Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Does anyone know the dive schedule for the Negril side of the island? We have come to understand that CTI requires Advanced Open Water or higher M, W, F mornings, Open Water afternoons M-F with a 2 tank dive on Sat and one dive only on Sunday. CSS seems to be Open Water or higher M-F, a 2 tank on Sat and no diving on Sunday.

Thanks!

I just got back from our 4th trip to CTI and the diving with the new staff was great. The new staff is very professional and attentive, I was worried after the old staff left but there are no worries. CTI does require that if you are going to dive on the morning dives on M,W,F that you have the Advanced Open Water or higher because those dives are deeper, usually 60" or greater and in fact on several dives we were between 100'-120' hunting lionfish. I would suggest if you want to take the Advanced course while you are there go ahead and do it. There was a diver that did that when we were there and he had no problems with the course work or dives and from talking to him he did most of his work at breakfast before the dives.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunfish View Post
    Does anyone know the dive schedule for the Negril side of the island? We have come to understand that CTI requires Advanced Open Water or higher M, W, F mornings, Open Water afternoons M-F with a 2 tank dive on Sat and one dive only on Sunday. CSS seems to be Open Water or higher M-F, a 2 tank on Sat and no diving on Sunday.

Thanks!
    The normal dive schedule at CN is as follows: Sun-Fri, one-tank dives at 9a and 1:30p, and Sat, two-tank dive at 9a. In the last year and a half, CN has started taking out the afternoon dive immediately after the morning dive, but it's handled on a day-by-day basis. This is dependent on whether or not there is a large Intro group, and whether or not all of the afternoon divers are on-board with going out early. Traditionally, the morning dive is a deeper dive (65' or greater) and the afternoon dive is shallower (35'-45'), but this is also handled on a day-by-day basis. If you only have OW certification and are signed up for a morning dive, they don't turn you away. In over 5 dozen dives at CN over the course of 8 years, I've never seen anyone get turned away from a morning dive because they only had OW. The scuba team at CN is by far our favorite in the Caribbean and one of the main reasons why we keep going back.
    "Brutalize me with music..."

CN: 11/2007, 11/2010, 11/2011, 11/2013, 11/2015, 11/2016, 11/2017, 11/2018

Default Wife doesn't dive

If my wife doesn't dive can she go out on the dive boat if it is not full

At CN, we've had a few spouses on the boat with us over the years. Even if the dive boat is full, they usually let them sit up above on the fly deck with the captain.
    "Brutalize me with music..."

CN: 11/2007, 11/2010, 11/2011, 11/2013, 11/2015, 11/2016, 11/2017, 11/2018

There might be an obvious answer to this question but, I'm getting ready to do my Nitrox training this winter so that I can use it next July at CN. I've already talked to the staff about the mix rate and cost but as I begin to familiarize myself with Nitrox I'm wondering if CN has it's own analyzer for divers to use before signing off on a tank of Nitrox or if I need to plan to bring my own. Other than Jamaica I probably won't have a need to dive Nitrox as central Nebraska doesn't really justify its use. So buying an analyzer for myself seems like a waste of money if CN already has one. I'm trying to figure out the costs involved before I take the plunge and sign up for the course. Thanks for any insight.

Blog Entries

SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT...COMING TO US SOON....

Vitamin Sea has set sail to Jamaica and should reach Florida in the next 36hrs! Couples Negril will be receiving an early Christmas Gift...

Name:  IMG_0349.JPG
Views: 1561
Size:  16.5 KB

Name:  IMG_0351.JPG
Views: 1560
Size:  19.7 KB

Name:  IMG_0352.JPG
Views: 1548
Size:  17.3 KB
    Michelle Gordon
    ------------------
    On-Island Social Media Coordinator
    Couples Resorts

Quote Originally Posted by MichelleG 'Island Girl' View Post
    SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT...COMING TO US SOON....

Vitamin Sea has set sail to Jamaica and should reach Florida in the next 36hrs! Couples Negril will be receiving an early Christmas Gift...
    WHOA!!!!! That's awesome! Any idea when it might land in Negril?

Default Dive Questions for CSS

My wife and I will be at CSS from Dec 22 to Dec 29. We are both AOW Nitrox certified divers with more than a few dives under our belt, but we've out of the water for three years due to an in jury I sustained to my shoulder. We are bringing our own gear (full rig including BP/Wing, regs, fins, masks, skins etc) as we do not like using rental gear, no matter the shape.

A few questions for those who have dived CSS:

1. Do they have storage near the dive shack for personal gear.. and it is secure ( our rigs are worth a fair bit so security is a concern).
    2. We just got our regs, comps, and wings back from our service tech and would like to do an equipment and weight check before heading out on an actual dive. We typically to do this as a beach shore dive so we can get our weight dialed in while is salt water. Is this allowed, or do we have to have a DM babysit us?
    3. If we cannot got out on our own, is it possible to "tag along" during a course dive to accomplish our gear check out dive?
    4. On actual dives, which I assume are conga line dives, are we required to have a DM with us, or is there some freedom to dive at our own pace? I am bringing an UW camera and strobe rig and prefer no to be rushed through a dive as it makes getting good pics much harder.
    5. On a typical dive, what it the DM to diver ratio?
    6. I realize we may end up diving with newbies (which is fine my me; I dive for the enjoyment, and always have fin regardless of the length of time down there). My main concern is that we do not want, or need, a DM sitting on our shoulder the whole time under but also understand that they may regulations to satisfy. Do they drive the dive, or are they typically at a leisurely pace.

Any help, or links to helpful posts, is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Rick

I like this quote "My fiance took the begining scuba class and really enjoyed it."

We are going to CSS next year with some friends who haven't dove in a while so they will need to do a refresher. Is this refresher done daily at the main pool and what is the cost to do it?

Quote Originally Posted by Ruminiscing View Post
    We are going to CSS next year with some friends who haven't dove in a while so they will need to do a refresher. Is this refresher done daily at the main pool and what is the cost to do it?
    Just got back from a week at CSS and a week at CTI. To answer your question about CSS:

In 2013 (my first visit to CSS) if you hadn't dove in 2 years you needed to do a "refresher" and/or check out. It was done in the pool, cost $50 (US dollars), and can be done daily. It is usually done between the 2 scheduled dives (i.e around 11 AM or so which would preclude you from doing the 9 AM dive on your first full day there). The first thing they ask you upon arrival to the dive shack is "when was your last dive?", so I assume it is still the same 2 year policy. If you have any "resort credit" (i.e. repeater program dollars and/or booking incentive special promotion) you can use it for that. Any "resort credit" can be used for night dives too; you can not use "resort credit" for any PADI certifications. Leon and Nicklaus were the dive masters, they were excellent. CSS had a great dive boat and excellent SCUBA equipment too. Monday through Friday they offer 2 dives a day (i.e. 9 AM and 1:30 PM) for certified divers. The afternoon dive is considered a shallow dive (i.e. usually only to 50 or 60 feet). On Sunday they only do the 9 AM dive and on Saturday it is a 2 dive trip (boat leaves at 9 AM).

Thanks NudeBeach,

Your reply was very helpful. We will plan on the refresher. Safety and confidence in your techniques and abilities is important before going out on your fist dive in a while. Any idea what day they usually dive the wreck that is near CSS? I have gone diving at CN and their scuba staff were patient and knowledgeable but I haven't done so at CSS yet.

Hi we are attending CSS from April 1st til 8th 2017. I am PADI certified for open water dives however it has been over 2 years since my last dive in waters over 70 feet plus. Is there a chance to do a quick refresher or shallow dive to get re-accustomed with my skills?

Quote Originally Posted by NudeBeach View Post
    Just got back from a week at CSS and a week at CTI. To answer your question about CSS:

In 2013 (my first visit to CSS) if you hadn't dove in 2 years you needed to do a "refresher" and/or check out. It was done in the pool, cost $50 (US dollars), and can be done daily. It is usually done between the 2 scheduled dives (i.e around 11 AM or so which would preclude you from doing the 9 AM dive on your first full day there). The first thing they ask you upon arrival to the dive shack is "when was your last dive?", so I assume it is still the same 2 year policy. If you have any "resort credit" (i.e. repeater program dollars and/or booking incentive special promotion) you can use it for that. Any "resort credit" can be used for night dives too; you can not use "resort credit" for any PADI certifications. Leon and Nicklaus were the dive masters, they were excellent. CSS had a great dive boat and excellent SCUBA equipment too. Monday through Friday they offer 2 dives a day (i.e. 9 AM and 1:30 PM) for certified divers. The afternoon dive is considered a shallow dive (i.e. usually only to 50 or 60 feet). On Sunday they only do the 9 AM dive and on Saturday it is a 2 dive trip (boat leaves at 9 AM).
    I am a PADI certified diver but havent had a dive in the 2 year frame either. We are going to CSS in April. Do we need to pre-book for the refresher or just arrange it upon our arrival. And is the cost still $50.00?

AB,
    I don't think you have the option to pre-book the refresher. I haven't seen that option anywhere. I would think that if you get there early enough on your first day that you could easily book your refresher for the next day. I believe the dive/sports shop closes around 4pm.
    Diving at Couples is very relaxed yet professional. It will be a great place for you to get back into the sport and practice your technique. I wouldn't hesitate to use their equipment either if space and weight is an issue when travelling. I would bring your own mask, fins and snorkel if you can though but that is just my preference.
    Happy travels and safe diving. You will love CSS for more than just the diving.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Bonner View Post
    I am a PADI certified diver but havent had a dive in the 2 year frame either. We are going to CSS in April. Do we need to pre-book for the refresher or just arrange it upon our arrival. And is the cost still $50.00?
    There is no pre booking necessary. You can do it upon arrival. I think it is still $50, but not 100% sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruminiscing View Post
    Thanks NudeBeach,

Your reply was very helpful. We will plan on the refresher. Safety and confidence in your techniques and abilities is important before going out on your fist dive in a while. Any idea what day they usually dive the wreck that is near CSS? I have gone diving at CN and their scuba staff were patient and knowledgeable but I haven't done so at CSS yet.
    They don't have any daily dive site schedule. They could go to any site any day. They do try to rotate somewhat so the regular divers see a variety of sites. Also, they sometimes select the specific site that day due to weather and sea conditions, etc.

Hello;

Frim waht I gather for beginner divers with no certs, it is a 2 day adventure. Training on one day and a real dive in the next.

Can someone provide a typical schedule for CN? Do they run Monday through Friday wherein if I get the training on Wednesday, I can dive on Thursday etc.

So much to do there that I dont want to overbook on catamarans, snorkel, and resort exchange and miss the diving...

Gotta leave time for the pool bar ya know!

Hey all, my wife and myself are coming back to Couples Negril this October for our 10 yr anniversary. We went on our honeymoon, and loved it so much we have been telling our friends for the last 10 years that we would be going back for our 10 year, and time sure does fly cause it's rapidly approaching. We booked with two other couples, and one of the other guys wants to dive with me. Neither of us are certified, but are interested in getting our certifications at CN when we are there if it is still available. If it is, can someone give me the details (cost, schedule, etc). And if it is not offered, what certifications should we get beforehand? Thanks

BOLTFISH
    Are you talking about getting certified or doing the resort course? Certified is 2-3 days then dive as much as you want, where the resort is half a day and 1 dive included.

Caesar
    My buddy and I did the same thing before our first trip to CN except we got certified at home before because we didn't want to be doing book work at the resort. We ended up taking our Advanced Open Water and were studying anyways. I believe it is $365 for OW and takes between 2-3 days. Schedule is usually study during the day take tests in the morning with 4 dives over 2 days to become certified. If you get certified before your trip plan to get an Open Water cert so that you can dive each day. The only limiting factor then would be that in the mornings if there are enough divers there might be a group of AOW divers that does a deep dive >60ft and you would need to go with the group that stays shallower.

Quote Originally Posted by Iowahawkeyes View Post
    BOLTFISH
    Are you talking about getting certified or doing the resort course? Certified is 2-3 days then dive as much as you want, where the resort is half a day and 1 dive included.

Caesar
    My buddy and I did the same thing before our first trip to CN except we got certified at home before because we didn't want to be doing book work at the resort. We ended up taking our Advanced Open Water and were studying anyways. I believe it is $365 for OW and takes between 2-3 days. Schedule is usually study during the day take tests in the morning with 4 dives over 2 days to become certified. If you get certified before your trip plan to get an Open Water cert so that you can dive each day. The only limiting factor then would be that in the mornings if there are enough divers there might be a group of AOW divers that does a deep dive >60ft and you would need to go with the group that stays shallower.
    Im talking about the free, non certification dives- I know I need 2 days, just wanted to ascertain which days that happens.

Thanks for the reply!

BOLTFISH

I'm not sure if they do the resort course everyday or not as I'm a certified diver but I believe it's a half day all in for the resort course. Some lecture and basic skills in the pool then the 1 included ocean dive around 10:30 I believe but check my on that. Couples Scuba does have Facebook page where the SCUBA managers at each resort will answer specific questions FYI.

I did the resort intro course at CSA five years ago. In the intro course, they will have you do a simple swim test. Then they put you in the pool and do all the basics. The main thing they are looking for is that you are calm, follow directions and can physically handle everything. They then take you out for a shallow dive. That was the free part for non certified divers. That year, I went ahead and did the discover diver certification. I think it was around $200. With that certification, you can dive unlimited. I was going to be there six more days, so it was cheaper. We returned the next year and did my Open Water. I think it was around $250 because I was half way certified with the discover scuba. The past two years we have gone to CSS and daily diving is great. We are going home in 36 days and I think I will get my advanced open water at the resort (finally empty nest).

I will say that the dive teams at both resorts are incredible. They take great care of the divers at any certification level. If you are going to pursue diving in the future or make regular trips to all inclusive resorts, it is worth the money.

Great pics and videos, guys! This all just made me decide to try scuba diving next time I'm around
    Currently turning my hobby into career and taking natural therapy courses

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast