Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Hopefully up and running by the 22nd when we arrive!! Looking good.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckandgail View Post
    I think that bar is actually for the pole dancing pool they are going to be putting in the hut tub!
    Oh man! pole dancing in the nude hot tub?!?!?! Awesome idea!

CSS April 29-May 10, 2013

The silence around potential pool renos and an associated schedule are starting to make me nervous......

Woohoo!! Can't wait to try it out in December!!

Quote Originally Posted by Stan View Post
    The silence around potential pool renos and an associated schedule are starting to make me nervous......
    Starting to feel the same way, Stan... though I am not there til Nov. 17.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan View Post
    Why get all worked up about it? In the event of a pool renovation, it is highly unlikely they would completely shut SSB down, since there is actually a beach, a bathroom and a bar available. Sure, you might be out of the actual pool, but you'd still be at SSB and still be nude.

Randy's "official" response was that this hot tub renovation was the only thing definite. Everything else is rumor and speculation.

His official response:

randymon

We do have lots of plans but at the moment the only thing that I can confirm is the jacuzzi project. We have submitted that project for approval and hope to start work shortly.

Of course, we obviously recognize how fast our AN clientele is growing - so we have made that area a point of emphasis on our project wish list. If anything else starts to come to fruition I'll send you an update.

Quote Originally Posted by Allans_Angel View Post
    Why get all worked up about it? In the event of a pool renovation, it is highly unlikely they would completely shut SSB down, since there is actually a beach, a bathroom and a bar available. Sure, you might be out of the actual pool, but you'd still be at SSB and still be nude.

Randy's "official" response was that this hot tub renovation was the only thing definite. Everything else is rumor and speculation.

X
    His official response:

randymon

We do have lots of plans but at the moment the only thing that I can confirm is the jacuzzi project. We have submitted that project for approval and hope to start work shortly.

Of course, we obviously recognize how fast our AN clientele is growing - so we have made that area a point of emphasis on our project wish list. If anything else starts to come to fruition I'll send you an update.

This is disappointing. Not the work but that it apparently will be happening while we are there. This is our first time at a Couples resort. SSB is the closest we've found to Braco and their AN facilities and we were really looking forward to our trip. Even the threat of marginal to bad weather wasn't getting us down. But we are pool people rather than beach people. So the lack of the pool at SSB may be enough to make our first Couples vacation a disappointment. Luckily we have cancel for any reason insurance. We might have to discuss using this option.
    Last edited by TravelwithWife; September 13th, 2013 at 11:29 AM.

We arrive on the 21st, and after Randy's update today I wish we would have chosen a different resort. We were going to CSS because of all the great things said here on the boards. We probably should have stayed at CN, but we wanted something different. Hopefully when Randy says it will start next week it will be on Jamaica time, as the finish of the jacuzzi was to be by Sept 1 and still looks to be a month away, at this rate the pool won't be done by Christmas.

Is it ok to get worked up now?
    This will dampen our vacation. We are at SSB pool everyday, all day, and don't particularly want to be on the beach, but love the AN section. Had we been given advance notice of these renovations we would not have booked but since we arrive in 3weeks and everything is paid for and can't be changed, we are stuck!!! Just in case you can't tell, I'm devastated. The vacation I've been dreaming about all year just changed drastically.

Check out Randymon's thread on the main board. Looks like LOTS of new stuff at SSB. Just hope it doesn't take too long. Jamaican time and all....

LOL

Can't wait to see it in February!
    CSS 2010, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018

Hey Tammy,

We are in the same boat as you guys. We had such a great time last year, it was an awesome group there that week. Thanks to "R" the trivia king!!! Not really looking forward to being there during construction. I work in construction so vacationing in construction is NOT ok with me. I can change my dates, but Gillian cannot, and we are under the 45 days to cancel.
    I think because of the short notice, management should give those of us who wish to do so to change resorts for our time there. SSB is our fave, and I have certainly scoped out the other Couples resorts, and still love San Souci more. May have to just grin and bear it...

Ouch on the pool construction timing. We chose CSS because of the AN facilities and would spend the vast majority of our time at the AN pool. Good it is being done I guess, but the short notice means we can't change our plans. Hopefully they bring in the A-team to at least get the work done on schedule.

novastar I'm with you. I too am in the construction industry and the last thing I want is to vacation were I am reminded of my job everyday. Rumors of these changes have been circulating for several months if not longer. People have been asking when the remodel might take place. If management had been more forth coming and at least given an approximate time frame then people could have planned around that. And if they still booked during that time then they shouldn't be too disappointed. For us we could have changed our dates but now that is not an option. We feel blindsided.

I'm not sure if we really want to change resorts. CTI is too much of a gamble with the possibility that the island will be red flagged. Especially this time of year. CN doesn't have a nude pool (which is what we are looking for). So as someone else said I guess we're stuck unless we want to cancel our trip. That also isn't really an option since this trip was 4 years in the planning.

Since we all purchased our vacations with a certain expectation and level of amenities and now that expectation / level has been changed by management I would hope they will go beyond simply allowing transfers to CTI and having a "temporary grill and bar" as compensation. My hope would be that they go above and beyond their normal level of service to make up for our loss. I'm not suggesting they compensate people financially but offer other activities or extra service, etc.

In any case we'll make the best of it because that's who we are. It will be a time for us to reconnect as a couple and to distress from life. Hopefully we'll still be able to meet up with the people on this board and become friends.

Hi Lloyd,
    We were soo looking forward to SSB and seeing everyone from last year. Now, I'm just scared. It's so nice to hear from you. If you contact Mr. Lynch directly, he may be able to help you change resorts. I suggested they lets us have the mineral pool and convert the smoothly bar to a full bar as a make shift AN section during the renovation. After all its a very under-utilized area, but they didn't seem too interested. Well all we can do now is hope for the best but I'm far from convinced that a pool reno can be completed in 14 days. Anyway, say hi to Gillian and hopefully we will see you soon.
    Tammy

Quote Originally Posted by TravelwithWife View Post

Since we all purchased our vacations with a certain expectation and level of amenities and now that expectation / level has been changed by management I would hope they will go beyond simply allowing transfers to CTI and having a "temporary grill and bar" as compensation. My hope would be that they go above and beyond their normal level of service to make up for our loss. I'm not suggesting they compensate people financially but offer other activities or extra service, etc.

In any case we'll make the best of it because that's who we are. It will be a time for us to reconnect as a couple and to distress from life. Hopefully we'll still be able to meet up with the people on this board and become friends.
    Travelwithwife, we will be there the same time you are. It seems like a great crowd that will be there that week. We arrive on the 23rd and will be there a week. We are still going. I think the people make or break it. We went to Couples Ocho Rios (now CTI) before they even had a pool on the island. All they had was a soda fountain and a keg of Red Stripe. I am not even sure I remember the Island having a bathroom on that trip. Still, the people we met on the island were a lot of fun, and that experience brought us back to COR three years later when they had (surprise) a pool and swim up bar. Again, the people made it fun, not necessarily the facilities. We look forward to meeting you and the rest of the crowd. Let's make "lemonade" out of the lemons.

Now, with regard to how the CSS staff has handled this SSB pool project, that is unsatisfactory from a customer service standpoint. Many people made their reservations with a certain level of service expected. That service will not be provided during our trip. Couples is a great company. They pride themselves on customer satisfaction. I suspect they know they screwed this one up. You mentioned not expecting monetary compensation. In the form of refunds for this trip, I would expect none. They have already deposited/spent our money. I would, however, be disappointed in the Couples brand if they did not offer some comp days on future trips for those SSB customers who are impacted by this construction that was long in the planning and short in the notification. That is good business. This is our fifth trip to a Couples property and we plan to take more. We'll see how they handle this situation.

In the meantime, let's have a great time next week. Maybe some beach volleyball, bocce ball, anything else the staff wants throw our way to make our experience better. And the first round is on us...I insist.

Default Worried about this reno

We are repeat guests coming to CSS at the beginning of October for our 20th anniversary and had hoped to spend the entire time at SSB.

We just noticed the announcement about the extensive pool renos and are a little annoyed about the timing of the announcement. It seems to have been made in just an insufficient amount of time to allow the affected people to make other arrangements. Very dis-heartening. We would have been happy to delay our stay at CSS to allow the work to be completed. But now we have no alternative but to hope the work is done by the time we get there. Like others have said - a 14 day pool reno does not sound feasible. This is say nothing about the poor folks who will be there during the heavy work in the next couple weeks.

We are happy that improvement work is proceeding, but would have appreciated a bit more clarity at an earlier date. We realize that this approach may reduce bookings during this time a little, but guests given the opportunity to make alternate arrangements will ultimately have a nice time at CSS when they do go. As it is, bookings will be unaffected in the short term, but perhaps some guests may be left disappointed with their stay.

We hate to be dramatic, but this is not a cheap vacation for us. We select this resort for the relaxing, pristine conditions at SSB. Any compensation planned for guests who are uncomfortable spending an all natural vacation on a beach inhabited by construction staff?

Hey Tammy,
    It's funny that great minds think alike. I also suggested to use the mineral pool for those days that SSB will be closed next week. I think because the thread that Randy started has been closed because of the many complaints that were levied ( most not posted, like mine ). I know some that have already switched over to CN and CSA. I do hope that the schedule of completion that Randy posted is realistic. The pool is supposed to be finished by the 30th, so that would mean only 2 days with no pool for us. Gillian and I have discussed it, and it seems that we will stay the line and not switch, but I will be checking with friends there over the next couple weeks to see how the renovation is progressing. I guess we can live without the pool for a few days, there is so much to CSS other than the SSB pool, I think we would miss all the other great stuff. Crossing my fingers that things go well. When are you guys arriving???

Jason,

You will love SSB with or without a pool. We also pretty much stick to the pool area when there, but there is so much more at CSS that I think we will be fine without a pool. Besides, with great people there, it shouldn't matter. We can have a blast in a tin can shack!!! Good food, good drinks, and good friends will make it GREAT!!!
    I know you guys are there earlier than us, but thankfully not next week when the whole thing is shut down. Make the best of it, and we will see you guys on the 28th. We arrive late, around 10pm and will be heading to the main beach bar for the first of many red stripes!!!

So the update from home... 13 days out, and I'm worried that the pool will not be completed by the 30th... will be checking with friends who will be there and some staff as to how the reno is going, and if all goes according to plan, there will only be 2 days without the use of the SSB pool. Crossing my fingers on this one. Actually thought about changing to CN, and after discussing with the wifey, we will suck it up and go. There are too many great things about CSS to not go just because one pool (our fave pool) may not be open. Needless to say, I have to go with the flow as I have been read the riot act...lol. Easy to see who is actually THE head of the household. I can do whatever I want, whenever I want... as long as it's ok with her. A happy wife means a happy life, so the story goes....

Can anyone tell us if and when the hot tube was completed? Pictures would be most appreciated!!!

Thanks novastar and 2domers. You've both helped talk me off the ledge. Even though we are both very disappointed with Couples and how this has been handled we remember that the most important thing is that this is a trip for the two of us to spend quality time with each other.

We are home based travel agents in addition to our regular jobs and have recommended and booked Couples resorts to many of our clients over the years. We decided to try Couples for the first time ourselves and CSS specifically because of the AN facilities. We previously had been Braco people and CSS best matched what we look for. Thank goodness this didn't happen to one of our clients. I can't imagine having to deal with this for someone that I had booked. My hope is to make it back some day to try out the AN pool since that is our desire. I guess we'll see how this trip shakes out and if we feel sufficiently spoiled in lieu of our now diminished trip.

Looking forward to meeting everyone. Hopefully fate won't throw salt in our wounds and the weather will be nice so we can try out the AN beach.

We were at CSS last week, leaving on Sunday the 15th. Sorry no pictures of the hot tub. During the early part of the week, no work was done - there was a tarp over the tub and I'm guessing that the concrete was curing. By the end of the week there were workmen there during the day. The smooth apron around the tub was completed, but there was no tile work yet done. I would guess a week or so for the tile work, another week or two to install the jets, heater and pumps, fill and test. So maybe early- to mid-October. But that is pure conjecture on my part.

As for the pool being open by the end of September, that seems unlikely. Based on conversations while there, I don't think anyone knows what is under the rock pile (grotto). The foundation rocks are easily over 1000 pounds, and when they are removed, how much of the pool bottom will come with them? How much repair work will need to be done?

Quote Originally Posted by TravelwithWife View Post
    Thanks novastar and 2domers. You've both helped talk me off the ledge. Even though we are both very disappointed with Couples and how this has been handled we remember that the most important thing is that this is a trip for the two of us to spend quality time with each other.

We are home based travel agents in addition to our regular jobs and have recommended and booked Couples resorts to many of our clients over the years. We decided to try Couples for the first time ourselves and CSS specifically because of the AN facilities. We previously had been Braco people and CSS best matched what we look for. Thank goodness this didn't happen to one of our clients. I can't imagine having to deal with this for someone that I had booked. My hope is to make it back some day to try out the AN pool since that is our desire. I guess we'll see how this trip shakes out and if we feel sufficiently spoiled in lieu of our now diminished trip.

Looking forward to meeting everyone. Hopefully fate won't throw salt in our wounds and the weather will be nice so we can try out the AN beach.
    Travelwithwife and others, we are flying in on the 28th so you will be there for several days before we get there. If you can find time while you are there, PLEASE keep us updated on the SSB conditions over the next several days. We almost changed resorts today, but decided to see how things develop next week. Things we are worried about: When it looks like pool will be open; construction noise; problems with construction workers gawking; available lounges on the beach since no one will be able to use the pool. We really don't want to change resorts if we can help it, but we need some impartial updates. Please don't make it a priority for your stay because you need to be enjoying yourself, but if you make it to a computer anyway, jump on this thread and give us an update. Thanks! Look forward to meeting you. Jim and Jess

Anyone have any pictures of the 'finished' hot tub?

44 days and counting till we are back at CSS! Starting to loose focus at work...:-)
    Chuck and Gail
    Washington DC area (Northern VA)
    CSS April 19th
    7th Trip to Couples (2xCSA 4xCSS 1xCTI)
    Too many trips to JA to count and still love it!

Will do JandJ. We also considered changing resorts but other things about it besides SSB make it very appealing to us. So we've decided to take our chances. We've been thinking about your concerns as well. Here is what we've concluded (I hope we're right). By the time we get there:
    Pool - Will not be open. There's no way they will complete the project in 14 days. Case in point, the hot tub is still not done and it was supposed to only take 10 days. This really sucks for us because we are more pool people.

Construction noise - The loudest part of the work (demo) should be completed. This is the work that would require heavy equipment.

Workers Gawking - Management did a pretty good job of enclosing the hot tub which it sounds like kept the interaction of guests and workers to a minimum. The hot tub is right next to the pool. In this case I would expect that they will completely screen the pool area from the beach. That is MY expectation and sense much of our vacation is messed up now I don't think it is a unreasonable expectation.

Loungers - This shouldn't be a problem. They have to put all the loungers that were around the pool somewhere. And the beach area is actually much bigger than the pool area. At least it looks that way. So I wouldn't let this concern you too much.

Look forward to meeting you when you get there. Look back on the Sept Getting to Know You thread for a picture we posted of ourselves. When you see us come up and say Hi and we'll buy a round of drinks!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast