Default First time to Jamaica, have lots of questions, need some help!

Hello!
    I have lots of questions to ask about the resort! We are going to CTI in January, if anyone can help me i would be very grateful!
    1) Do we need plug adapters to charge computer, camera batteries, e-readers?
    2) Are there hangers to hang up your clothes, and to put on to dry after rinsing them in the sink?
    3) Do we need to bring shampoo, soap, moisturizer, or does the resort supply this for you?
    4) How much is the hotel photographer?
    5) Complimentary wedding 'one love' pkg with stay of 6+ nights, what is this?
    6) What is cocktail attire?
    7) Where do you cash in travelers checks? Do the venders in town take travelers checks?
    8) Current activity schedule for hotel, is there one?
    9) We are traveling to the "all inclusive", so, saw that there will be a mini bar in the room after August, and is that included in the " all inclusive" price or is that extra?
    10) Do we need to pre-book for Dolphin Cove at treasure reef? Is there a lot of people there in January?

Thanks so much to anyone who can answer these questions for me... I am so excited to go, that I have started packing already!! LOL!

1) where are you coming from? the plug style is "north america"... the actual current (?) is slightly lower, so things like phones charge slower, but it should work if you're from the US

2)yes... hangers in the closet are hotel style (i.e you can't steal them), but they're there... there's also a rack outside on the balcony

3) resort supplies all that.. they are Gilchrist & Soames.... spa quality products (i.e they are good and smell good love them!)... no conditioner, if needed, bring your own

4) not sure

5) details on website... basically i believe it's a free wedding package (i think you'll need to pay the paperwork fees)... if you're thinking about getting married, i'd not wait too long, most resorts like to have your paperwork a few months in advance so they can process it...

6) think as if you were going out for dinner and drinks at a fancy place... a nice sundress and pretty sandals (not your nike flip flops ) works for the ladies... long (non-jean) pants, a closed toe dress shoe (can be dockers sort... just no runners or sandals), and a collared shirt (can be short sleeves) for the gentlemen... we found that the dress code wasn't as big a deal at bayside as at 8 rivers (which is air conditioned so the men won't mind the pants much, good idea to bring a shawl or something, i was a touch chilly, but a few drinks cured that lol)

7) front desk would probably do it, otherwise a cambio in town... vendors i'd doubt it, some of the more upscale shops might, but not sure there...

8)we found this one to be pretty close... some things are weather dependant obviously...
    http://couples.com/tower-isle/activities-schedule.pdf

9) mini bar is included... will be stocked with softdrinks and beer in your room... fill out the form to note which alcohol you will get and full bottles of your selection will be left the next day... bottle for bottle exchange (appletons, vodka, gin, champange ect)... also specify any soft drinks you want too.. no water in the fridge, use the refillable container provided and fill up at any "fountain" or at the bar... there's also a pitcher of ice water refilled by the maid every day...

10) shouldn't have to pre-book dolphin cove... sometimes easier not to if you're not sure if you want to stay or not... one idea is to pay the "admission" and then decide once you get there what package(s) you want... that way you can see what you are getting and make the call.. just a thought.. i've actually never done it

hope that helps some.
    Enjoy!!!

Holly-
    1. The electrical outlest are just as in the US, so no special adapters needed (unless you are coming from Europe)
    2. There are plenty of hangers in the room. If you need extras, just ask for them.
    3. The do have dispensers with shampoo, shower gel, bars of soap (like most hotels). I still bring my own, because it is what I like.
    4 Don't know, never did it, but if you are planning a wedding, the wedding coordinator there should be able to help you.
    5. I believe this is a special wedding package, but there again the wedding coordinator should be able to help you.
    6. For a woman it is just a dress, or dressy pants. Most women will wear sun dresses and nice sandles. For men it is long pants and a collared shirt with closed toe shoes.
    7. Actually, you are probably better to bring cash rather than travelers checks. They like American dollars, so that would be fine. We have never taken travelers checks in the 3 times we came, and never had a problem. We usually bring between $200-300 and never use it all. The resort, and the gift shop on the resorts will bill everything to your room, that is the reason for the credit card at check in. Then when you check out you can either pay cash for it, or just leave it on you credit card.
    8. The activity scheudules vary, so it is hard to get one for a future date.
    9. Couples "All Inclusive" is just that. the only things that are extras would be the spa services, and if you are very particular on your wine, the extra wine lists has a cost. If you drink the house wines, they are included. If you do some night snorkles or night dives, I think they also charge for them. Otherwise, anything you consume is all included, including the mini bar and all food.
    10. You can pre book if you want, but I believe they will help you book these things at the desk on the resort. The chorse is yours.
    Linda

I can help with a few of the questions:
    1. No there's not alot of outlets but we've never needed an adaptor
    2.Yes there are hangers. We usually bring a couple anyway
    3. We pack our own and I can't remember if there's any in the rooms
    4.Depends on the picture package you buy
    5.??
    6.Really I've seen it all from cut off shorts to very formal, I pack a pair of slacks and a couple shirts for dinner or a nice pair of shorts and a polo my wife packs dresses. When we were there a guy brought along his violin and played with the piano player, both were amazing!!
    7.You can cash these at the resort or exchange money by the front desk, after our first trip we just bring cash its easier to deal with. Make sure to ask for change in U.S. $ if you pay in U.S. $ and like anywhere in the world don't flash a big roll of $
    8.Each morning by the breakfast buffet there's an activity board with a list and times and place
    9.Yes the mini bar is included, they are full size bottles not the little mini bottles though. Each night you can put out a list of what you might need.
    10. Not sure it was still under construction when we were there

The first time we went we over packed like you wouldn't believe, we found we live in our swim wear all day and change into dinner clothes at night. I'm now down to a carry on, my wife is another story, lol

Welcome to the Couples family.

Have your checked the FQA page?

1) Do we need plug adapters to charge computer, camera batteries, e-readers?No
    2) Are there hangers to hang up your clothes, and to put on to dry after rinsing them in the sink?Yes
    3) Do we need to bring shampoo, soap, moisturizer, or does the resort supply this for you?Tthey have shampoo,soap,and moisturizer but we bring our own shampoo and conditioner

6) What is cocktail attire?Cute dress and shoes for women and long pants collared shirt with closed toe shoes that are not tennis for men.
    7) Where do you cash in travelers checks? Do the venders in town take travelers checks?most people bring cash, small bill.

9) We are traveling to the "all inclusive", so, saw that there will be a mini bar in the room after August, and is that included in the " all inclusive" price or is that extra?It is included, there should be a card in room for you to fill out with what you would like to have

Hope this helps alittle. Your going to love Couples.

Quote Originally Posted by hollyscopper View Post
    Hello!
    I have lots of questions to ask about the resort! We are going to CTI in January, if anyone can help me i would be very grateful!
    1) Do we need plug adapters to charge computer, camera batteries, e-readers?

No

2) Are there hangers to hang up your clothes, and to put on to dry after rinsing them in the sink?

Yes

3) Do we need to bring shampoo, soap, moisturizer, or does the resort supply this for you?

No, they supply these

4) How much is the hotel photographer?
    5) Complimentary wedding 'one love' pkg with stay of 6+ nights, what is this?

No idea

6) What is cocktail attire?
    7) Where do you cash in travelers checks? Do the venders in town take travelers checks?

Take some cash (US) and use credit cards for everything else. Travelers checks are a huge pain in 2011.

8) Current activity schedule for hotel, is there one?

There is one posted at the hotel

9) We are traveling to the "all inclusive", so, saw that there will be a mini bar in the room after August, and is that included in the " all inclusive" price or is that extra?

If there is a mini bar in your room, it is included. We rarely use it, the drinks at the bar are better than a rum and coke in the room.

10) Do we need to pre-book for Dolphin Cove at treasure reef? Is there a lot of people there in January?

Never done that, but I am sure the excursions desk will help you and answer any questions.

Thanks so much to anyone who can answer these questions for me... I am so excited to go, that I have started packing already!! LOL!

Looks like most of your questions have been answered, except #4. The photographer is free in the sense that there is no fee to have a photo session. My husband and I had 2 sessions last year for our 1oth anniversary at CTI. The first session was a "fun" session in our swimsuits on the beach and in the water, the second session was a formal session around the grounds and at sunset. We had SO much fun doing the photo shoot! The only cost is the photos you want to purchase. We bought a cd with pics and a couple prints to frame. With the cd, you get the rights to the pics so you can print out whatever you want!!! Hope that helps!

Thanks everyone!! Have one more question! How is the deep sea fishing in January and anyone recommend a certain boat crew to rent?

Quote Originally Posted by hawkgroup View Post
    The first time we went we over packed like you wouldn't believe, we found we live in our swim wear all day and change into dinner clothes at night. I'm now down to a carry on, my wife is another story, lol
    Great point about over packing. I did the same thing our first time. Now I manage to pack everything in a very small suitcase with just bathing suits, a few sun dresses, a couple cover ups and just a couple pairs of shoes. My husband is VERY impressed cause I am a little.. ok... a lot... high maintenance. Its the easiest trip to pack for!

Couples Ocho Rios 2005/2006
    CSA 2009/2010/2011/
    2012 x2/2013 x2

Jamaica is hot and casual so don't pack tons of makeup and fancy clothes, a cute skirt and top or sundress is perfect for evening, even cropped pants work well especially on the beach party nights. You won't want to wear much jewelery or makeup because it's hot even at night. During the day you will most likely be in swim suits and coverups from morning till evening, bring lots of those. You might want work out clothes or long pants to go horseback riding, just make sure they are light weight. I've been to Jamaica many times and never need sweaters or jackets except possibly a very light something over the shoulders at night in the fancy restaurant because of the AC. Jamaica is very laid back and the problem most people have is they want things to run on US city time and they run on relaxed Jamaica time so my best advice to you is to plan on that and don't expect anyone to be in a hurry. Once you relax into that mode it's quite nice...