Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Our group is looking forward to a return trip to CN and diving with Richard and the crew at the dive hut.

Is Carl still the dive shop manager at Couples-CN?
    You can't lay on the beach and drink rum all day, if you don't get started in the morning!

Quote Originally Posted by Sawfish View Post
    Is Carl still the dive shop manager at Couples-CN?
    He was when we were there in January 2014.

Thanks.
    You can't lay on the beach and drink rum all day, if you don't get started in the morning!

I am a 66 year old diver that has been diving for 15 years. It was something that I always wanted to do, but never had the opportunity until we were on vacation in Jamaica. With a free resort course, what did I have to lose? I went on a night dive, and the Divemaster (Sugar) seemed a little miffed that an overweight (6'1" 265 lbs) fifty one year old newbie was tagging along with a group half his age. After the dive he asked me "...are you sure that you have never done this before? You are very comfortable in the water. Have you thought about getting certified...".

I thought it was probably just a sales pitch, but he seemed sincere. So, I enrolled in the open water class at CN, and we extended our vacation, so I could complete the advanced OW course. I was really fired up when I got back to the states, and signed up for the Rescue Diver course at the LDS. After that a number of specialty courses; completion of the Master Scuba Diver requirements, and the DAN DES course. Although I am not a "practicing" DM, I completed my DM course at CN in the face of Hurricane Ivan. My wife was very p*****d because my main concern was the fear that my completed DM course documents might blow away.

We will be returning to CN on September 6th. This will be our 25th trip to Jamaica. We have stayed at Sans Souci, Tower Isle and at CN, which is far and away our favorite. We also celebrated our thirtieth anniversary in July, and both agree that "One Love" has helped us through the rough spots that all couples experience. Irie!

Default Cti

Our Dive at CTI, Hopefully I did this adding picture thing right. We love the things we see at CTI; Squids, eagle rays, nurse shark, puffer fish, eels, and everything in between. Plus the crew is amazing with people like me who are hesitant to go and they make you feel like without you the dive wouldn't be the same. I truly love the CTI dive crew and hope the ones that were there in 2009 and 2010 are still there.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Sawfish,
    We're also from OC and we'll be diving at CN 9/1-9/8, our annual Labor Day trip. Have you been at this time previously?

My wife and I were there with friends in June and while there I and the wife in our friend's couple were certified! I fell in love with diving on the introductory trip - it is incredible - and this from someone who was a horrible swimmer and afraid of the water. Once I made the transition to the scuba tank and fins the fear was gone and I love the water now! Looking forward to many more dive adventures!!

mich, welcome aboard!!!

We just booked to go home for 15 days in September! It has been two years, and our 11th trip the CN. We are Rescue Divers with a few hundred dives, and are Nitrox certified - there was no Nitrox in the past. Does anybody know what the charge (if any) there is for Nitrox? With the length of the dives there, it has never been a problem to come up with half a tank, but we are never as tired after diving on Nitrox.

Looking forward to seeing anybody else that will be there from the 14th -29th.

I never noticed the policy that says that Certified divers can do the morning dive, but only do the afternoon dive if there is space - is that a new policy? We have almost never had full boats there, so maybe it just never came up!

Thanks Sugar #1, amazing experience and my PADI at CN

Default Nitrox is available

Quote Originally Posted by AZMikeJan View Post
    We just booked to go home for 15 days in September! It has been two years, and our 11th trip the CN. We are Rescue Divers with a few hundred dives, and are Nitrox certified - there was no Nitrox in the past. Does anybody know what the charge (if any) there is for Nitrox? With the length of the dives there, it has never been a problem to come up with half a tank, but we are never as tired after diving on Nitrox.

I never noticed the policy that says that Certified divers can do the morning dive, but only do the afternoon dive if there is space - is that a new policy? We have almost never had full boats there, so maybe it just never came up!
    When I was there in November, 2013, the cost was $15 per tank for EAN. As for the policy quoted above, wasn't an issue for any of our diving group last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary_and_Patti View Post
    Sawfish,
    We're also from OC and we'll be diving at CN 9/1-9/8, our annual Labor Day trip. Have you been at this time previously?
    Sorry for the delayed response, we have been in Louisiana for the past week. We usually go to JA each year from late August through Mid-September. The resorts are less crowded and the rates are down. Lots of people are afraid to go this time of the year because it is "Hurricane Season", but it has not been a problem on most of our trips. This will be our 25th trip to Jamaica, and our 14th to CN (I may be off 1or 2, but I am sure my wife will correct me on the count). Our daughter got married at CN in 2005, and we were there when Ivan hit in 2004. Couples Negril took a direct hit, and came through pretty much unscathed. Despite its old appearance, the resort is fairly new, and is constructed to withstand rough weather. The staff is well trained in Hurricane Procedures, and knew exactly what they were doing in preparing the resort for the storm. No power, no water, no problem. The kitchen staff was serving three hot meals a day, as soon as the storm passed. See you on Bubbles. Ask Richard, Carl, or Sugar to point me out.

Quote Originally Posted by AZMikeJan View Post

CN had Nitrox a few years back, but the cost was excessive ($30), so it never succeeded. The afternoon dive for certified divers is based on how many people are taking classes at that time, and is simply a space factor. There is a two tank dive for certified divers only on Saturday. Nitrox is not a real plus at CN with the time and depth of the dives, but it definitely helps you avoid fatigue. I am also a Rescue Diver, and have all of my certs, as well as a DM and DES ratings, but I really enjoy the diving in Jamaica. Especially at CN. I will be leaving on the 16th, but might get in a dive with you before we leave.

Dive team at CSA is top notch! We have been diving 2x with them now. Can't wait till Feb 21, 2015 to dive again for a week!
    Name:  1501016_10151955753546464_184705591_o.jpg
Views: 1891
Size:  214.3 KB

Tammie & Mike
    CTI-Feb'08/CSA-Dec'08/CSA&CN-Mar'11
    CSS Mar'12/CSA Nov '12/CSA Dec '13/CSA Feb '15

Dolphins 12/15/13 afternoon dive at CSA.
    Name:  dolphins.jpg
Views: 1925
Size:  256.9 KB

Tammie & Mike
    CTI-Feb'08/CSA-Dec'08/CSA&CN-Mar'11
    CSS Mar'12/CSA Nov '12/CSA Dec '13/CSA Feb '15

Sawfish,
    No worries, We were wondering if we met you on a previous trip. This will be our 14th trip to CN, most of them over Labor Day.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary_and_Patti View Post
    Sawfish,
    No worries, We were wondering if we met you on a previous trip. This will be our 14th trip to CN, most of them over Labor Day.
    Very possible. Hope you are having a good time. See you Saturday, or Sunday on Bubbles.

Sawfish - we hope to meet up with you!

Does anyone know If you can do the Advanced open water course on referral at CTI ? Cant seem to find anywhere to contact the dive club on here

When we went to CSA in 2010 we completed the "PADI Scuba Diver" certification. We are going back in 2015 and have not done any diving since then (as I was pregnant on our last trip to CSA). We obviously need a refresher course! My question is- does this certification expire? Will we just be able to do the resort course, and then dive as much as we want throughout the week? Will we have to pay extra for a refresher course?

When does the resort course normally run? We will probably arrive after they close for the day on Saturday, so is there even a course on Sundays or would we do it on the Monday?

My second question is- I felt quite seasick last time as the water was quite choppy. Is there anything recommended for this? I recall there are some restrictions on what drugs you can take before diving so I wanted to check and see what is safe.

Thank you!

Default when were you at cn. in may

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Looking forward to diving at CSA in two weeks! I dove at Negril during our engagement trip last May and it was great. Awesome boat, clear smooth water, and a short ride to the dive sites.

My fiance took the begining scuba class and really enjoyed it. It helped to get her over here initial fears of being underwater. Since that trip she has gotten her Closed Water certification in town, and will be completing the Open Water Referral at Couples. We're planning to use some of our resort credits to night dive together!
    I was diving can early may

How was your trip? How was the diving? Heading there in 4 weeks as Couples first timers (certified divers, tho). We're super excited. Your favorite dive spots?

Which resort, JosieDan?
    "Brutalize me with music..."

CN: 11/2007, 11/2010, 11/2011, 11/2013, 11/2015, 11/2016, 11/2017, 11/2018

Quote Originally Posted by dank120 View Post
    Which resort, JosieDan?
    Sorry, I am not usually this technically unsavvy. I tried to "reply" to someone's post and didn't do it right. We will be at CTI. Thanks!!

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast