Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Hi all. I am new to diving and I am going to do my 1st 2 dives to get my scuba diver cert. I did the resort course last September and loved it. I live in upstate NY and the high temperature for tomorrow is going to be 62 and we start diving at 10. I am going to imagine that I am in the Caribbean. Maybe it will keep me warm LOL. I can't wait to dive at CSS in April. Hopefully I won't float down the river never to be found.

jhenderson,
    I am in upstate NY too, I did my certification in Lake Erie. I dove there as far into November. Students were wearing wetsuits, the instructor was wearing a drysuit. Both areas have their pros and cons, although the water temperature in Jamaica can't be beat!
    -Jason
    CSS/SSB October 2010, 2012, 2014, and coming home October 6-15, 2017!

The dives were great. The air temp was 55 and the water at the surface was 68. The water was a lot warmer so we didn't want to get out between dives. the water was a lot clearer than I thought it would be. I ended up getting the open water certification instead of just the scuba diver cert. I can't wait to get to CSS in April to dive again. I am hooked now and look forward to getting some more advanced training and go on more dives.

Hello everyone! We are planning a trip to CTI and have a few questions. We have never been diving but defiantly want to try it. We plan on getting our certification here at home before we make the trip. Ok so on to some of the basic questions we have.
    1. When is the best time to visit for diving or is it all a good time?
    2. Are the amount of dives limited on a trip or just limited to once per day?
    3. What certification do we need is it the OW or the AOW?
    4. Anything else we should know about diving at the resort.

Would also appreciate any recommendations on a underwater camera that's not to expensive but will take decent pic's.

Thanks
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by wallace02mgd View Post
    Hello everyone! We are planning a trip to CTI and have a few questions. We have never been diving but defiantly want to try it. We plan on getting our certification here at home before we make the trip. Ok so on to some of the basic questions we have.
    1. When is the best time to visit for diving or is it all a good time?
    2. Are the amount of dives limited on a trip or just limited to once per day?
    3. What certification do we need is it the OW or the AOW?
    4. Anything else we should know about diving at the resort.

Would also appreciate any recommendations on a underwater camera that's not to expensive but will take decent pic's.

Thanks
    Ian
    1) I would say any time is a good time to visit! The water is warm year round, so no worries there.
    2) At CN, there were two dives per day, and you could go on both of them if you signed up. Not sure about CTI. Keep in mind your departure flight time for your last dive.
    3) Open water will allow you to go on the dives, Advanced Open Water might allow you a different group of dive sites, depending on the other divers.
    4) If you have your own gear, you are welcome to bring it. we brought our own masks, snorkels, and fins.

Most of the waterproof camera's are only rated to about 30-50 feet. You will most likely see depths greater than this, specially if you are AOW certified. The best option is to look for a standard camera, and then get the associated case (canon or Ikelite). One thing to keep in mind is that if you are just starting off, you might not want to worry about a camera while you are diving.

Have fun becoming SCUBA certified!!!
    _____
    CN 6/12
    CN 7/13
    Next Trip ???

Thanks for the information. Didn't think about the camera not being a good idea for beginners that's a good point. We do want to get our certification before we go and not do the referral program and have to worry about it down there. Not sure if we will do any other dives before heading to CTI. I think they said there where four dives in the open water course. So it's possible we will only have four dives in by the time we get there. Will have to see how it goes. If we are to green to worry about a camera hopefully someone else there will have one and they can download pictures for us. Guess we will see after our class if we are comfortable enough to buy a camera for the trip.

I think that you should get a camera if you think that in the long run you will be diving often or even if you can even just afford the cost. You can always go on your first dive or two without it, but the reality is you can get a point and shoot (dummy proof) with a casing and weights to make it neutrally buoyant and you just slip a loop around your wrist and it is attached to you so you don't need to worry about it. When I forgot my camera on the surface or ran out of batteries underwater I have regretted it.

I have a Canon point and shoot that I didn't know when I got it has an underwater mode. I bought the housing which was more expensive than the camera itself. What I don't like about this is the camera is almost dead and the housing does not fit any other model of camera and Canon discontinued what I have. When I go in a few weeks I am going to borrow a GoPro camera which I have heard awesome things about and have used on land and in a pool and the results have been great.

A few SCUBA questions. My gf and I are coming to Negril this January. I am OW certified. She has never dove before. Shes also extremely nervous (new situation anxiety). The PLAN is to have her do the resort dive (with me tagging along of course!), hope she loves it, then get her certified there.

So my questions:

Are the resort dives only on certain days?
    Does the certification class require advance reservations? Is it sometimes full and it's recommended? Or is there always space?
    How long/how much time does the certification class take up? How much classroom time, and how much pool time? She expressed... nervousness... that she'd be spending days in classes and missing the relaxation! I have all my books still which she can read and get pretty up to speed with before we get there.

Thanks all!

Mattfahey -

I have had two Canon cameras, both with underwater housings, that we have used while scuba diving. They took pretty decent pictures and video, but the underwater housings are expensive. Also, I always purchased a new o-ring before each trip, which is just another cost. We went to Cozumel in August and I purchased a Canon Powershot D30 to use there. It is waterproof to 82 feet (we actually went to 93 feet and no leakage). It is small, you can slip it inside the front of your wetsuit, and is a very pretty blue color. They cost $299. Ken has a Gopro that he has used, but likes the Canon D30 more.

Sawfish -

Wow! I am jealous - 25 trips to Jamaica! We have trip #6 booked for December and trip #7 booked for April, 2015.

benkart1,
    I did both my OW cert and my AOW certification at CSS. I did the coursework online for the OW and then just did the dive work at CSS, which was two days with pool time one day and then OW dives the next. The online class allows you to work at your own pace as quickly as you can, but be prepared to re-take the final test at the resort.
    I emailed the dive pros before arrival to give them a head's up that I was doing my dive cert, but I don't think it was actually necessary. They had everything there already. The classes are quick, and generally just a few hours each morning in my experience - the AOW was me reading my book and just doing the dives and at the end I went through and took all of the quizzes.
    I imagine it depends on the resort, but at CSS they offered the cert dives every day.
    Good luck and I hope your GF has a great time!

How is the Powershot to use on land? I would like to get another point and shoot, but would like something that can multitask. I am concerned that I have gone max. 110 at CSS and don't want to bank on it not failing.

So cannon with case, D30, or go-pro. I will look into all of these and see what strikes my fancy. Anyone else?

Quote Originally Posted by cjfish View Post
    How is the Powershot to use on land? I would like to get another point and shoot, but would like something that can multitask. I am concerned that I have gone max. 110 at CSS and don't want to bank on it not failing.
    The D30 Powershot worked fine above the water also.

I am going to be at CSS next week and have always wanted to try diving. Any advice on doing e-learning for open water and getting certified at CSS? Is this a realistic idea?

Robnamy - that is exactly what I did for both my Open Water and my Advanced Open Water. You do all the online, take the test, and have it referred to the dive shop at CSS. They will have you re-take the test and then over two days you get your certification. After that you can dive daily (I did and do!). Good luck, and we will see you in a few days!

Coming to CSA and CN in Jan/Feb, we had an awesome time diving at CN in 2013, this time we´re bringing our own kit.... Can we use our DIN regulators ? or do they have to be A clam

cjfish
    Do you know the website or have a link to do the online work? Is it best to do this part before arriving? Hubby wants to get certified and the more I read about it I'm thinking I want to as well

A question for all of you who have dove a lot in the Caribbean. Do you wear a wetsuit and if so what kind? I am thinking about getting one and I was looking for advice. I was thinking about a 3mm but wasn't sure if a shorty or a full suit would be better for the warmer waters. I will most likely dive in or areas of the Caribbean as well. Thank you for any help.

It kind of depends on the location, time of year and water temperature for me. I will wear a shorty wet suit with a full body skin under it, when the water temperature is less then 82 and I am on a dive anywhere below 50 feet. When the water is warmer or I am going to be on dives less then 50 feet I usually just wear the skin, mostly for protection from jelly fish and accidentally rubbing against corral. But that is my preference, you should go what you are comfortable with. I have never taken my cold water 1/4" wet suit to the Caribbean I saved it for the quarries and lakes here in and around Ohio. Is good mon, and only 13 days and a bag drag till Couples Swept Away.

I did a 30 ft dive here after the pool test and really enjoyed it (@CSA) I will be back here next week and I am wondering if I have to do the pool certification again or if the staff has my certification there and will allow me to go on another dive without re taking the test?

I just got a GoPro3+ and am really excited to use it. Last time I went I didn't see so much aquatic life but since it was my first scuba dive I was a bit preoccupied making sure I was doing everything correctly. This time I want to focus more on really experiencing the dive itself.

I'll be at CTI in 31 days!!!! How is the diving at CTI? This is my second trip to CTI, but I didn't do any diving last year since it was my honeymoon.

Michael, The pool certification is for the resort introductory to scuba and is not a certification. Therefore in order to dive you will have to complete the pool portion again. The staff at CSA may remember you but it is Padi policy unless you are a certified diver. If you are there for a week maybe think of getting certified. You wil always have it and Anthony and his staff will make the process painless and it will allow for a lot more dives! Enjoy Scuba and Enjoy CSA. 40 more days. Scuba Steve Soon Come

Diving video from Sans Souci with Nicholas.
    Camera Sealife DC1400
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67Xb_dloZ8Q
    David and Angela
    CTI - April 2011
    CSS - Sep 2011, Jan 2012, Oct 2012, May 2013, April 2014, Sep 2014 (Booked)
    Negril - May 2012, Nov 2013

What is the cost to get PADI certification at couples? The online PADI course is $146 but that seems like a waste if the classroom portion is covered in the cert while at couples. I have dual PADI/SSI cert and have all my materials for both for my GF to review (before we get to CN in Jan) and would rather not waste the money on the online part if it's not necessary if getting certified at CN.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast