Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Finally, a new dive boat. Can't wait to meet Nahema. I will be going for my advanced diver this year. Are Douglass, Chris, and Sharren still there? April is right around the corner.

Going to CSS the first week of May. How big is the dive hut for storage of the gear? CN is huge, CTI is tiny. We have our own equipment but are very protective of it. I know the dive staff doesn't want the ladies to haul any gear, we are on vacation, etc. but I had a dive trip cut short years back when my bcd got a hole in it. Ever since then only hubby or me handle our gear. Dives go at 9am and 1pm? Anyone know how much it is to a refresher course?

Quote Originally Posted by tami&jason View Post
    Going to CSS the first week of May. How big is the dive hut for storage of the gear? CN is huge, CTI is tiny. We have our own equipment but are very protective of it. I know the dive staff doesn't want the ladies to haul any gear, we are on vacation, etc. but I had a dive trip cut short years back when my bcd got a hole in it. Ever since then only hubby or me handle our gear. Dives go at 9am and 1pm? Anyone know how much it is to a refresher course?

We would like to know the answer to this as well. We are booked for the end of May and my husband is a dive instructor who swears by our own gear. I have been on a few dives where the equipment and the stress of the issues has ruined the dive for us. I hope someone can share on where they stored their gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwikarren View Post
    We would like to know the answer to this as well. We are booked for the end of May and my husband is a dive instructor who swears by our own gear. I have been on a few dives where the equipment and the stress of the issues has ruined the dive for us. I hope someone can share on where they stored their gear.
    I was at CSS in September and recall the dives being 9 and 11 am. The dive hut is quite small but it was big enough to take the kit for about 5 or 6 of us who were diving regularly, with room to spare. The guys are really helpful and I was very happy that they would to care of everything that is left there. I would not leave camera and computer kit purely because it would be unfair to expect them to look after it, but BCD and wetsuits will be fine. You will have a great time.

Quote Originally Posted by tami&jason View Post
    I was at CN last week. The ladies I dove with all carried their own gear... no preferential treatment. We would rig up on shore, wade out and add weights on-board. After rinsing I left my BCD, regulators (attached to the BCD), fins and rash skin hanging with the resort gear in the dive shop every day/night. Trusted the staff and hut more than the provided external lockers and the wimpy luggage locks on them. Like another here I hauled my camera and computer down with me.

CN had switched to 9 & 10:30am dives as well which meant a quick stop at the beach to pick up tanks and new divers before heading back out. Love this arrangement since I was typically back having lunch with my GF and enjoying a drink by 12:30 after getting two dives in

I've been seeing some pictures of Swept Away lately, and the dive boat seems like it's a different boat from the last couple of years. Is the 46' white Newton gone or just in for service? Will be there in about 7 weeks and just wondering what I'll be diving from. Can't wait to get wet!!!

Can anyone confirm the current diving times at CTI I heard the other resorts have changed their times since the last time we went thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CanadaDan View Post
    I was at CN last week. The ladies I dove with all carried their own gear... no preferential treatment. We would rig up on shore, wade out and add weights on-board. After rinsing I left my BCD, regulators (attached to the BCD), fins and rash skin hanging with the resort gear in the dive shop every day/night. Trusted the staff and hut more than the provided external lockers and the wimpy luggage locks on them. Like another here I hauled my camera and computer down with me.

CN had switched to 9 & 10:30am dives as well which meant a quick stop at the beach to pick up tanks and new divers before heading back out. Love this arrangement since I was typically back having lunch with my GF and enjoying a drink by 12:30 after getting two dives in

We're at CN March break, our forth trip. I like the new dive times. Up early, get two dives in before lunch. Hoping to dive every day till the safety period before returning to the cold reality of eastern Canada.

Hello,

Heading to CTI and CSS for a split stay in May. The first week will be at CTI the second week at CSS. We just completed out open water certification and are looking forward to getting some dives logged. We have a couple questions. First we do not have our own gear other then masks, snorkels, wetsuits and dive computers (need to watch some videos on how to use the computers as we bought them after taking the course) and we plan on bringing all that with us. So first question is are the fins at the dive shops open or closed heel? I would assume open but don't know as we have never dove anywhere outside certification. If they are open does the dive shop have booties or should I purchase them before our trip? If I need to purchase booties and recommendations? just don't want sores on the back of my ankles!!

Second question is about taking a class while there. We would like to take at least one while there. Buoyancy is something that was not covered very much in the course we took and we could both benefit from some further instruction in this area. Anyone know how much it is to do the buoyancy specialty class while at CTI? Does anyone know how to contact the CTI dive team to ask about it? Would be nice to set it up for the first days we are there if possible to get it out of the way.

Thanks

Closed heel if you use theirs. Most computers are very easy to use and are water activated. We did not own computers for the first couple of years diving and there is no need to have them at Couples.

I would respectively disagree on there being no need for a dive computer at Couples. In 2013 a few divers in the group had one, myself and most of the rest of the group did not, only one of the computer divers noticed that the group had entered deco. This prompted me to bring my computer this last October and with the new schedule we basically ended up doing a 2 tank dive in the morning with a very short surface interval, just long enough to head back in and grab the "afternoon" group. 45 minutes into the second dive i started doing the dance with deco by coming up above the group. All of this happened imho because I was generally going deeper than the divemaster on that first dive where it was just me the divemaster and one other guy that was on Nitrox. I fulfilled my deco obligation and did my safety stop while the rest of the group surfaced. It wasn't much of a deco commitment but without the computer I would have been much deeper into deco.

Also on the "new schedule" at CN, it was a very fluid schedule in October. We were pretty much going out in the morning, diving then returning to pick up the afternoon group and either going right back out or waiting a short time and going back out. Then towards the end of the week a gentleman arrived that didn't like the back to back dives and they changed immediately back to the schedule on the board. They did allow the new schedule on my last day so that I could get a second dive in but the guy that didn't like the schedule had to agree to it.

We already bought the dive computers they are Cressi Leonardo's. We have however never used them so we need to find a you tube video or something to learn the basics and do any set up that might be needed. They came with a DVD not sure what's on it. Maybe it's a tutorial. Should probably check it out though. Anyway since we have them we will defiantly pack them for the trip. We are going to be checking a bag since we are bringing our wet suits so packing room should not be an issue for us.

Are all the resorts using closed heal fins? We do not have our own yet so will be using the resort fins. We have never used the closed heal but I assume there is no need to wear booties with them is that correct?

Anyone know what it would cost to take a buoyancy class at CTI? With just our certification dives under our belt I would like to take one class while there and buoyancy was not covered all that well in our course. As important as it is to diving it seems like we should have covered it more. Other then a few minutes in the pool and the book work it was not mentioned at all.

i have a question regarding diving at couples.. it says you receive complimentary dive instructions and gear to dive during your stay; then it says certified divers can go on one dive per day.. finding it confusing. if you are not certified, do i understand correctly that you get complimentary lessons and can dive using their equipment (are these organized/group dives?)

BRIDGETNRICK Here's some clarity for you. Couples offer a complimentary introduction to Scuba resort course. They will do a briefing about scuba, some lessons in the pool and then take you on a shallow dive. Usually around 30 feet. Couples will supply all the equipment you will need. They allow one per guest. For all certified divers all the scuba is included and complimentary. They offer guests the opportunity to get certified while there as well. I believe the open water certification is $365 It includes all your books, lessons, training and you will do 4 dives before you get certified. After that its a whole new world out there. They have great Dive Masters at all Couple resorts. Hope this helps! Enjoy Scuba Steve

BRIDGETNRICK I stand corrected. Just talked to CSA. The pool course is free and if you wish to do the boat dive it costs $50.

I am scuba certified but haven't been diving in about 10 years. Do they have any kind of refresher course at CN or is that something I need to do before I come?

Uvawahoo22 Yes they will have a pool refresher course that you will have to complete. Its always good to do if you have not been diving for some time. Helps with the confidence and allows the team to evaluate your skills and abilities. You can go to the Couples web page and also print off your medical questionnaire that you will have to complete before the course. Always good to complete it ahead of time. Hope this helps. Enjoy Couples Negril. They have a great dive team.

hello, we are new to couples. and would really like to scuba dive at csa. can you please clarify the swim test for csa. it seams to very from one couples resort to another.
    and that the test at csa is more difficult. im a bit out of shape and a former smoker i would like to make sure that i can do it before we leave for are trip.
    thank you.
    Last edited by sweaver1932; March 12th, 2016 at 11:04 AM.

Someone on TripAdvisor posted that scuba wasn't available at CSA on the weekend. Is that true? Something new? I know it was available 2x a day all the other times we've been there.

Blog Entries

Hi lvmcgill,

We offer certified divers diving seven (7) days a week. If poster was referring to classes, those are 5 days per week- Mondays-Fridays. The exception to this is if we have bad weather.

Regards,
    Michelle Gordon
    ------------------
    On-Island Social Media Coordinator
    Couples Resorts

hello, we are new to couples. and would really like to scuba dive at csa. can you please clarify the swim test for csa. it seams to very from one couples resort to another.
    and that the test at csa is more difficult. im a bit out of shape and a former smoker i would like to make sure that do it before we leave for are trip.
    thank you.

Blog Entries

HI sweaver1932,

Swim test varies depending on the resort. All resorts have a different size pool so test distance will vary depending on the size pool you are using.
    Michelle Gordon
    ------------------
    On-Island Social Media Coordinator
    Couples Resorts

Default First time visitor to CN and Scuba

We just booked our first trip to CN and we are leaving next month so there isn't much time to plan. The first thing I did after booking the trip was come here and do some reading about getting OW certified. I have been studying for the certification and have taken a few online tests and at this point I am comfortable with taking the written tests. From what I have read you can take the written test here and then complete a smaller written test at CN to confirm you are OW certified, is that accurate? Or would that only be the case if I was already certified here? I guess a better question would be should I just wait and get all the testing done when I get to CN or should I try to knock out as much training here first? I am in Pennsylvania so when it comes to my water dive it would be in a quarry here but I imagine that's gonna be pretty cold in March, even with a wet suite. But we will only have 5 days in CN (Monday-Friday). It is my first experience with an "on land" all inclusive type of vacation so I didn't want to commit for too long on our first trip. I am sure I will love it and want to stay longer, but this is just to get our feet wet...literally..

Anyway, thank you for the help so far this forum alone is a huge help. Any further help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Default First time visitor to CN and Scuba

We just booked our first trip to CN and we are leaving next month so there isn't much time to plan. The first thing I did after booking the trip was come here and do some reading about getting OW certified, then I started studying. I have taken a few practice tests online and at this point I am comfortable with taking the written tests. From what I have read you can take the written test here and then complete a smaller written test at CN to confirm you are OW certified, is that accurate? Or would that only be the case if I was already certified here? I guess a better question would be should I just wait and get all the testing done when I get to CN or should I try to knock out as much training here first? I am in Pennsylvania so when it comes to the open water dive it would be in a quarry here but I imagine that's gonna be pretty cold in March, even with a wet suite. We will only have 5 days in CN (Monday-Friday) so I am not sure if thats enough time to do all the training there. It is my first experience with an "on land" all inclusive type of vacation so I didn't want to commit for too long on our first trip. I am sure I will love it and want to stay longer, but this trip is just to get our feet wet...literally..

Anyway, thank you for the help so far this forum alone is a huge selling point for the resort. Any further help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

We took our OW at home already and are doing our Advanced OW next month before we leave in May. For us we just decided we did not want to waste any vacation time studying and taking tests. So for me I would at least do a tropical referral at home first. You could knock out the pool training, book work and tests before you leave then get straight to the diving on vacation. They may have you do some pool work just to verify your skills before the dives but still no studying and test taking. Just my 2cents worth.

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast