Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by CN-on-the-brain View Post
    We did the resort dive and OW certification this past January at CN. I struggled in the pool and had issues with not being able to get my mask to seal, but the resort dive went well and the OW was good. Definitely a great comfort level in the water by the 4th dive. Wolfing down jerk chicken at the Beach Grill after a great dive is one of our favourite and most talked about memories. We're booking for January 2015 and can't wait to dive each day.

Attachment 22238

Hey all,

I am going to CSA to get married September 5th 2016!
    so excited, and I am excited to Dive. I am certified but my fiance is not. How deep are the dives? Also I have a little underwater camera but I am thinking of getting the gopro hero 3. Is this ok? Any suggestions from experienced divers? are filters advantageous?

Thank you!!

My bf and I will be doing the OW part of our certification when we are at Swept Away in July. Our scuba center in Colorado said something about taking a "referral form" to the resort to have them complete and bring it back to Denver to mail to PADI. That seemed unnecessary to me if the resort is PADI certified. Does someone know if the resort will mail our certification cards to our home when we complete the training? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by MrsJamison View Post
    Hey all,

I am going to CSA to get married September 5th 2016!
    so excited, and I am excited to Dive. I am certified but my fiance is not. How deep are the dives? Also I have a little underwater camera but I am thinking of getting the gopro hero 3. Is this ok? Any suggestions from experienced divers? are filters advantageous?

Thank you!!
    Congrats on the wedding! I always wish we had known this was an option when we got married. First off, the diving in Negril is super laid back and fun. The water is calm, clear and warm, and the dives typically range from 35'-65' with a couple deeper dives available. The reefs are very clean and healthy, and since they've done a good job of managing the lionfish population, the fish are getting more plentiful. The resort dive is free, so if your soon-to-be hubby is interested, he should give it a shot early in the trip. If he likes it, and you have time, getting certified at the resort is cheaper and quicker than it is back home. As for the camera, I've used a GoPro Hero 3 on our last two trips and it is pretty awesome. You should hop on Amazon and grab a monopod, as they are relatively cheap (less than $10), and make it much easier to use the camera. I use the Polar Pro red filter, as well, and it makes a big difference in the color. Here are some links to a couple Youtube videos I've posted from our trip last November:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zysndiy6PR4
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCcjN3-iriQ

Enjoy!
    "Brutalize me with music..."

CN: 11/2007, 11/2010, 11/2011, 11/2013, 11/2015, 11/2016, 11/2017, 11/2018

Quote Originally Posted by msmatlock View Post
    My bf and I will be doing the OW part of our certification when we are at Swept Away in July. Our scuba center in Colorado said something about taking a "referral form" to the resort to have them complete and bring it back to Denver to mail to PADI. That seemed unnecessary to me if the resort is PADI certified. Does someone know if the resort will mail our certification cards to our home when we complete the training? Thanks!
    When you do your OW cert dives, you need to get a referral form, because the classroom training and OW dives were not through the same center. You then mail those to PADI, and PADI will mail you the C-cards. Your center gave you the correct info. On another note, we are in Colorado as well. What center did you use?

Quote Originally Posted by dank120 View Post
    Congrats on the wedding! I always wish we had known this was an option when we got married. First off, the diving in Negril is super laid back and fun. The water is calm, clear and warm, and the dives typically range from 35'-65' with a couple deeper dives available. The reefs are very clean and healthy, and since they've done a good job of managing the lionfish population, the fish are getting more plentiful. The resort dive is free, so if your soon-to-be hubby is interested, he should give it a shot early in the trip. If he likes it, and you have time, getting certified at the resort is cheaper and quicker than it is back home. As for the camera, I've used a GoPro Hero 3 on our last two trips and it is pretty awesome. You should hop on Amazon and grab a monopod, as they are relatively cheap (less than $10), and make it much easier to use the camera. I use the Polar Pro red filter, as well, and it makes a big difference in the color. Here are some links to a couple Youtube videos I've posted from our trip last November:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zysndiy6PR4
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCcjN3-iriQ

Enjoy!

Thank you so much for your information!! Your videos look awesome! I love sea turtles <3

Shot.....Yes.

Thanks for the info! We used A-1 Scuba in Littleton, CO for our confined dives. We had a few friends that used their center and came highly recommended. Loved the experience. It was really fun! Looking forward to the OW dive experience!

I upgraded my certification at CSW this past May from OW to AOW, my new PADI card was sent to my home address. They also stamped my dive log book

Hello all!

First off I would like to mention my wife and I are excited to be traveling to CN in a few weeks. Second, I know I probably can read all post in the thread but 11 pages wow...lol...anyways we are looking to try the scuba diving out while we are there but before doing so I/we have a few questions/concerns.

1. My wife is not a good swimmer how much of a issue will this be trying to scuba dive? I know that swimming you try to stay a-float but scuba the goal is to sink right LOL.
    2. I wear contacts how will I need to go about this with scuba?
    3. What do we need to do and how does the scuba diving work so we can experience this and how often can we do it during our stay.

You'll love staying at CN- beautiful resort!!

To answer your questions:

1. There is a mandatory swim test that she will have to pass, it's (I believe) 6 lengths of the dive pool. While scuba is about sinking, it's about doing so in a controlled and safe manner, and being able to comfortably, and safely move around while under water. There is also a significant reliance on swimming to be able to surface safely, and get back to the boat once you do.

2. Contacts will be fine, you have a scuba mask on that if properly fit and cleared when required will not fill up with water an impact your vision.

3. The Discover Scuba course allows you to learn the basics, test out what you've learned in the pool, and then take your first ocean dive. It's included in your stay, but only once. You may be able to pay extra to go out on subsequent days. It's probably easier and cheaper to get your OW certification, then you can dive everyday, twice a day.

You made a great choice to try diving at CN. The scuba team there is our favorite in all of the Caribbean, which is one of the main reasons we keep returning.
    1) To dive, they will test your swimming skills by having you swim laps in the small dive-training pool. If she can't swim the laps, she won't be able to dive. It's important to have basic swimming skills, because diving is all about safety.
    2) You will just wear you contacts like normal. In fact, my wife usually wears glasses, but she puts in contacts when she dives.
    3) Here is the basic rundown: CN offers two options for beginners, the Discover Scuba Diving course (aka Resort Course) or Open Water (OW) Certification, which is a lifetime certification to dive anywhere in the world. The resort course is free to try one time during your stay at Couples. It takes place over a few hours one morning, and they show you the basics of diving in the pool, followed be an intro dive off the boat at one of the local reefs.
    If you want to do additional dives, you are better-off getting your OW certification. If you do the full OW certification, you will get in some "classroom" and pool time, learn more about the diving basics, and then you do four boat dives to various reefs (If you do this after the Resort Course, that dive counts as one of the four). The OW certification takes a couple days, but it doesn't take up too much time compared to a course in the US, is much cheaper, and once you're done, if you want to keep diving, you can do so on this and any subsequent trips, free of additional charge.

Hope you both get to try this out and like it. Scuba diving is a game changer!

Thank you all for your knowledge and help with my few questions I will let her know of the comments made and see where this will go for her. I know she can swim but its minimal, perhaps minimal enough to get by with.

NC... there is a distance your wife will have to swim, but there is no time limit she will have to do it in. Just tell her to relax.. and have fun! It's all about safety!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jrbskb View Post
    Just back from CN. The guys took great care of my wife and I. Even had the awesome luck of having a pod of dolphins swim with us. Susan is now hooked and loves diving
    Is Carl (not Sugar) still the dive shop manager at CN? Thanks.
    You can't lay on the beach and drink rum all day, if you don't get started in the morning!

We were unable to make it to CN last year due to a family illness, We will be returning to CN on August 24th. This will be our 26th trip to Jamaica, and we are on the countdown!
    You can't lay on the beach and drink rum all day, if you don't get started in the morning!

Quote Originally Posted by Sawfish View Post
    Is Carl (not Sugar) still the dive shop manager at CN? Thanks.
    Yes, Carl is still the manager

You made a great choice to try diving at CN. The scuba team there is our favorite in all of the Caribbean, which is one of the main reasons we keep returning.
    1) To dive, they will test your swimming skills by having you swim laps in the small dive-training pool. If she can't swim the laps, she won't be able to dive. It's important to have basic swimming skills, because diving is all about safety.
    2) You will just wear you contacts like normal. In fact, my wife usually wears glasses, but she puts in contacts when she dives.
    3) Here is the basic rundown: CN offers two options for beginners, the Discover Scuba Diving course (aka Resort Course) or Open Water (OW) Certification, which is a lifetime certification to dive anywhere in the world. The resort course is free to try one time during your stay at Couples. It takes place over a few hours one morning, and they show you the basics of diving in the pool, followed be an intro dive off the boat at one of the local reefs.
    If you want to do additional dives, you are better-off getting your OW certification. If you do the full OW certification, you will get in some "classroom" and pool time, learn more about the diving basics, and then you do four boat dives to various reefs (If you do this after the Resort Course, that dive counts as one of the four). The OW certification takes a couple days, but it doesn't take up too much time compared to a course in the US, is much cheaper, and once you're done, if you want to keep diving, you can do so on this and any subsequent trips, free of additional charge.

Hope you both get to try this out and like it. Scuba diving is a game changer!

Hey,

Do you know how much it is to get OW certified? we are going to CSA. Thanks!

Hey,

Do you know how much it is to get OW certified? we are going to CSA. Thanks!
    It's $365 per person for PADI Open Water certification, all-in. That includes the PADI training materials, all the gear rentals, dives, etc, and it only takes a couple days (not the whole days, of course). As a frame of reference, most places in the US will charge $375- $450, but that doesn't include gear rentals, and sometimes it doesn't include the PADI materials either. It also takes much longer, and, depending where you live, can take an additional trip to somewhere else for the actual open water dives - there are 4. They offer a toned-down certification, but it costs 2/3 the price for 1/2 the training, and a lot of places around the world will not accept that until you complete the other half, which, all-in, ends up costing a lot more. It is best to just knock out the full OW certification, because it is a lifetime certification, and you can use it anywhere in the world.
    Last edited by dank120; July 22nd, 2016 at 10:55 AM.

Yes, Carl is still the manager
    Thanks

Hey! 30 days until CSA!

Quick Questions- Do they provide new mouth pieces to each diver/snorkler or should I bring my own? Sorry, Microbiologist.

Hey! 30 days until CSA!

Quick Questions- Do they provide new mouth pieces to each diver/snorkler or should I bring my own? Sorry, Microbiologist.
    No, they do not provide new ones.

If you have your own gear, why not bring it? Atleast your reg. and snorkel.

My fiancé and I are new to Couples and to diving...is it mandatory to get the medical questionaire stamped by your doctor if you don't currently have any health issues? My fiancé does not have a primary care physician, as he never goes to the doctor, so with our trip being in less than 30 days, I'm getting worried! I didn't thoroughly read the part about the medical questionaire until this past weekend and the wording is a little unclear.

We did not have to get the medical questionnaire stamped by a doctor, we simply filled it out on site - granted we answered No to everything. I imagine if you have any of the issues listed you'll have to get professional clearance; but you may be able to do that through the resorts nurse as well.

If you answer yes to any of the questions you will need a release from a doctor. If none of the conditions apply to either of you then you should be allowed to dive.

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast