Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
Results 151 to 175 of 349
  1. #151

    Default

    My husband and I are first time divers and will be arriving in Negril in just over a month. What will we need to do to be able to dive? How many dives will we be able to do?

  2. #152

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by berckt View Post
    OK, I have read this entire thread and have found the answer to my question. I am SDI certified and have all of my personal dive equipment. We will be going to CSA in the middle of July and I would like to get a few dives in while I can in the warm Caribbean water. I will need to rent a BCD, regulators, tank, and computer. Is there somewhere I can look to find the rental costs. I also have a 5 mm semi dry suit. I would rather not bring it, so is it possible to dive with no wet suit in July, or is it recommended to at least don a lightweight shortie.
    Couples supplies everything except for the wet suit and dive computer. You can rent a wet suit but they do not rent computers. You are also free to bring any of your own equipment. We will be bringing our own BCD's this trip although the ones they provide are perfectly fine. We never felt the water was cold enough to need the wetsuit even at 130' but everyone is different. Now if you want a wetsuit for protection I would go thin as I would be too warm in anything too thick. We also bring our own mask, snorkel and fins but all can be provided if you don't want to pack them. Enjoy the trip.

  3. #153

    Default

    You will do the resort dive, which is free for the first one, and it's just a few hours in the morning. Since you are not certified, you will need to pay for additional dives. If you like the Intro dive, just get certified there. It is very cheap, easy, and not too time consuming to do at the resort. The CN dive guys are some of the best guys around, and they'll get you through it pretty quickly.
    "Brutalize me with music..."

    CN: 11/2007, 11/2010, 11/2011, 11/2013, 11/2015, 11/2016, 11/2017, 11/2018

  4. #154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Iowahawkeyes View Post
    Couples supplies everything except for the wet suit and dive computer. You can rent a wet suit but they do not rent computers. You are also free to bring any of your own equipment. We will be bringing our own BCD's this trip although the ones they provide are perfectly fine. We never felt the water was cold enough to need the wetsuit even at 130' but everyone is different. Now if you want a wetsuit for protection I would go thin as I would be too warm in anything too thick. We also bring our own mask, snorkel and fins but all can be provided if you don't want to pack them. Enjoy the trip.
    Thank you. I will be bringing all of my own personal dive equipment, mask, fins, and snorkel. I will probably pickup a computer before we go, this way I have time to familiarize myself with it. GBR

  5. #155

    Default

    Good morning, having a hard time finding the exact process for taking resort course and then diving for new divers. Coming to CN in October for honeymoon, thought about getting certified before coming but decided to wait and see how the Wife likes it. So if we take the resort course, how long does the course take to complete? When do we sign up for the course? Can we go on the daily shallow water dives or is it limited to one dive? Thank you for the help.

  6. #156

    Default

    If you mean the resort dive, that spans from 8:30am to 12:30pm. It's about 30-40 min underwater in the sea, the rest is instruction, and testing. The swim in the pool is cake, nobody failed it. (I thought it was 8 lengths of the giant pool) You sign up a day or two in advance. It was my first time, and it was fantastic. Dive depth is 40ft.

    If you want to dive more than 1 day, you might consider scuba diver certification. If you have that, you can dive every day if you want to. I think it's 2 or maybe 3 half hour dives, and a written test to get that. He said the cost was $250 and I surely would have done it given more days there. It would enable you to scuba anywhere you want up to 40ft. No more waiting through 3 hours of training you already know.

  7. #157

    Default Scuba Diving Schedule

    I am visiting CSS at the end of August and I am trying to get an idea of the likely schedule of activities so that my wife can plan her tennis and sunbathing routine while I am off diving. Can anyone give me a heads up on the following:
    How many resort dives are there per day?
    Is there a fixed schedule of dives ie same times each day? I am AOW with 50+ dives logged.
    Are there additional dives available at extra charge or are they all, all inclusive?
    Is it advisable to bring a shorty wet suit?
    Thanks in advance and I look forward to meeting any divers travelling last week of August and fist week September.

  8. #158

    Default

    Mufty, I can only help with some of this, but I suspect others will chime in. Typically, there is one dive in the morning and one in the afternoon (at CSA, they are, I think, at 8:30 and 1:00). If CSS is like CSA, there may be a few mornings each week that require an AOW certification; there may also be one day (at CSA, Saturday), when they do a two-tank dive in the morning and no afternoon dive.

    There will also be a "Resort Dive" for non-certified divers; at CSA, that goes out between the morning and afternoon dive. Typically, I do not think they allow certified divers to go on that dive.

    Other than that, I am not aware of any other daytime diving, free or otherwise. There is, however, the opportunity to do a night dive at an additional cost. I think it was around $50 and left at about dusk. They will only run the night dive if there is enough interest.

    Finally, you will see everything from a bathing suit to a rash guard to a shorty, but I think that in August and September, unless you tend to get cold when you dive, it is unlikely you will need a wet suit.

    (Note that while I did one dive at CSS during a short stay in 2013, all of my other diving has been at CSA, and it's possible there may be some key differences between resorts, so hopefully someone with CSS specific information will also chime in.)

  9. #159

    Default

    This question has been asked but I have missed the answer. I will be finishing my SDI open water diver course soon. Our trip is scheduled for first week in August 2015 at Tower Isle.
    1) Am I confused with the terminology between PADI and SDI? Will I be able to dive? How deep?
    2) I read no rental of dive computers there. Should I buy/bring my own? I will have mask, fins, snorkel.
    3) Any other recommended equipment to bring?

  10. #160

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zorbarick View Post
    Mufty, I can only help with some of this, but I suspect others will chime in. Typically, there is one dive in the morning and one in the afternoon (at CSA, they are, I think, at 8:30 and 1:00). If CSS is like CSA, there may be a few mornings each week that require an AOW certification; there may also be one day (at CSA, Saturday), when they do a two-tank dive in the morning and no afternoon dive.

    There will also be a "Resort Dive" for non-certified divers; at CSA, that goes out between the morning and afternoon dive. Typically, I do not think they allow certified divers to go on that dive.

    Other than that, I am not aware of any other daytime diving, free or otherwise. There is, however, the opportunity to do a night dive at an additional cost. I think it was around $50 and left at about dusk. They will only run the night dive if there is enough interest.

    Finally, you will see everything from a bathing suit to a rash guard to a shorty, but I think that in August and September, unless you tend to get cold when you dive, it is unlikely you will need a wet suit.

    (Note that while I did one dive at CSS during a short stay in 2013, all of my other diving has been at CSA, and it's possible there may be some key differences between resorts, so hopefully someone with CSS specific information will also chime in.)
    Thanks Zorbarick, that's useful info. I have enough padding around me already for insulation so I'll take your advice and leave the shorty at home.

  11. #161

    Default

    I dove at CSS in April 2015. I am OW certified. There two certified dives each day at 9:00 and 1:00, there was a two tank dive on Saturday. Worked great for me, my wife is not a diver. However, she likes to sleep late and take an afternoon nap. Although some dives may be labelled as advanced, they are geared toward the lowest level of certification that signed up. This is going to be around 60 ft. To be honest, the best dive is at the sunken ship. This is actually a shallow dive (40 ft), but you get to check out the ship and swim under the reef.

    To answer your other questions. These dives are included on a first come basis. There is a night dive that cost extra. I have never been on this dive, but have heard good things. They will provide you with mask, fins, and bcd (I bring my own mask and fins). They rent wet suits. However, I have never needed more than a rash guard and board shorts.

    Keep in mind, this is not a hard core dive vacation. It is Jamaica and everything is "no problem man". I dove at CSA in 2013 and 2014. I can tell you the dive teams at both resorts are great. They are fun, friendly and just want you to enjoy your stay.

  12. #162

    Default

    I have also found Blusmart cameras SJ4000 that show many of the same features and attributives that the GO PRO have. Except the SJ4000 sold for much less, $89 on amazon. I will be trying on on a couple dived next week. I try to keep you posted

  13. #163

    Default

    We signed up to get SSI open water certified! When we get to CTI and CSS in December we will be ready to rock and roll!!!

  14. #164

    Default

    Have a question. Do we need to get dive computers? We don't really plan on diving outside of couples at this point. I see that couples does not have them to rent or anything. Having not even taken the course yet I don't know if they are mandatory or if we are ok without them diving with the Dive Masters at the resort. Looks like it would run about 500 bucks to get a pair of them. Lot of money to spend if we don't need them.

  15. #165

    Default

    Most people that dive at couples do not use dive computers, at least that has been our experience. You will not be out of place without one. I'm slowly adding to my dive gear collection and a computer is next but I've been diving for a couple years without one.

  16. #166

    Default

    You won't need a computer at a Couples resort. The Divemaster, and others in the group will have them. At the decomp. stop, I just use my depth gauge and hang at 15 ft. The Divemaster will signal when it is time to surface.

  17. #167

    Default

    Sounds great. Thanks for the info. We have looked at some dive computers but the pricing is fairly high on even the most basic units. If we decide to keep diving after our trip (I have a suspicion we will even if only at couples) we will probably pick them up at some point.

  18. #168

    Default

    We started with a couple a low cost dive watches. Thats all you need to be able to keep your log up to date and track your dives. We did get computers as we progressed.

  19. #169

    Default

    My husband and I are looking forward to our stay at Tower Isle in early September. We are both OW certified PADI divers. For this trip we were planning to just enjoy the many snorkeling adventures offered but are now wondering if we should dive too. Here are my questions to you that have already made the trip:

    -Does the CTI facility require NITROX certification for dives. If so, is it offered, how long is the instruction and the cost?
    -What types of dives are offered at CTI? Any sunken vessels, caves?
    -While I am asking I might as well include a request for advice on favorite snorkeling adventures offered?

    Thanks to anyone that takes the time to respond and if you are visiting the first week of September please say HI.

  20. #170

    Default

    Hi MNYPNNY007

    The last time we were at CTI was before it was revamped, which has made it look even more fabulous than before, but I took my OW course there and have dived at CTI the next time we went and also the third time to CSS.
    As far as I was aware there is no requirement for a Nitrox cert as the most depth was down to 35M if you were certified to that depth.
    There are numerous dives offered but only one wreck site and not what you would call any caves, just some outcrops were you could swim through.
    Can't offer too much on the snorkling trips as we only went on one trip from CSS, but very pleasant and very safe.
    Hope this helps and I'm sure people that have been recently would have some more up to date info.
    If Collin is still there at CTI, give him a Hi from Peter and Norma from Lowestoft, UK.

  21. #171

    Default

    Hi Peter & Norma, I will be sure to give Collin your best. Thank you for taking time to reply. The information is very helpful. We are very thrilled for our holiday! We had a dive honeymoon last September in the Bahamas and got to dive the wrecks from James Bond movies. It was fabulous! I am anticipating more adventure in Jamaica. Thanks again from Faye & Louis Memphis TN USA

  22. #172

    Default

    Once again the CSA dive team did a fabulous job and we had great dives with them. On the 2 tank dive Saturday Aug 15th we had a dolphin show up and when we were on the boat between dives. The dive master spotted it and captain knew how to get the dolphin to swim in the wake just off the bow and we all got a great show. While surfacing after our 2nd dive the dolphin came back to check us out. One person from our group and one of the dive team stayed down about 5' and had a really good view of the dolphin circling us and the boat. Most of us were on the surface and put our masks and respirators back on so we could put our faces back in the water to watch the dolphin. Amazing!! All of this was because of the knowledge, experience and quick thinking of our dive master, dive team and boat captain. Thank you all for making this dive one of the most memorable for my husband and I. Can't wait to get back and dive you again soon. You are the BEST!
    Karon and Dave

  23. #173

    Default

    Hello! My husband and I will be celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary at CSA in a few weeks. It is our first time to Couples, and our first time back to Jamaica since our honeymoon 30 years ago! We are certified divers, having received our certification through PDIC (http://www.pdic-intl.com) back in 1988 (or thereabouts). For a while life got in the way of diving (kids, work, etc.), but last September we took a refresher course in Mexico and was once again in the water after about 25 years. When we received our certification there were not the levels of certification that PADI is now offering. Our open water certification allows us to dive to 100 feet. So I am a bit confused (and concerned) about the deeper dives that CSA takes (80-100 feet) which are 'advanced only.' We do plan on doing a good bit of diving and don't want to be limited based on the lack of 'advanced' status (or forced to spend more $$ to get a certification to dive at depths that our certification already allows us). So, can someone help me out here? Are we going to be limited because we don't have a "PADI Advanced" certification?

    Thanks so much in advance for your help, and for all of your contributions! This message board is awesome!

  24. #174

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun02 View Post
    Hello! My husband and I will be celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary at CSA in a few weeks. It is our first time to Couples, and our first time back to Jamaica since our honeymoon 30 years ago! We are certified divers, having received our certification through PDIC (http://www.pdic-intl.com) back in 1988 (or thereabouts). For a while life got in the way of diving (kids, work, etc.), but last September we took a refresher course in Mexico and was once again in the water after about 25 years. When we received our certification there were not the levels of certification that PADI is now offering. Our open water certification allows us to dive to 100 feet. So I am a bit confused (and concerned) about the deeper dives that CSA takes (80-100 feet) which are 'advanced only.' We do plan on doing a good bit of diving and don't want to be limited based on the lack of 'advanced' status (or forced to spend more $$ to get a certification to dive at depths that our certification already allows us). So, can someone help me out here? Are we going to be limited because we don't have a "PADI Advanced" certification?

    Thanks so much in advance for your help, and for all of your contributions! This message board is awesome!
    Curious for the answer to this one. I am in similar situation. Certification is through SDI

  25. #175

    Default Boarding dive boat at CSS

    I am visiting CSS in early September. I wish to SCUBA dive with my wife. Can anyone tell me if there is a pier to pick up the divers, or do you have to swim / wade into the water?? My wife is not comfortable wading in to the boat. If there is no pier, how far is the boat before boarding??

    Thanks in advance for any info.

    James

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •