Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

I am visiting CSS in early September. I wish to SCUBA dive with my wife. Can anyone tell me if there is a pier to pick up the divers, or do you have to swim / wade into the water?? My wife is not comfortable wading in to the boat. If there is no pier, how far is the boat before boarding??

Thanks in advance for any info.

Duplicate.... Sorry
    Last edited by tx4chiefs; September 1st, 2015 at 06:07 PM.

Shot... The first time we went to Swept Away I was only open water cert. I got on the boat, early morning dive, and when asked for dive levels I said "open", there was a "oh no" heard on the boat. That meant the dive was limited to a specific depth and the Advanced divers had to dive a diff. site. That being said, the afternoon dive is at a shallower depth so no problem. I would go to the dive shop and ask, what the morning site is going to be and if there is going to be a problem. The dive masters will tell you what's up and there will be no problem Can't wait to get wet!!!

Thank you BarDar. I guess we will just find out for sure when we get there, but I really do hope our certification is 'grandfathered' in. We have certainly gone deeper than 60' on many occasions, even exceeding 100' a couple of times in Cozumel. The certification and training we received in the 1980's was actually more like a college-level course, complete with a textbook (we still have our textbooks!). It was 4-6 weeks (I can't remember the exact # of weeks) of classroom training as well as in-pool instructing and testing. After passing the final exam, we had to go on 2 two-tank dives in open water. Although I actually prefer dives in 60' feet of water or less, I don't want to be limited--I want to see it ALL! Thanks again!

We are planning our honeymoon in June 2016. Although I have been to Jamaica numerous times, it was always at a S C property.

I have always had my eye on CSS so I thought what better time to try it than for our honeymoon! I like to dive and my fiancé likes to golf

How is the diving and golfing at CSS?

James you do have to wade to the boat but it is fairly easy. The dive team will carry her gear but not yours. They are a lot of fun. I have a question for divers who have brought their own scuba gear. Did you leave it at the dive hut or back to your room? I just got gear and am thinking about bringing it because I am wanting to use my own gear to get used to it and I won't have to wear that weight belt that is a pain for me, big belly and no hips LOL. Thanks for any advice. 95 days to go until CN/CSS split stay.

Had a great time at CTI ! When we first arrived it was still a bit windy from Erica but by Tuesday, wonderful. The crew, DM's and Instructors were patient and knew their stuff. Equipment was suitable for the Dives that we did and if you don't bring your own reg and computer( you really should if you have them, just saying) they have what you need to have a great time.
    A++ to the whole scuba crew.
    Last edited by Winterone; September 8th, 2015 at 10:41 PM.

Hi TX4CHIEFS
    I have just returned from CSS. The diving is great, so would not worry about the short wade out to the boat. The dive boat is anchored with its stern facing the beach. It is no more than a 10m wade out to it, in ankle deep water (she'll not even get her knees wet). The dive crew will carry her kit for her so it really is dead easy. The marine life she will most probably see will make up for any worries about wading to the boat. If you are as lucky as we were, you may even have the pod of dolphins that played with us visit you on your trip.

Hi hothockeymom
    I've just returned from CSS. I was really surprised at how good the diving was. I managed 2 dives per day for most of our 2 week stay. The local sites are at the most 10 minutes ride away and provide plenty of variety. We saw an abundance of marine life ranging from eagle rays to turtles. The highlight was an encounter with a pod of dolphins who joined us as we were surfacing one day. They stuck around us for quite a while and were very playful and friendly. You are going to have a great time at CSS, I can'y wait to return.

jhen, I bring my gear and keep it in our room. I usually rinse everything while I'm taking my shower. If we are on the first floor, I keep the gear on the shelf and floor in the shower, ( Swept Away). If on the second floor, you can keep the gear outside, just don't hang it on your railing. No weight belt is a whole other way to dive, gotta love the BCD! Can't wait to get wet!!!

BarDar , Thanks for the info. I got hit in head last April when someone dropped their weight belt from above. I was lucky I have a hard head and it kind of grazed me. Getting my advanced open water in the next few weeks, can wait to get back in the water. Then it's only 91 days till CN/CSS for 10 days.

I leave my gear, except my dive computer at the dive shack... no need to drag it back and forth

I have a question. Do you need to bring a wetsuit with you when going on a dive at Couples?

Quote Originally Posted by longingforhome View Post
    I have a question. Do you need to bring a wetsuit with you when going on a dive at Couples?
    The water is really warm, so there's not as much of a need from a warmth perspective, unless you get cold easily in the water. We bring our 3mm shorties, however, for protection against chafing, jellyfish, windy boat rides, etc. If you want to use one, but don't want to bring one, they have them for rent at the resorts. If you think you'll want one, and have room to pack your own, that would be my suggestion. Ours are already packed and ready to go in 26 days
    "Brutalize me with music..."

CN: 11/2007, 11/2010, 11/2011, 11/2013, 11/2015, 11/2016, 11/2017, 11/2018

thanks dank120

I have not seen anything mentioned on the repairs with LEO II at CTI. April 2016 is coming soon. Happy Thanksgiving!

Quote Originally Posted by marbil View Post
    I have not seen anything mentioned on the repairs with LEO II at CTI. April 2016 is coming soon. Happy Thanksgiving!
    If LEO II was the dive boat it wasn't repaired and/or in service when I left the resort on 3 Nov 2015. They were using one glass bottom boat for glass bottom tours, snorkeling, and SCUBA diving. The 9:00 AM dive usually went off a half hour or more late as it had to wait for the boat to return from the 8:30 AM glass bottom trip.

Apparently CTI had lost two SCUBA boats over the past couple months, i.e. their original one broke down and went in for repairs, and a "rental" capsized/sunk in front of the Thai restaurant (it was pulled out of the water and went in for repairs too).

I also spent a week at CSS. At both resorts they said they are expecting a new dive boat (CTI's might just be a repaired one); however, they couldn't tell me when exactly it will be there. Ever heard the expression: SOON COME MON?.....

Thanks for the update. SOON COME!

scuba diving is a mode of under water diving in which a scuba diver uses an underwater breathing apparatus to breathe underwater. This is part of adventure riding underwater, Who wants some new things in life. I love it.

We got back from CTI in November. Sorry for not posting sooner. We were unable to dive 1 of the days due to rough water and poor visibility. The boat we took out was the glass bottom boat and they said too rough for it. As far as visibility I would have been fine with anything over about 10' but they don't like to go out with less than 40'. I'm not sure how they calculate that but on one of the dives they kept apologizing for poor visibility and I could see clearly for 100' plus. It was a great experience for me. I don't have a lot of dive experience and was totally hooked. The wreck dive is the best dive in my opinion. Lot's of things to see. No need for computer as the Dive Master has one and he keeps everyone together.

There was one unfortunate thing that happened. Another diver was joking that he would be the first to run low on air before the dive. I just thought that " oh good someone else will be the first to signal low air and need to surface". I was just swimming along and happened to look back when I see someone zooming to the surface, not my buddy. We were down about 75'. I caught up to Dive master and pointed up. we all surfaced after our safety stop. Come to find out that he had taken his air down to 500# and that is where he ran out of air. The gauge had stuck at 500 and in reality it was out. He panicked a bit and dropped his belt leaving his buddy. No more diving for the rest of the week for him.

Default padi certification

Quote Originally Posted by MichelleG 'Island Girl' View Post
    We would love to interact with you all and have you post your experiences, questions, pictures or videos about your Scuba experience in Jamaica and at Couples Resorts.
    If the classroom portion of the padi certification is complete can the diving portion be completed at the resort to become padi certified?

Default CTI diving question

Quote Originally Posted by brian79cj View Post
    We got back from CTI in November. Sorry for not posting sooner. We were unable to dive 1 of the days due to rough water and poor visibility. The boat we took out was the glass bottom boat and they said too rough for it. As far as visibility I would have been fine with anything over about 10' but they don't like to go out with less than 40'. I'm not sure how they calculate that but on one of the dives they kept apologizing for poor visibility and I could see clearly for 100' plus. It was a great experience for me. I don't have a lot of dive experience and was totally hooked. The wreck dive is the best dive in my opinion. Lot's of things to see. No need for computer as the Dive Master has one and he keeps everyone together.

There was one unfortunate thing that happened. Another diver was joking that he would be the first to run low on air before the dive. I just thought that " oh good someone else will be the first to signal low air and need to surface". I was just swimming along and happened to look back when I see someone zooming to the surface, not my buddy. We were down about 75'. I caught up to Dive master and pointed up. we all surfaced after our safety stop. Come to find out that he had taken his air down to 500# and that is where he ran out of air. The gauge had stuck at 500 and in reality it was out. He panicked a bit and dropped his belt leaving his buddy. No more diving for the rest of the week for him.
    thank you for the comments on CTI diving, we have been to Couples 14 times. This will be our third to CTI. But it's been several years. CSA. And CN dive teams make our stays, and some of the recent reviews of CTI have me concerned, not getting on the morning dives, broken boats, I want to go diving, that's one of the reasons we go to Couples. Can you tell me who the dive masters are at the CTI dive shop? And what's the word on the boat? Thank you!!!

Quote Originally Posted by susanreber View Post
    If the classroom portion of the padi certification is complete can the diving portion be completed at the resort to become padi certified?
    Since they offer a PADI certification program at the resort, I'm sure that can be done. However, there could be an additional charge for that. The diving for certified divers is complimentary; but they do charge for the PADI certification programs. In addition to the basic PADI certification (i.e. open water), they offer several advanced certifications too. All of which there is an additional charge.

In fact at CTI (since the PADI certification) is a money maker for their PADI instructors they actually push/encourage you to sign up for the "advanced open water" certification. And at CTI their complimentary daily morning certified dives on Monday and Friday are only open to "advanced certified divers". At CSS anyone can do the complimentary morning dive all seven days with just an "open water' certification.

We arrive feb 4,2016. we where there last year at the same time and the dive boat was in dry dock and they had to borrow and use small boats for us.. I was wondering if the main dive boat was back and up and running.

Quote Originally Posted by Allisirie View Post
    thank you for the comments on CTI diving, we have been to Couples 14 times. This will be our third to CTI. But it's been several years. CSA. And CN dive teams make our stays, and some of the recent reviews of CTI have me concerned, not getting on the morning dives, broken boats, I want to go diving, that's one of the reasons we go to Couples. Can you tell me who the dive masters are at the CTI dive shop? And what's the word on the boat? Thank you!!!
    I only know one name, Sharren Robinson. He was very good and made sure we had a good time. The boat we used was the glass bottom boat. I'm not sure what they normally use but this one is very adequate. I'm sure you will be very taken care of.

Quote Originally Posted by Allisirie View Post
    Recent pics (January 7th) from a new instructor there (Nahema) on Facebook show a proper dive boat moored just off shore.

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast