your dive / air.

Not to seem calloused, but the main problem that novice and vacation only divers have is poor air consumption due to "seeing and moving way too fast". If I am actively hunting, I am much more methodical and precise in all of my actions, therefore I regularly end up finishing dives with CSA in the 45-55 minute range with over 1800 PSI remaining.

Hunting or not, try slowing down and focusing on the smaller side of things. You are missing Arrow crabs, seahorses, brittle stars, the hidden crabs and lobsters, the christmas tree worms, plus a multitude of other macro creatures.... When I learned to slow down, I found myself seeing more and better creatures than ever... Eagle rays, sharks, dolphins, octopus, and frogfish (unfortunately not in Jamaica though)...

Quote Originally Posted by wallace02mgd View Post
    Do you own an iPhone? If so, Watershot makes excellent housings that work up to 200ft down. I just got through using one, and it worked fantastic.

I went diving for my first time, and it was excellent. Despite being a very strong swimmer, former surfer, I was still nervous about screwing something up 40ft underwater. Our dive master, Sugar, at CN was fantastic. He was very through, explained everything well, helped out those in need, and his calmness reflected on the rest of the class. I didn't have time for certification this time, but I'd consider it in the future. So glad I conquer my fear, and found it to be so easy and natural.

OK, I have read this entire thread and have found the answer to my question. I am SDI certified and have all of my personal dive equipment. We will be going to CSA in the middle of July and I would like to get a few dives in while I can in the warm Caribbean water. I will need to rent a BCD, regulators, tank, and computer. Is there somewhere I can look to find the rental costs. I also have a 5 mm semi dry suit. I would rather not bring it, so is it possible to dive with no wet suit in July, or is it recommended to at least don a lightweight shortie.

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast