Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

We love taking the shuttle. Get to make a quick pit stop on the way to the resort for a tasty Red Stripe and a quick potty break. Rooms usually aren't ready till we get there anyways so need to rush.

This is why I like Couples shuttle to the resort- Several years ago we got on the bus to go to CN and met four new couples. We all hit it off immediately. We laughed and talked the whole way. We all decided to stop tand have a beer at a small place before we got to Couples. For the next week, we enjoyed each other's company so much! We still had our alone time of course but we sure had a blast with our new friends too.

Michael's On Time Taxi. We use him every year to take us from the airport to the resort. He charges between $50-60 each way. We usually just take the shuttle when we leave as we are in NO RUSH to get back home. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Inthesun View Post
    I can't believe that a private ride is cheaper/faster/more pleasant than the private plane. I'd do with either international air link or Timair.
    Timair, sitting in couples lounge in 20min.
    JAMBONY

Quote Originally Posted by Inthesun View Post
    I can't believe that a private ride is cheaper/faster/more pleasant than the private plane. I'd do with either international air link or Timair.
    You don't think a private ride is cheaper than a private plane? Last time we flew Montego Bay to CTI, it was over $600 round trip for my wife and I (and we were with another group of 4 on the way back. Time-wise, if you hit everything right, you can fly to Couples quicker than taking the bus or private car. However, you can wait a while for someone to come pick you up (I know, if you're in Negril you can walk to CN) and it can take a while to get off the ground in MB (how much do you weigh, go through "security", have to get fuel, waiting for 1 or 2 (or was it 3) more). We waited in Ocho Rios (Boscobel?) for over an hour for a plane to pick us up once for the return trip. Don't get me wrong, the flight is fantastic and the bus ride can get scary, but I don't think its saves much if any time and definitely doesn't save any $$. Best flight of all - split stay at CTI and CN and flew cross island1 wow!

[QUOTE=muck;219408]It's not so much that we would be in a hurry. It's just that we don't want to be stuck on a bus with people we don't know who will "decide for us" when and where (and if) we will stop along the way.

When we took the Couples Shuttle in 2013, we were the only couple on the shuttle, so it was a private transfer anyway! The driver was wonderful, giving us the grand tour and answering all our questions. We really enjoyed the trip, and considered it part of the vacation experience. You're only sharing the Couples shuttle with other couples guests headed to the same side of the island IF there are any others on the shuttle. Aren't you going to be friendly to the other guests while you are at the resort? The shuttle would be a good place to start.

Nancy
    CTI - 2013
    CN - 2015

While I do see the benefits of a private transfer, we have met people that we are still friends with today on that shuttle ride to the resort.

When using the transportation provided by Couples, what is considered a proper tip per couple?? I usually over tip if the service is good, but I do need a baseline.

Quote Originally Posted by Nautical4life View Post
    When using the transportation provided by Couples, what is considered a proper tip per couple?? I usually over tip if the service is good, but I do need a baseline.
    We've always tipped $10 total for both of us, but I know some tip $20/couple. And for the porter that loads your bags at the airport, $1/bag.

Caviargal, do you book your flight to Negril through the resort or separately? Thanks !

If there is a storm, your not taking off.
    I have never waited more than 30min for a shuttle in three trips.
    Maybe I'd like a car if I could sleep in it. Last two years we did not stop.
    Its 90 min ride and with snacks I see no need to stop to eat. Usually we enjoy that first lunch if our room is not ready. If its ready, we change, and eat lunch on the beach. Then take a nap.

Clubmobay is good if you know the airport is busy. We club Mobay on the departure. Price of TimAir is super high now.

We have always used the free shuttle as well, but this time decided to go with private transfer. We're looking forward to getting to CSA on our own schedule

Since I'm the OP that started this thread with the question, I guess I should follow up with our experience using a private transport. We loved it. Driver had a cooler with Red Strip bottles on ice waiting for us. There were four of us (two couples) and the cost was $30 per couple. We didn't save any time as we stopped a few times on the way down, which was great.

I understand the attraction of the free shuttle....because it's free. But our experience with it was no so much fun. On our first visit, we were on a packed shuttle. Based on what I was overhearing, it seemed that a majority of people were interested in a stop but one loud person up front overruled us all and decided that SHE wanted to get to Couples as fast as she could. I just thought that was kind of rude considering she wasn't the only person on that shuttle. She didn't ask for a show of hands, she just decided to make the call for everyone. Whatever.

For us, having our own driver was much more enjoyable. It felt like our vacation started as soon as we got into his van.

BTW, just booked trip #3 to CSA for Dec '16. That just seems so far off....

Quote Originally Posted by muck View Post
    Since I'm the OP that started this thread with the question, I guess I should follow up with our experience using a private transport. We loved it. Driver had a cooler with Red Strip bottles on ice waiting for us. There were four of us (two couples) and the cost was $30 per couple. We didn't save any time as we stopped a few times on the way down, which was great.

I understand the attraction of the free shuttle....because it's free. But our experience with it was no so much fun. On our first visit, we were on a packed shuttle. Based on what I was overhearing, it seemed that a majority of people were interested in a stop but one loud person up front overruled us all and decided that SHE wanted to get to Couples as fast as she could. I just thought that was kind of rude considering she wasn't the only person on that shuttle. She didn't ask for a show of hands, she just decided to make the call for everyone. Whatever.

For us, having our own driver was much more enjoyable. It felt like our vacation started as soon as we got into his van.

BTW, just booked trip #3 to CSA for Dec '16. That just seems so far off....
    Muck,
    Did you book it through Couples or through a different driver service?

Quote Originally Posted by SCHLIEVEA View Post
    Muck,
    Book the private transfer? I emailed them directly. You can find a list of drivers over on Tripadvisor.com.

Years ago the activity directors would welcome you at the airport and join you on the shuttle bus to the resort. They brought a cooler full of Red Stripe and soft drinks. The trip was FUN. Maybe Couples should revise this way of welcoming guests? 20 Days to CTI, Ed & Lynn

In 84+
    triples to Couples we have take the Shuttle 99% of the time.

We take a private transfer arranged by Couples. Why? We aren't looking to meet other people - we come to Couples to spend time with each other and don't want to spend our ride talking to people we don't know. Also, we don't want to have to stop for others to smoke, drink, etc. it's not about rushing but one time we stopped for 25 mins b/c a couple of passengers couldn't wait 20 mins to smoke and a couple more had to have another beer, even though plenty of free alcohol at Couples was only a few miles away. For us it's worth the extra cost to travel alone, but for most the free shuttle is fast and fine.

Default private transfer

Quote Originally Posted by SCHLIEVEA View Post
    Muck,
    We just came back from CN and did the private transfer with Joe Cool taxi and it was perfect. Driver was waiting for us after we got out of customs etc. Very nice guy. $60 + tip. Will definitely book with them again.

You will need to tip the baggage handlers no matter what - and you will need to tip the taxi driver also - so there really is no savings there. We have only waited about 20 minutes to be on our way in the Couples provided van...and one time we were the ONLY couple on it! So we had a private ride in. Even the times we were riding with other people, it was a great way to chat with guests that are also headed to Couples. Granted, they may not ALL be going to the exact same resort, but still, it made for a nice trip and made the time fly by.

Nancy
    CTI - 2013
    CN - 2015
    CSS - 2017

taken the shuttle 3 times...each time there were no more than 3 other couples, once it was one other couple...first timers. simply tell the driver you don't need a pit stop and the ride is an hour 40 min. God forbid you have to speak to someone you don't know!

Count us in on the 'shuttle' group.

We've been to multiple resorts in Jamaica and taken the shuttle and private.

We embrace the shuttle/bus. It's fun. We talk and laugh. We bring out drinks! If folks want to stop we are ok with it... more talking, laughing and drinking.

The way we see it, our vacation starts when we leave the country.... part of the unknown and the fun ... and ya really can't stress with a Red Stripe!

Home again in March!

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by bcarey2k View Post
    ... and ya really can't stress with a Red Stripe!
    Words of wisdom, indeed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2